• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
belchfire said:
Maybe you should start a tool watch page
so we can see who spots the biggest jerk
of the day!

Man, are you asking for it. :D

Good post, though. It's a big shed...plenty of room for tools.

KeroseneSnorter said:
things look very very different from the left. I found myself checking and worrying about crap that I didn't even know existed when I was in the right seat.
Ah, now I get it, because you were a weak FO you automatically assume your FO's are weak too.
Rez O. Lewshun said:
FO are physical pilots. They have checklist to run, data to input and switches to move.
Capts. are in thier heads...
Within the flight deck, FOs are 'labor' and Capts are 'management.'
Yet again, a wise old Captain projecting his personal short-comings onto his FO's. I'm sure what you say is true of some junior FO's. I know it was for me when I first started out. But this attitude of "I'm the thinker, you're just the gear-yanker..." is just pathetic, and egotistical. The Captains I've flown with that appear to have that attitude were among the worst (thinkers, and flyers) I've flown with at any company. Why don't you Captains try to learn a little something from this post instead of belittling the guy/gal sitting next to you who may well have better or equal knowledge, experience, and/or flying skills than you.

Every flight I watch my Captain and decide if I will adopt, or avoid their actions. Thanks to you Captains for helping me know how not to act.

As an FO my life, as well as my certificate, are dependent on the proper decision-making of my Captains, as well as myself. To suggest that we are just sitting over there picking our noses while you make all the tough decisions is self-centered and condescending. If you don't involve your FO in all the deep, intellectual pursuits of your flight, it's your fault, not his.

Last edited:
Bluto said:
Ah, now I get it, because you were a weak FO you automatically assume your FO's are weak too.

<<Shaking head>> Like I said, only someone who has never sat in the left seat would make statements like that.

You would think that a pilot might stop to think that if several guys who have made the transition from right to left at several different airlines all say the same thing and none are resorting to personal attacks or flame baiting that they may be speaking from experience. But I guess not. I guess you have to hand it to the training facilities out there now, they must be doing one heck of a job to be able to train F/O's to know more than all the line Captains out there. Boy am I glad that this new generation of F/O's is out there, I don't know how all these Captains would learn how to be Captains without their knowledge and leadership wisdom.

In fact, I think I will start pointing out everything that my Captains do that is different on my next trip. After all I served as Captain on several aircraft in the past, just because I now fly internationally in an 833k pound airplane which is far far different from the 100k pound domestic flying I used to do, that doesn't mean that I do not already know everything. Heck just do away with the most experienced guy in the cockpit, I don't need to learn anything from his years of international and widebody experience!

Last edited:
KeroseneSnorter said:
<<Shaking head>> Like I said, only someone who has never sat in the left seat would make statements like that.

In fact, I think I will start pointing out everything that my Captains do that is different on my next trip. After all I served as Captain on several aircraft in the past, just because I now fly internationally in an 833k pound airplane which is far far different from the 100k pound domestic flying I used to do, that doesn't mean that I do not already know everything. Heck just do away with the most experienced guy in the cockpit, I don't need to learn anything from his years of international and widebody experience!

Wow that must be the biggest regional jet ive ever heard off. Right? you must be a regional guy if ur chatting on the regional board

Mookie said:
FO to me during my brief..."My dad did is ..., I've done ...I have tons of experience doing ..., My upgrade should be in about six months...blah. blah. blah."

Me thinking I'm with Chuck Yeagers illigitimate son..."Alright...your leg."

Fo to me after shooting an approach which wasn't even CLOSE to minimums."Goddam....that was tight. I didn't think we'd get in...Wow....that was AWESOME..."

oooookkkkkkaaaaayyyyy.....

Like the guys above said...RCDS starts early before the move to the left seat.

(By the way, I'm DYING to fly in the right seat for General Lee).
Mookie

I would throw in this phrase, "And one time, at band camp......" And, if you were my FO you would have a blast. I will use the 50/50 rule for walk arounds----I will do the walk around 50% of the time when it is over 50 degrees. And, 1st and 4th beers are on me. We will have a blast on those Huntsville layovers!

Bye Bye--General Lee

KaptainKarl said:
A dang epidemic at Mesaba. "If you ain't from UND, you can't fly." - XJ Douchebag supreme!!!

Oh Yeah, I've witnessed more of those guys miss crossings than I can count. Nope, I don't say a thing. I just laugh my a$$ off. Its his name on the release. If we're a crew, then treat me as such.

So what you are saying is that the guy sitting next to you is screwing up and not only are you letting it happen, but you are laughing about it. Not much for CRM are you. Unbelievable. Last time I heard, both pilots up front can get gigged for screwing up. I think this falls into the same category as the employees that profess loudly "It's not MY job!." ...Sad. But guess what? It is your job to monitor each other up there. So I guess you are saying it's okay not to do your job professionally how you are trained? Who's the douchebag now?

BOHICAgain said:
Wow that must be the biggest regional jet ive ever heard off. Right? you must be a regional guy if ur chatting on the regional board

Oops, I forgot, to be in a discussion on this forum you must be one of the "New" generation of super pilots. Sorry I forgot that anybody who flew for a Regional more than 8 years ago did not receive the new super special training that imparts years of flying experience in a classroom.

My mistake, I will try to do my best to not kill myself in a large airplane until a slot opens up for one of the new super pilots to come in as my F/O that can teach me what I have been doing wrong all these years.

Until then, is there a secret book that you can send me to help me add ten or twelve years of experience to my resume? Obviously I am lacking in knowledge in this area. It would be a great help since it is clear that I have been doing this the wrong way and there is nothing that I can learn from the Captains that I currently fly with.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
The reason why they don't respond right away to your self initiated check list is becuase they are thinking about the flight 20 minutes from now and what will need to be done.....

HAHA!!!:laugh: Me, I was thinking what should've been done 20 minutes AGO!!! :beer: Or, of course, about getting laid!!!:pimp:

Last edited:
What about superpilot F/O's. They have 3+ plus years seniority and think they are being screwed because they havent upgraded yet. They think its not cool to use checklists, request lower altitudes without discussing it, and just constantly bitch about how they can fly better than half the captains out there. This syndrome works both ways.

BusDriver12 said:
If your crew upon reaching the overnight is constantly “tired” “not hungry” or “going to catch up on my F.O.M. reading tonight” instead of going out and having a few beers with you”-you may have RCDS

You might want to take a look at yourself if your crews "constantly" don't want to hang out with you. Also, if you are being corrected that much, there is probably a reason.

Latest resources

Back