• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

REJECTED by 83%!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Staffing aircraft won't be easy, with expected attrition and no pilots coming in the challenge will be to reduce the fleet fast enough to keep up with pilot attrition.

If there is a merger, it will be because the combined company is become small enough to make it sensible

I've been hearing about this pilot shortage for over 3 years. Every fall it's "gonna be in the spring". Every spring it's "coming at the end of fall".. I don't buy it any more.

The managers of our industry are very worried, which carries more weight than fi.com. We can't cover attrition now and when dal and aa spool up it will really hit hard.

I've been hearing about this pilot shortage for over 3 years. Every fall it's "gonna be in the spring". Every spring it's "coming at the end of fall".. I don't buy it any more.

In the TA, the company wanted to be able to fly captains in the right seat for 20 hours a month. The ERJ guys have been offered 200% on trips for quite a while now. The company has taken away guys vaca in February. The company not replacing RDO's. And the LASA side still hiring and upgrading after parking a bunch of dl 200's. This is all going on at XJT.

Then you have signing bonuses at some airlines. Cash for referal programs at some airlines. Cancelled flights at some due to "crew availability".

Sounds like we are getting short of bodies at the regionals to me.

Last edited:

You are correct, the term "pilot shortage" has been thrown around so frequently for so long that its lost all of its luster. I actually cringe when I hear/see people refer to it.

That said, I can tell you without question that XJT is in trouble right now with regards to staffing. We need more pilots. We can't get them. We are canceling vacations in Feb which means we will be canceling vacations throughout the year. We aren't restoring lost days off in accordance with our CPA. We are canceling dozens of flights a day (86 and counting today) because airplanes are parked with no one to crew them.

That is all fact.

That makes the outcome of our vote yesterday all the more significant. Will SKYW have staffing issues for their large A/C orders of the future? Candidly, I have no idea and I could care less.

As for now, things aren't so good and getting worse by week. We got the attention of a lot of people yesterday. In ATL, in SGU, in ORD, and hopefully in DFW.

There aren't 4,600 pilots coming to save the day. Or the week. Or the year.

That's precisely the plan. You'll see it all starting to happen as early as this June. ExpressJet side will slowly shrink away, while SkyWest side will get all the new contracts and aircraft. That writing has been on the wall for about two years now.

Not all the aircraft, just the 70+ seaters. The others will be parked. And I would vote no again until it includes one list.

Last edited:
To quote Avbug, where ever he might be, there will never be a pilot shortage. But there is a growing hiring boom that started in 2012. As predicted back in 2010 it will hit the regionals and bottom feeders first, but it is coming to the majors. After all the majors skim all of the astronaut candidates off the top of the resume pile, they will be forced to start looking for qualified people. Just like 1998 when all the airlines said we have 15,000 resumes on hand, the trouble was they all had the same 15,000 resumes. After 15 months of hiring, the resume piles were very small. It is coming again. Already I have the college degree thing go to preferred on some job sites.

How sad. I guess the company really never had any respect for the XJT pilot group, since this was their plan all along, and they never shared it. Oh well, back to my hot fudge Sunday.

Regionals won't be around in 5-10 years. The smart ones will leave and the old dumb ones will be left behind. What happened to my kooshy regional job?! :confused:

Latest resources

Back