• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Regional airlines are doomed!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Regionals will be around for quite sometime. American bankrupty will determine if the regionals will be around beyond 'quite sometime'. By this I mean AA mgt will be trying to place larger airframes possibly at Eagle, possibly spread them around to other regionals.

And that is why we come to F/I, it the Jerry Springer Show of the interwebs. Oh yeah the Regionals are doomed because the sky is falling and everyone knows that Mainline pilots are the only ones good enough to fly a falling sky.

I just liked that he couldn't deal with the FACT that airlines DON'T have to be in financial duress to give away scope. As evidenced by the pre 9/11 contracts at the legacies.

Especially since UAL contract 2000 opened the door/paved the way for his furlough from UAL.

Ignorance is bliss I guess.......

Regionals will be around for quite sometime

Agreed. Just like the 19 seat tubroprop up to the 50 seat RJ. It will continue to exist. Just not at all on the scale or in the quantities that the BK's stimulated.

We can all hope the regionals, and the RJ's get scaled back, and soon.

Last edited:
Most legacy pilots saw allowing scope concessions for pay became a bad idea quickly, and decided not to do it again after the late 90's.

So that's why the pre 9/11 legacy contracts had scope relief? Big fat pay check for agreeing to MORE RJ's. How can you ignore that FACT?

The next scope allowance came via BK judges, not willingly by the pilot groups.

See above. Scope relief was granted under contracts, BEFORE the BKs.

Which judge mandated scope relief? IIRC, it was voted on by the pilots, NOT taken by the judge. At least in UAL's case.

So that's why the pre 9/11 legacy contracts had scope relief? Big fat pay check for agreeing to MORE RJ's. How can you ignore that FACT?

See above. Scope relief was granted under contracts, BEFORE the BKs.

Which judge mandated scope relief? IIRC, it was voted on by the pilots, NOT taken by the judge. At least in UAL's case.
It's a different generation of pilots who are at the majors now. This class has been directly affected by the scope relaxation of the former.

I think it's a "fool me once..." sort of scenario. I would be shocked if the pilot groups went to that well a second time.

It's a different generation of pilots who are at the majors now. This class has been directly affected by the scope relaxation of the former.

I think it's a "fool me once..." sort of scenario. I would be shocked if the pilot groups went to that well a second time.

True, at least we hope so.

The fact remains, scope relief ISN'T only given when airlines are under financial duress.

True, at least we hope so.

The fact remains, scope relief ISN'T only given when airlines are under financial duress.

That was the past. Can you give a recent example in the last 5 years of voluntary scope relaxation at the profitable legacies? I don't think UAL has given extra, they are still trying to recover from their BK. CAL didn't allow any jets over 50 seats. The 70/76 seat limit hasn't been increased at Delta. I think that scope is important, but the next round will include Joint Ventures and Codeshares with other airlines, they seem to be growing.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Anybody else notice that OYS gets suspended, and GL just shows back up from a "12 day Asia trip" (unless he works for FDX, or UPS, a joke in itself)? What an amazing "coincidence"!

Latest resources

Back