regional vs. fractional?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Caveman said:
If you were to state that Hank Aaron was the greatest homerun hitter of all time and I wasn't a baseball fan I would say, "Oh yeah, why?"

I understand completely. I was trying to keep posts short and to the point, but I'll add the necessary details from now on. I realize some people are new to this board and may not have followed this side of the industry as long as others.

Regards,
NJA Capt

My .02

I used to work at Travel Air and now I work at Flight Options. Here is my .02:

Regarding going to the majors: The NetJet pilot is right. Majors do hire fractional pilots. A lot of them. (That is, if and when they ever hire.) For some strange reason, my friends who are at the regionals don't want to believe this. But it is true; you can go from frax to majors fairly easily. Jet PIC is Jet PIC.

Regarding base location: Flight Options policy is that you can live whereever you want as long as you are one hour from an airport that is served by three airlines that have six flights a day. So, in addition to the major airports, you can chose domiciles like El Paso, TX, Fresno, CA, and WIchita, KS. Get the picture? Pretty sweet deal.

As far as leaving a regional to go to a frac: If you are a captain at a good regional(Skywest, Comair, Horizon, etc.) DON'T GO TO A FRAX. You would give up too much coming here. However if you work for a dog-meat regional(Lakes) or, are a decade away from upgrade(Eagle), then come on down!! We have plenty of ex-Lakes, ex-Eagle and ex-Mesa on our staff. They all seem to be pretty happy to not be at their regional anymore.

Regarding jumpseat: Options has, I believe, an agreement with AirTran. I have never tried it as I live west of the Mississippi. But, so what! You don't need a jumpseat to get to work. The company pays for your airline ticket to get to and from work. Jumpseat to go on vacation? Don't need it. In two years, I have accrued enough miles that I have redeemed them for six round trip tickets to Hawaii plus two round trip tickets on domestic flights.

Downside of frax: Guaranteed to be gone half the year.

I apologize if I have repeated anything that was previously mentiioned. fly26, if you any questioins re: Flight Options, PM me. Take care. :cool:

There are a lot of misconceptions at 121 operators about fractionals, 135 jet operators, and part 91 flight departments.

I remember being asked at an airline interview, "Here at ____ Airline, we utilize something called CRM. Do you have any crew experience?", needless to say, I nearly burst out laughing.

I felt like telling them the truth- that I was far more familiar with CRM than they were, since it was an absolute necessity while shooting circling approaches into unfamiliar, non-air carrier airports without the benefit of Runway Analysis, Dispatchers, etc . . . . and that our SOP's were actually more detailed than their 121 SOP's- but, needless to say, I simply told them that I was PIC in an aircraft that was type-certificated for two pilots, and that I attended recurrent training at FSI every six months, and that CRM was a regular part of our curriculum . . . . (I was offered the job, but turned it down).

Other misconceptions- that you can't go to a major from the left seat of a corporate jet (dozens of my friends have!) and that all corporate jobs are being tied to a pager, and/or flying some "rich dude around" . . . . they would be surprised to find that I didn't have a pager, and that the airplane was operated as a tool, not as a toy.

BTW, those hotel points come in real handy- I never paid for a hotel or crashpad all throughout 4 weeks of training- I spent a week at the Hilton, a week at Embassy Suites, a week a Holiday Inn, etc, using up hotel points, and I still have 100,000 Hilton points left!

Regional v. Fractional

I have worked for both an excellent regional (Atlantic Coast) and the leading fractional (NetJets). Although this was not my path, I only know of senior captains at ACA leaving for NetJets. I do not know of anyone at NetJets who ever left to fly for a regional.

My assessment of the differences is that you will work about as hard at both jobs generally, althoug the effort is spent on different things. At ACA, most of my effort as a Captain was spent arguing with underqualified dispatchers trying to send me into unsafe conditions and schedulers who did not know our contract demanding that I fly illegal trips. At NetJets, there is a bit more involvement in aircraft care and paperwork. To me, the effort is a wash, and I'd much rather spend my time doing something positive (preparing the aircraft for a trip) than negative (arguing with people who are supposed to be on my team).

Career options? Truthfully, I could not have spent a career at ACA. The stress of dealing with ops day to day was incredible. I have only been at NetJets 5 months, but can definitely see it as a career option IF the pay goes up.

If your goal is the majors, either road is fine. I have been a captain in both environments. Turbine PIC is turbine PIC. Period.

Cheers, and good luck.

Frac daddy said,

If you are at a good regional like Comair as a captain do not leave. Well I would expext nothing less from a about to go bankrupt flight options pilot. Sorry had to bash a flight options guy.

I was a five year RJ captain at Comair and the job SUCKED. I hope you like small loser cities for layovers, cause even though they go to most of the big cities, they do not stay there, or they stay, at the airport days inn.

Gee, there is the food, hotels and places you get to go here at netjets also. The pay sucks, but I am earning 6th year captain pay here also with a little overtime in the second year and that does not include my free stek dinners. That is about 8k in salary alone in a years time.

As far as the majors go, none will be hiring for a lomg time, expect frieght. I am being offered a interview with one one the big frieght dogs right now and it cause of guys I meet here at netjets. You meet a lot of the who knows who here compared at the regional level. I am very happy here and want to stay as long as the pay goes up, which I believe it will.

I am not knocking on any regional pilot, as I enjoyed many at Comair and their flying skills, but the grass is greener on this side of the fence.

I see writing skills are not required NetJets. That was the second worst post I've read on this board. The first was the guy commenting why an education wasn't required to be a pilot. Rufus, just what on earth are you saying?

The way I read it is your leaving the Frac industry. Are you? What's this 6th year Capt pay in your 2nd year with overtime? Are you saying if I work 365, then I could make 20 year Capt pay? It's either your 2nd year or your 6th year. Don't include overtime. What's the free "stek" dinner that's worth 8k a year? A $20 dinner 365 isn't even 8k? Are you saying NetJets' passengers buy you dinner every night?? I know they don't, but that's how it comes across.

To answer the question. Fracs or regional?
I have worked at both. I left Eagle to join Netjets 6 years ago.
I make better money than Eagle,and I enjoy the life style much more. For those who say not. OK . I will not argue, but the contract I left in 96 did not offer much of a future, but with Netjets I at least had potential,and I took the gamble.
Does this mean I would not recommend a regional. No. The life style just did not fit my personality.
I enjoy my 7/7 (takes some getting use to) and my 3 weeks vacation. The pay is low when compared to other fracs and corporate pilots. This is under current contract talks just as Southwest pilot are talking to thier managment.
Enough of my ramble,and I guess the simple answer to the millon dollar question is ?????
If you are looking for exact numbers of pay and beneies just look at our web for netjet pilots.
www.ejapilots.com
P.S. I do not have any of the other fracs handy.

infoman said:
If you are looking for exact numbers of pay and beneies just look at our web for netjet pilots.
www.ejapilots.com

infoman,
The NJA pilots' website has been updated and the areas you referenced are now on the secure side of the site. The only things public now are the links and hiring info.

For those looking for other details you can continue to ask questions on this board or try fracstats.com. The site is being remodeled but some of the top menus still work.

For the record, I have been here four years and have loved every minute of it. I am hearing more and more people say they used the commuters as a stepping stone to get to NetJets.

Glad to be here,
NJA Capt

PS...Rufus,
Your post made no sense.

NJA CAPT
Thanks for heads up.
I guess if people want to know specifics they
will have to ask on this board.

Latest resources

Back