• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Regional Captian Douchebag Syndrome-RCDS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
GL, I agree that you not being able to ride in a SKW UA plane is a bunch of crap, but it isn't the pilots who made that rule.

viper548 said:
GL, I agree that you not being able to ride in a SKW UA plane is a bunch of crap, but it isn't the pilots who made that rule.

I know that, it is just one of those things that makes you go HMMMMMM? Will it change if United has CASS and can verify employment on the DL side?

Bye Bye--General Lee

I see a bit of those things coming from the F/O's too... some of them just can't WAIT to be the CA so they have to be "super pilot". As long as it's not annoying, I don't say much.

The rest of that list was spot on (and pretty funny), but I have to agree on the decent profile thing... missing crossing restrictions "because the F/O has RFDS" is not an acceptable excuse during the Chief Pilot's carpet crawl with the FAA there just for grins.

SkyWest is currently working on CASS. Last I read, they are hoping to be up by the end of the year.

At least we allow unlimited jumpseats. hmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Cass should be online soon.

Mookie

Last edited:

If someone's not doing something he's supposed to be doing while we fly together, it's my job to point it out as his immediate supervisor. I'm not talking about an occasional cruncher landing. I'm talking about things like descent planning, which you brought up. Let me give you a scenario I see frequently:

You're 150 miles east of Buffalo at FL240. You're instructed to "Cross 50 miles east of Buffalo at 11,000." Your first officer, the PF, starts to descend immediately towards the cumulus, "so I won't forget." You're telling me you wouldn't correct him? He's giving up >60 miles of smooth air, low fuel burns, and high TAS, because he either doesn't know how to do the calculation, or is too lazy to do it or set it up in the box. Pointing that out is not being a "flying style coach," that's correcting poor airmanship.

I don't have to be a jerk when I mention it, and I'm not, but it would be negligent on my part to let it go uncorrected. "Hey, why don't we wait until we need to go down, so we can stay high as long as possible?" He'll either plan a proper descent out and do it (which most people do anyway; that's the point), or if he doesn't know how, he'll ask (which I've also seen, especially in folks new to the airline).

Letting him fly for 60 miles through turbulence when a little planning would have prevented it? That's being a "douchebag" -- to the passengers who paid for the flight, to the company paying the fuel bill, and even to the FO who's developing his skills for upgrade, eventually.

That goes both ways, incidentally. If I miss my descent point when I'm PF, I fully expect the first officer to chime in and remind me it's time to go down now. That's how a crew works together. Anybody who gets that worked up when a genuine mistake is pointed out is probably in the wrong business.

[/quote]

i agree with you and i would take no offense or accuse the capt in this situation of having RCDS. we all make mistakes. this is the beauty of a 2 person crew.

im talking about situations where there are 10 different ways to descend and still make the restriction, maximize TAS, and conserve fuel. but a capt with RCDS always insists on diving towards the ground way early just so that he can stop worrying about making the restriction and go back to thinkin how much of a stud he is cause he the capt of a 50/70 seat jet.

This same guy could at least apply for a job at a major with all his expertise. but the thought of giving up his 4th stripe terrifies him more than having to walk around in the terminal without his captain hat.

amem brother. i love the "ok lets call for taxi" after the push......
no sh!t i thought we were gonna just sit here and block everybody

In all fairness, I have had to ask FOs to call for taxi because they were just sitting there. Perhaps they have flown with some guys who do have RCDS and yell at them if they call for taxi on their own.

Military example, you know you are an AC douchebag when you end up having to do a nice slow 360 over MOSUL (MANPAD country...) at 1000AGL because you ignored two of your crew members who told you to start down earlier. Decent planning really matters when there are bad guys at the end of the descent...

General Lee said:
I'll be YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE. Nah, I'll be cool. Just don't bring up the RJDC, Airtran, Jetblue, Comair's help with our furloughs, SkyWest and their pilots ruining the regional industry by first taking 50 seat wages for planes up to 99 seats, and the strange reason we allow SkyWest pilots who fly both the United and Delta side on the jumpseat---even when they don't allow us the same deal......(due to Computer problems). Hey, I won't even ask a SkyWest pilot where he is based, since it is likely that if he/she is ORD or DEN based, I can't ride in his/her cockpit.(but they can ride in mine) I can't wait!!

Bye Bye--General Lee

Gee. how long ago did Delta start letting anybody in the actual Jump? How quickly we forget. More drivel from the Lee. How about you never ask me for a ride and I will never ask you. What a tool!

BusDriver12 said:
im talking about situations where there are 10 different ways to descend and still make the restriction, maximize TAS, and conserve fuel. but a capt with RCDS always insists on diving towards the ground way early just so that he can stop worrying about making the restriction and go back to thinkin how much of a stud he is cause he the capt of a 50/70 seat jet.
Ahhhhh, that's a different animal entirely. The "this is the only way to do this" guy -- when there are 10 different ways to do it correctly -- is a real pain in the neck to work with, no question. As I said, I think I've flown with him, or at least his clone. :D He works for CommutAir and is super-senior in CLE. Shamrock, if he's reading this, will know exactly who I'm talking about! He's the guy who yelled at me years ago for touching "his" battery switch to turn the cabin lights on, while he was inside getting coffee.

That, more than anything else, is why I think flight instructors transition to airline flying so well. They realize that there's more than one "right" way to do something, and unless the book specifies something different or someone's genuinely doing something wrong (like my previous example), there isn't a problem. Or rather, there shouldn't be a problem!

Sounds like we're on exactly the same page; I'm with ya. :D

Latest resources

Back