• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Regional FO nearly kills 113 people, CA in the bathroom

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Regional F/O?"... I don't think Air India Express is a regional, they go as far as Dubai.... plus the a/c was a 737-800.

Not quite sure why you folks on this board keep confusing majors/regionals/legacies/cargo/etc anytime their is an incident...

In India every aircraft (I know for sure multi-engine but I think I remember single engine as well) has it's own PIC endorsement that has to be on your license. So you would even have PIC endorsement for a Seneca (or a cessna 152! if I recall correctly).

The Captain's endorsements look reasonable. It looks like he got his endorsement for the Trinidad, then a Cessna 303, then C90 King Air, - so he progressed in what looks like a normal fashion. Then the 737.

The co-pilot has nothing other than the 737, and he had almost 970 of his 1300 hours on that.

The FO was probably covering his eyes as they were going down. Poor guy...

Good thing their door had a combination otherwise the CA would have been SOL.

That report is a little unclear but it said that the FO was trying to pull up when the AP was still on plus the warning sounds caused panic forcing him to basically give up. But it said that when the CA got in he got the airplane under control immediately. But it doesn't say if he disconnected the AP or what or how. Very confusing translation.

Overriding the control column on the 738 does not really disengage the autopilot, rather, it stays engaged and reverts to a condition called "CWS - Control Wheel Steering", in which the aircraft retains the last pitch attitude of the aircraft and holds it there. So, if he pushed against it and put it into a dive, the CWS portion of the autopilot would have kept it in that dive until it was corrected.

Overriding the control column on the 738 does not really disengage the autopilot, rather, it stays engaged and reverts to a condition called "CWS - Control Wheel Steering", in which the aircraft retains the last pitch attitude of the aircraft and holds it there. So, if he pushed against it and put it into a dive, the CWS portion of the autopilot would have kept it in that dive until it was corrected.
Similar to a certain L-1011 over a swamp on a moonless night. ( as far as CWS is concerned)

Latest resources

Back