• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Recent FedEx meet/greet anyone?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm not familiar with the FedEx M&G - if you get a M&G, are you automatically interviewed? If someone has a better M&G than someone else, do they get an interview sooner?

majortool said:
I'm not familiar with the FedEx M&G - if you get a M&G, are you automatically interviewed? If someone has a better M&G than someone else, do they get an interview sooner?
No and yes.

Think of it this way:

FedEx says that you must have a sponsor to walk you in and say "This is my #1 dude!" You sit down with an ACP and they go over your resume. The results of this can vary based on both you and your resume. If you are a good dude with good time then you'll get put in the "good pile" of apps and can expect an interview call. If you have some red flag (ie lots of training busts, a long break in flying, etc) you might get put in the "red pile" of apps - meaning no chance of an interview. There is also a "middle pile" for those folks who are riding the edge. The meet and greet thus acts as a second line of screening (the first being getting a sponsor at FedEx). Remember - the ACP's have no way of screening who comes in for the M&G. You could bring a guy with 100 hours of recip into a M&G, but he would get nowhere.

For those who go right into the "good pile" - no worries: an interview is coming right up. For those who have something come up and end up in the "other" piles - then it is time to get your FDX friends working for you and telling the ACP why you should get called. If not, you can languish for months and months before you get called for an interview.

Each ACP has his own piles, so the timing for interview calls can sometime make no sense at all.

Last edited:
AlbieF15 said:
Hallway gossip overheard included:

How do you feel about unions?

How will you balance your ANG/Reserve job with your airline career?
quote]

Wow...both of these questions seem to be to be improper...and could be interpreted as illegal.

If they are asking about union membership then they are setting a hiring criteria that would restrict hiring for those who are "anti" union. I don't think federal labor laws allow this type of union busting "pre-screening".

Along the same lines, it was my understanding that employers are not allowed to discriminate if you are a military reservist/guard.

If I went to a pre-screening with these questions, and was not hired, I would definely call the cochran firm.....

Has anyone actually had these questions? If so please let us know so we can go to the Union and have this behavior stopped.

Echopapa said:
AlbieF15 said:
Hallway gossip overheard included:

How do you feel about unions?

How will you balance your ANG/Reserve job with your airline career?
quote]

Wow...both of these questions seem to be to be improper...and could be interpreted as illegal.

If they are asking about union membership then they are setting a hiring criteria that would restrict hiring for those who are "anti" union. I don't think federal labor laws allow this type of union busting "pre-screening".

Along the same lines, it was my understanding that employers are not allowed to discriminate if you are a military reservist/guard.

If I went to a pre-screening with these questions, and was not hired, I would definely call the cochran firm.....

Has anyone actually had these questions? If so please let us know so we can go to the Union and have this behavior stopped.

First it was PFT, now it's SFT.... Sue for Training!

paranoid anyone?

Echopapa said:

I had both these questions and was hired. I even had on my resume that I was an active union volunteer.

The question is not about union busting it's about finding out how you interact with people when being asked a critical question.

If you lie and tell them what (you think) they want to hear they will most likely send you packing. If you're honest and have a valid reason for your position on the answer given you will make it to the next round.

1st Overnite said:
What's next, pre-meet-and-greet? Then meet and greet. Then interview. Then post interview. Then job offer. Then pre-class interview.

This whole process is stupid.

I didn't get a first hand experience of 'the fun' myself but ask someone that went threw a United interview years back during their hiring boom. They were hiring maybe 1 out of every 4 interviewed and most candidates left the interview ready to go postal on someone. I've heard some crazy stories.

Now, compare that with the FedEx process and you'll be pleasantly surprised. Yes, the process can be frustrating but is dignified and respectable. You will leave the interview feeling you did the best you could do and feel like you will get a fair shot at getting hired. Not everyone does but at least you don't get raked across the coals during the process.

I'm not saying these questions are legal, smart, or appropriate. I'm regurgitating what I've heard.

As a Guardsman, when I hear an airline interivew has asked "how do you plan to integrate your reserve duties with your job..." I want them to say "any way I damn well please--its the law..." However, looking at your interviewer and saying "that's a BS illegal question..." is a sure ticket to fail "another" portion of the interview. So--I often cover techniques for such questions, regardless of whether or not they are "legal".

However, EchoPapa...I'm with you 100%. For what its worth, many of these are attritbuted to a particular ACP. You can likely figure out who, but lets keep only our clean sheets our here in public eye. If you have "issues" with anyone in particular your block rep will know who it is and the best way to approach the problem.

FedEx is not the only one asking these questions - I have had candidates at UPS asked these questions also. While the question about your Guard/Reserve duty is definitely illegal, you cannot question them in the interview, nor can you really do a lot about it. It is a he said / she said type of situation - prove they asked it.

FWIW, I believe I know why they are asking the reserve question. This is what I have been told, by pilots who do this and other individuals in the hiring process (do not shoot the messenger - just passing on the message).

Like it or not, the aviation industry runs on a schedule and needs their employees to work, so as not to cause stress to the operation. Some pilots who have been hired at both of these carriers, and other airlines as well, have had crappy airline reserve schedules, and had their units take them out on special projects so they do not have to work those schedules. Unfortunately, a few bad apples have ruined it for everyone else, so there is heavy scrutinizing in this area.

Do not be surprised in a UPS interview if they take some issue at your current airline and ask you about it. It has happened to every pilot I have prepped for them. The same thing is happening at FedEx.

As to the issue about having Meet and Greet Prep, I would say be as prepared as possible - whether you practice with a spouse or pay someone to prep you. These are the same type of questions asked by SWA and everyone else, they are just in a different order.

While the FedEx process may seem cumbersome, I think you are getting a better shot at having someone actually get to know you in the interview process. Do not be caught unaware - they are still evaluating you. The main job of anyone interviewing, whether it is another pilot or HR, is to eliminate people. I know that sounds harsh, but if you consider the number of candidates applying for these positions, the sheer numbers become difficult to manage.

The best way to get into the "yes" pile is to be prepared. Be able to articulate why you want to work for them and align your values / personality with their operation.

Good luck to all the Meet and Greet Candidates! :)

AlbieF15 said:
You can likely figure out who, but lets keep only our clean sheets our here in public eye.

I don't know, Albie. A little public humiliation goes a long way in cleaning stuff like that up. It works pretty good in ANC and SFS. That's what I hear anyway.;)

I'm not suggesting that you name names, especially since folks know who you are. Sometimes it's warranted though.

Latest resources

Back