• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Regional airlines are doomed!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
haha! yeh RA wants a deal, no doubt about that except it's not one you'll like, a small pay raise in exchange for relaxation of scope. AA will pave the way w/ bigger jets for AE so the rest of the airlines will follow, just like sheep everytime one of them changes something (like paint jobs) the rest follow. But I sincerely hope you can AT LEAST hold onto present scope as I'm anxious to leave Rangoon for the big jets in the future! Godspeed! :laugh:

RA has never missed an amendable date for a contract, and he is proud of that supposedly. That doesn't mean he'll give away the farm, but there's a good chance it will get done. One thing everyone noticed on the conference call though was his apparent giddiness about dumping Saabs and more 50 seat RJs. Looks like he may feel the same way about those planes, way too inefficient. Btw, the 70/76 seaters have hit the limit, and it won't be increased, which is one reason you are in Vietnam. That's crazy. Do you miss Dayton, OH yet? Heck, it's probably a lot like Da Nang anyway. Cheers!

Godspeed!

The OYSter

So, this is your formula: Career at a major = $$$$, commute, AIDS (Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome), and son(s) or daughter(s) who grows up with you absent while you live the dream...

OR...

QOL at a Regional, reasonable pay, live at home, gets to coach little league, takes wife and daughter out for dates systematically.

The $$$$ is cool and so is the Company, but "a fool and his $$$$ are soon parted."

Statistically, which one do you think most choose, and statistically, what do you think the outcomes are?

I think you know...:rolleyes:

That's up to you, but don't complain if your airline shrinks and you miss a hiring wave that could get you to where you are now a couple years down the road. The stagnation of now and the past decade will soon catch up to massive retirements at most legacies. Getting on at the beginning of a wave could make all the difference in the World. But again, it's up to you. Your regionals though don't have great growth prospects.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

So I have to make it to the majors to send my kids to college or to make the big bucks? I'm under 30 years old and both of my kid's college funds are taken care of because of my rental properties. I have less than 10 years to go on my mortgage, and i'm not worried about the future of the regionals, since this is not my primary source of income. Just becuase someone wants to stay at the regionals doesn't mean they don't have enough money to retire or send their kids to college. Maybe these guys have a wife that makes 2x the amouth they do, we just don't know.

Great, if you are a landlord and have many rentals, by all means stay there and become the next Donald Chump. If you're like the rest of us out there, then move up to mainline for better pay and benefits compared to the Regionals. It may take a couple years to make up the pay, but then it will be a lot better. And, it doesn't look like the Regionals will be getting any better anytime soon, thanks to new rest/fatigue rules, etc. Have fun out there Donald!

Godspeed!

The OYSter

Need a tissue? What time is it now in Hanoi? What day is it?

Godspeed!

The OYSter

OYS, you need you give up. If the guy enjoys what he is doing then let him be. So he doesn't take your advice, you then go and bash what he's doing?

"Enjoy your time in Vietnam, blah blah blah." Get over it, I don't recall anyone asking for your advice, but you give it to them anyways. Let the regionals guys do what they want in life, even if it doesn't agree with you.

Oh also, no need to call me Donald. You want to start calling names because i'm secure with my finance, even as an RJ FO? So what, If I get a fixed in come, even when it doesn't come from aviation. Unlike you, I don't have to worry about what's going to happen with my company 10, 15,20 years from now. Even if there was another 9-11 I still don't have to worry.

Last edited:
This is something I've long since argued. Skywest Inc. has some big decisions to make over the next few years. The influx of cash from the mainline partners will not increase. So we're boxed in. Scope will absolutely not relax. I'd bet everything in my 401K, my savings, and investments on that- the ship has sailed. Nobody is going to relax scope to facilitate larger airframes at the regional level. Skywest will be forced to survive by "going it alone" as a stand alone carrier. The question is when, and how, that this will happen. The typical feeder style regional business model a dead and dying one. The regional airline industry WILL be forced to change.

You will end up a very poor man.

Latest resources

Back