Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Regional pilot tries to run down cops with plane!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I understand that. I am just surprised the news article didn't point out that the field has no control tower and pilots can just take off and land without anybody's permission.

Yes.... I think that is correct. I think the attempt to run people over is where things got a bit pissy-bad form, no matter how you cut it-controlled or uncontrolled, things are likely to end poorly.

-I just wonder what the FAA will do to this jerk-should be interesting.

really? He attempted to run someone over with a DC3? Have you ever been around a DC3? It's not like they can really sneak up behind you, or swiftly attack you like they're a Ninja. It's a friggin DC3.
I'm guessing Paul Blart:Airport Code Officer blew the story out of proportion.

When I worked banner tow some dude would come over and give the boss a citation every day. It had a "suggested fee" for "voluntary" noise abatement violations. he had a full drawer of them, it was great.

When I worked banner tow some dude would come over and give the boss a citation every day. It had a "suggested fee" for "voluntary" noise abatement violations. he had a full drawer of them, it was great.
The State of Illinois sends it's pilots a "suggested" $10 fee to keep their pilots license "current" on a yearly basis.
It's amazing how many people don't think about it, and pay the state $10 every year to keep their license.
It's a Federal License, not a State.

The State of Illinois sends it's pilots a "suggested" $10 fee to keep their pilots license "current" on a yearly basis.
It's amazing how many people don't think about it, and pay the state $10 every year to keep their license.

Back in the early 90's the state of Illinois would tell you that if you didnt pay the fee then you could not legally air navigate over Illinois or land in Illinois, I asked the FSDO (known then as GADO) and they confirmed it, they also said though that folks from other states (who obviously were not asked to pay the fee) were welcome in Illinois.

HA!

The Code Enforcement Officials in question had been known to ask about oil quantity in an airplane's engine and when you answered appropriately for a large engine they would write a citation for illegally storing oil.

No, I'm not making that up.

At my local airport (not Griffin) where Dad and I helped lay out and build the taxiways with our own supplies they decided we could not drive on the ramp without signing up for their vehicle safety course, that they did not offer. Same with washing an airplane, now it is "illegal" without their also unavailable HazMat course. But the airport manager's buddy will wash your airplane for a few hundred dollars. Apparently he's the only one qualified and most of the time the guy has Mexicans spraying 401 on everything in sight (not good for aluminum).

At small airports driving your car out and parking by your airplane is a regular occurrence. For some reason the "Code Enforcement Officials" feel that only they can drive around the ramp - go figure.

Griffin's just trying to hide the fact they permitted a bunch of building in the airport's required runway clear zone and now they want to have all the big airplanes move off field before someone does another aborted take off and blows up the Piggly Wiggley (no, not kidding about that either)

Although I agree there are many stupid laws, I still can not imagine a critical thinking professional pilot doing anything but saying thank you for the ticket and taking the issue to the judge or city office that it demands. If they made demands that seemed out of line he should have called 911, not cranked number 1. I am willing to bet that the code enforcement folks knew the law and the delta guy broke it. If he didn't like the law he should try and change it, not act stupid towards the people paid to enforce it.

Somebody should mail them a $10 bill from MONOPOLY just for the fun of it.

Latest resources

Back