• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Regional airlines are doomed!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If the airlines don't listen to the passengers. Why in the HELL did Delta spend millions of dollars putting First Class Seats in CRAPPY, TO SMALL, and INEFFICIENT CRJ 700's and 900's?

Just wondering?

So when UAL 2000 and DAL 2001 contracts came during high profits, what caused the scope relaxation?

Maybe you were in Highschool at the time, but 9-11 caused a huge disruption in profits, and then Gulf War II caused a huge oil spike that many legacies weren't ready for, while Southwest was with their hedges. They don't have those hedges now, and they also don't do bag fees (except at Airtran they do for now), so they don't really enjoy those fees. Most legacies, besides AA, are very profitable now, and they are paying down debt and getting ready to hand some money back to the pilots when the contracts come due. Scope relaxation only can happen in distressed times, like AA is having now. Don't bet your future on possible scope relaxation via BKs. Consolidation makes that tougher to achieve.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

If the airlines don't listen to the passengers. Why in the HELL did Delta spend millions of dollars putting First Class Seats in CRAPPY, TO SMALL, and INEFFICIENT CRJ 700's and 900's?

Just wondering?

It seems like they still wanted to have premium fares on those planes for their best customers that have to fly on those planes anyway. Some routes might be too big for a mainline plane, but the customers still want bigger seats and more comfort.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

(rumors have it that RA wants a deal, and that means some sort of pay raise obviously with $1.2 billion profit the last couple years), The OYSter

haha! yeh RA wants a deal, no doubt about that except it's not one you'll like, a small pay raise in exchange for relaxation of scope. AA will pave the way w/ bigger jets for AE so the rest of the airlines will follow, just like sheep everytime one of them changes something (like paint jobs) the rest follow. But I sincerely hope you can AT LEAST hold onto present scope as I'm anxious to leave Rangoon for the big jets in the future! Godspeed! :laugh:

9-11 caused a huge disruption in profits, and then Gulf War II caused a huge oil spike that many legacies weren't ready for,

Of course it couldn't be DALPA didn't want to fly those small jets right Oys? :smash:

getting ready to hand some money back to the pilots when the contracts come due.
Godspeed! The OYSter

Oh yeah buddy, RA just gonna hand over those profits to the pilots! Rightttttttttttttttttt! :rolleyes:

Maybe you were in Highschool at the time

Nope, I was in the air on the way to LGA at the time.

but 9-11 caused a huge disruption in profits,

Really? No sh1t Sherlock?

and then Gulf War II caused a huge oil spike that many legacies weren't ready for, while Southwest was with their hedges. They don't have those hedges now, and they also don't do bag fees (except at Airtran they do for now), so they don't really enjoy those fees. Most legacies, besides AA, are very profitable now, and they are paying down debt and getting ready to hand some money back to the pilots when the contracts come due. Scope relaxation only can happen in distressed times, like AA is having now. Don't bet your future on possible scope relaxation via BKs. Consolidation makes that tougher to achieve.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

Sorry, but you need to go back and look at contract 2000 at UAL and contract 2001 at DAL. Scope was relaxed at both carriers. That's before "distressed times", before 9/11, and before the BK's.

You can't argue that scope has NEVER been relaxed unless under a company's financial duress. That's just not accurate or true. Anyway you try to spin/argue it is simply your own ignorance of the FACTS of what happened. Plain and simple.

How about making enough money to send that 6 year old to college? Shouldn't that count? I would get started as fast as possible if you haven't already. First year at a legacy may be less than a Captain at a Regional, but it sure does increase in a hurry after that. First year pay now at DL is $59 an hour, with 2nd year on the bus at $86, and third year at $101. We have a new contract coming due this year (rumors have it that RA wants a deal, and that means some sort of pay raise obviously with $1.2 billion profit the last couple years), and next year there should be hiring. Sticking it out a regional may give you better QOL now for a few more years, but with the way the Regional industry is going and the instability and high gas prices out there, I would take your "hit" now with QOL for a couple/few years so you can have more time with your early teenage son/daughter as a lineholder, making more money at a legacy. Hiring will happen sooner than later. Don't miss out.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

So I have to make it to the majors to send my kids to college or to make the big bucks? I'm under 30 years old and both of my kid's college funds are taken care of because of my rental properties. I have less than 10 years to go on my mortgage, and i'm not worried about the future of the regionals, since this is not my primary source of income. Just becuase someone wants to stay at the regionals doesn't mean they don't have enough money to retire or send their kids to college. Maybe these guys have a wife that makes 2x the amouth they do, we just don't know.

How about making enough money to send that 6 year old to college? Shouldn't that count? I would get started as fast as possible if you haven't already. First year at a legacy may be less than a Captain at a Regional, but it sure does increase in a hurry after that. First year pay now at DL is $59 an hour, with 2nd year on the bus at $86, and third year at $101. We have a new contract coming due this year (rumors have it that RA wants a deal, and that means some sort of pay raise obviously with $1.2 billion profit the last couple years), and next year there should be hiring. Sticking it out a regional may give you better QOL now for a few more years, but with the way the Regional industry is going and the instability and high gas prices out there, I would take your "hit" now with QOL for a couple/few years so you can have more time with your early teenage son/daughter as a lineholder, making more money at a legacy. Hiring will happen sooner than later. Don't miss out.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

So, this is your formula: Career at a major = $$$$, commute, AIDS (Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome), and son(s) or daughter(s) who grows up with you absent while you live the dream...

OR...

QOL at a Regional, reasonable pay, live at home, gets to coach little league, takes wife and daughter out for dates systematically.

The $$$$ is cool and so is the Company, but "a fool and his $$$$ are soon parted."

Statistically, which one do you think most choose, and statistically, what do you think the outcomes are?

I think you know...:rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back