Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't put up with Dorky Captains, just punch them in the teeth!:smash:

Don't put up with Dorky Captains, just punch them in the teeth!:smash:

Get the F/A to do it... it's funnier and lasts a lot longer since every time they walk through the crew room people start snickering... :D

u might also have RCDS if you ask ur FO anything and double check it yourself. Trust your FO. We aint stupid as to get the ATIS Freq. wrong.

Also if the captain, while taxing, treats it like a 777 and goes past the runway centerline only to bring it back using the tiller

AND to finish off you might have RCDS if u never..never allow the FO to do an engine start. (unless its company proc.)

You guys knock eachother for poor landings?? The harder the better :D :D

CA1900 said:
The "this is the only way to do this" guy -- when there are 10 different ways to do it correctly -- is a real pain in the neck to work with, no question. As I said, I think I've flown with him, or at least his clone. :D He works for CommutAir and is super-senior in CLE. Shamrock, if he's reading this, will know exactly who I'm talking about! He's the guy who yelled at me years ago for touching "his" battery switch to turn the cabin lights on, while he was inside getting coffee.

He's super-senior because everybody in the aviation business has heard about him. He can't get another job.

The day after my first trip with Captain Douchebag I passed a guy doing some carpentry work while walking from my hotel to the mall in PWM. To this day I can still remember thinking to myself, "That might not be too bad a job to have, maybe I could do that instead".

I was only a month into my airline career and flying with that d1ckhead had me seriously questioning my career choice.

I find the older guys are actually better to fly with than the young bucks. They tend to be overtly paranoid, checking and re-checking everything you do.

I keep reading about how terrible most captains are and how if it were not for you (the FO) the flight would never get off the ground, or if it did it would never be safe. So if this is the true and in most cases the FO is the only one qualified and not a Dbag, what happens to you when you upgrade?

No one who has served in the left seat would make some of the statements that the F/O's here are making. Sure there are bad Captains out there, but when it is your name on the release, and your professional A$$ on the line, things look very very different from the left. I found myself checking and worrying about crap that I didn't even know existed when I was in the right seat.

Wait till these guys upgrade, most will probably wish they could come back and remove a lot of what they posted on this thread.

KeroseneSnorter said:
No one who has served in the left seat would make some of the statements that the F/O's here are making. Sure there are bad Captains out there, but when it is your name on the release, and your professional A$$ on the line, things look very very different from the left. I found myself checking and worrying about crap that I didn't even know existed when I was in the right seat.

Wait till these guys upgrade, most will probably wish they could come back and remove a lot of what they posted on this thread.

Wow, I thought that I was the only one who seemed to notice that most of the comments were from FO's who by their tone show that they might still have a lot to learn. Some of these RDBC'S might actually be a resource to keep them from losing their tickets not to mention their lives.
Amazing how moving a few feet to the left can totally change one's perspective. Looking back on my experience, there were most definatly times that I was basically too stupid to be scared and didn't fully understand the consequences of some of the decisions that were being made at the time. As an FO you just have to try to get past some of the bad habbits that we all have (captains & FO's alike) and try to take away only the positive. I'm guessing even the biggest RDBC does at least something right.....in your opinion.

The key is diplomacy - between both pilots!

After I upgraded, I just tried to remember all the things that the grumpy captains did to me. Then I tried not to do them.

I hated being corrected on technique issues, like; whether you use the entire facility name instead of 'center' (or vice-versa), or you call the station 15 minutes out instead of ten minutes out, etc.

Also being corrected and the captain is wrong/innacurate/unknowledgeable. Something like making up little personal additons to regs and procedures.

Every Captain has preferences but they should be communicated in advance if possible, and diplomatically. I ask the FOs for a favor.

Let the FO handle the radio on the ground and when the captain is PF UNLESS SAFETY IS COMPROMISED!! Don't jump on their radio when they make a mistake or miss a call. Jeez!

The WORST was being corrected with "The AIM says to do so and so" when we regularly do other stuff (non-towered airport pattern ops, shortening radio calls when it's busy, etc) that flies in the face of the AIM. Argg!

In a nutshell, nobody likes to feel 'ridden' or having their chops busted.

Latest resources

Back