Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Regional pilot tries to run down cops with plane!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

buscap

We have got to stop these darn regional pilots!!! They are such a problem!!!

ATLANTA (Reuters) - Delta Air Lines Inc said on Thursday it has suspended a pilot who was charged with attempting to run down police officers with his private plane at a metro-Atlanta airport.

Dan Gryder, the pilot, is being held in Spalding County Jail in Griffin, Georgia, charged with aggravated assault and obstruction, according to a statement from the Griffin Police Department.

Two code enforcement officers attempted to issue six citations to Gryder on Wednesday at the Griffin-Spalding Airport, the statement said. Gryder refused to sign the tickets, boarded his 1937 DC-3A plane, and started it up, police said. Gryder almost struck one officer's vehicle with the plane, the statement added.

Gryder eventually shut down the plane after his request for a fuel truck was denied, and was taken into custody.

"He essentially shut the airport down for almost 45 minutes," Griffin police investigator Bryan Clanton said in the statement.

Delta spokesman Anthony Black said in an email on Thursday that Gryder is a Delta pilot and has been suspended pending the completion of the investigation.

Last month, Delta suspended two Northwest Airlines pilots who overflew their destination and lost contact with air controllers during an October 21 flight from San Diego to Minneapolis. The pair told aviation officials they were discussing company policy and using their laptops.

(Reporting by Karen Jacobs)

I'm surprised they didn't mention that 6A2 is "uncontrolled" and "has NO CONTROL TOWER!!!".

The pilot is a good guy.

It was probably some cop wanna-be got his panties in a wad, wanted to flex his muscle.

Are you kidding me? Code enforcement officers. The same people who put letters in your mailbox for having a basketball goal in your driveway? Do they have power of arrest? Or did they call 911 and say some crazy pilot was about to run them down.

Picture yourself at the field about to start up and some Junior-ranger AFROTC type wants to give you a "citation". Would you listen to him? Or would you "almost run him down" by starting up and taxiing past his scooter in your Antique DC-3?

MOVE!!

Last edited:
The pilot is a good guy.

It was probably some cop wanna-be got his panties in a wad, wanted to flex his muscle.

Are you kidding me? Code enforcement officers. The same people who put letters in your mailbox for having a basketball goal in your driveway? Do they have power of arrest? Or did they call 911 and say some crazy pilot was about to run them down.

Picture yourself at the field about to start up and some Junior-ranger AFROTC type wants to give you a "citation". Would you listen to him? Or would you "almost run him down" by starting up and taxiing past his scooter in your Antique DC-3?

MOVE!!

Yeah man.... down with authority... by all means run that f*cker over! :rolleyes:

You have to respect the authority of the armed tax collector. Sounds like he didn't so they created bogus charges that are probably nothing but typical cop drama and made up BS so they can remind him of who's the boss.

Rest easy in Atlanta tonight. The streets safe with Barney and Gomer on the job.

The pilot is a good guy.

MOVE!!

Are you kidding me? This guy is an idiot. Police officers are not the only enforcers of our laws. If someone is issuing you a citation you are a fool to argue.

Remember, Delta pilots think they are god on earth. So why not strike down some tax collectors from above. Its very biblical.

I'm surprised they didn't mention that 6A2 is "uncontrolled" and "has NO CONTROL TOWER!!!".

This version didn't include the important part about this guy driving his car all over the runways and taxiways. Many smaller uncontrolled airports do have regulations against driving cars around the places where planes can be operating-for obvious reasons. The citations started with the car, and progressed once he threatened to run people over with his plane.

-Real classy-ace.

This version didn't include the important part about this guy driving his car all over the runways and taxiways. Many smaller uncontrolled airports do have regulations against driving cars around the places where planes can be operating-for obvious reasons. The citations started with the car, and progressed once he threatened to run people over with his plane.

-Real classy-ace.

I understand that. I am just surprised the news article didn't point out that the field has no control tower and pilots can just take off and land without anybody's permission.

Latest resources

Back