• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Recommend me some airplanes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yea I think under 5 mil or right around is going to be about the limit. That gets rid of the CJ4(I am going to offer it to him though) and the Lear 45XR(but again going to offer it). So a CJ2, CJ3 or LR45 seem to be the best buy. I think I am also going to throw the Premier in there to compare to the CJ2 since it appears to have, at least book ranges, similar to the CJ2, but with a better cabin and avionics.

Yea I think under 5 mil or right around is going to be about the limit. That gets rid of the CJ4(I am going to offer it to him though) and the Lear 45XR(but again going to offer it). So a CJ2, CJ3 or LR45 seem to be the best buy. I think I am also going to throw the Premier in there to compare to the CJ2 since it appears to have, at least book ranges, similar to the CJ2, but with a better cabin and avionics.

But the premier I has awful range/payload, IIRC.

The Premier and the CJ2/3 have the same avionics - Collins ProLine21. The "straight" CJ2 typically has a Universal FMS, but the 2+/3 have the same FMS-3000 the Premier has.

And while the Premier does fly nice, has a larger cabin cross-section and is faster than the CJ2+ (we demo'd one)...in reality it does NOT have the range/payload flexibility or capability than the CJ2+ has, let alone the CJ3. You also cannot operate it for less than you can the CJ2+, and its max range figures are at a 0.70M LRC, slower than the CJ2+. My wife flew P-Is and said they were great - Mach 0.80 all the way to a fuel stop or a service center. I understand the -IAs fixed some of the early Premier's brake issues

Cessna always outperforms their marketing numbers...Raytheon/HBC, not so much.

OK, guess I will take the Premier out of the equation if the CJ2 is better than it. I have a buddy that has flown one quite a bit and he said it didnt live up to the expectations of it, but it wasnt terrible and it flew well.

Go buy a used Astra. Great performance and good support. Higher DOC than the CJ3, but you'll save 3 mil on the purchase price. That's alot of cash to put towards your DOC.

Between the LR45 and CJ3, you'd be better off with the CJ3. Premier?? No way.

Does he want something new or can you get into something like a Citation Bravo or Ultra? Would be a good plane for your mission and is a lot cheaper than some of those CJ series (and feel the same from the back seat). Fuel burn might be slightly higher but not by much.

As an example, I'm showing our CJ2+ from CPS-SJC to be 4+39 and 3600lb block fuel burn...cruising at FL450 with 46kt average headwind. Our Fltplan.com profile is a little conservative on fuel burns, so we'd probably be closer to 3400lb burn...but 600lb is just 45min legal IFR reserves and I wouldn't plan to land that short on fuel.

If you were to fly at a constant long-range speed of 0.68M (vs. the 0.737M max), you'd probably shave another 100-150lbs off that.

Either way, its highly doubtful the 2+ could make St. Louis-Bay Area westbound even under the best circumstances, and the CJ3 would be limited doing so against stiff winds (and even more so with your payload).

If your boss HAS to go west-coast nonstop, the LR45 is definitely your airplane...if he can live with 2x monthly westbound tech stops the CJ series will fit the rest mission profile more efficiently.

.68M?

painful

Latest resources

Back