Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CAVOK69

So here is my situation,

I am very lucky to have a type rated FO job in a lear 60. I fly left seat on the empty legs and fly every other leg in the right seat when we have pax. I am being paid well, 40,000 for my first year and they paid for the type rating. All seems great huh?

Problems...
1.I do not fly very much, around 20-30 hours a month ( i know this is normal for corporate aircraft).My Ultimate goal is FedEx. They only accept Part 1 PIC, but the guy I fly with has assured me that when I fly I am flying as PIC, and I put my name on the flight plan. Since this is Part91 I know that this will work, but it is a very slow process to getting the 1000 hours.
2. the guy I fly with is driving me crazy. He has some personal problems that cause him to be a huge jerk to me when we aren't flying. (We fly together all of the time, only two of us) He is an immature, alchoholic, emotionally unstable, and unproffesional D**** Bag. Lately he brings his personality into the cockpit and makes me wish I had never taken this job.

Options?
I have around 2600 hours with around 1500 jet. Two type ratings and good experience. This job allows me to live in a great area that I love and I have a descent schedule. I would prefer to have a captain job on a jet, but with my low time that may be a problem. Right now I would take a king air job to get the PIC. I have had a company flying an MU2 call me for a position with them, but I would have to move far from home and get paid 38,000 initially. (night freight) Any advice is much appreciated.

CAVOK69 said:
So here is my situation,

I am very lucky to have a type rated FO job in a lear 60. I fly left seat on the empty legs and fly every other leg in the right seat when we have pax. I am being paid well, 40,000 for my first year and they paid for the type rating. All seems great huh?

Problems...
1.I do not fly very much, around 20-30 hours a month ( i know this is normal for corporate aircraft).My Ultimate goal is FedEx. They only accept Part 1 PIC, but the guy I fly with has assured me that when I fly I am flying as PIC, and I put my name on the flight plan. Since this is Part91 I know that this will work, but it is a very slow process to getting the 1000 hours.
2. the guy I fly with is driving me crazy. He has some personal problems that cause him to be a huge jerk to me when we aren't flying. (We fly together all of the time, only two of us) He is an immature, alchoholic, emotionally unstable, and unproffesional D**** Bag. Lately he brings his personality into the cockpit and makes me wish I had never taken this job.

Options?
I have around 2600 hours with around 1500 jet. Two type ratings and good experience. This job allows me to live in a great area that I love and I have a descent schedule. I would prefer to have a captain job on a jet, but with my low time that may be a problem. Right now I would take a king air job to get the PIC. I have had a company flying an MU2 call me for a position with them, but I would have to move far from home and get paid 38,000 initially. (night freight) Any advice is much appreciated.

How long have you been with this company and how long ago did they type you? You might as well learn to deal with the individual now as you will run into these types your whole career and won't have a choice (in most cases) who you will fly with.

The fact that you may not be building time rapidly may be wearing on you but it is all part of the process. Quicker time building does not always mean better time building. Night Freight teaches you a lot of things too. I did it for a long time. And if you want to go to FedEx, you should have some of this kind of experience behind you.

Your commitment to carry through with a reasonable time given to the company that paid for your type is an important factor that should not be overlooked. However, if the situation in the cockpit is becoming unsafe because of your captain's attitude towards you, it may be best to discuss it with him and spell it out. Be professional about it, be direct and be calm. If it looks like it will make things worse, tell him you will probably be leaving and will be explaining why in your resignation letter.

One other place you can seek advice may be with his boss. But do not do this behind the captain's back or you can find yourself labeled something you can live without. Depending on the captain's relationship is with his boss, this can be either good or bad advise, you'll have to make that choice. But don't burn bridges you don't have to.

Hope it all works out for you.

psysicx said:
It might help if you tell us which part of the country you live.

{Scratching my head} (?)

He said that he didn't want go far from his current home. If he posts where that is someone could give him a lead.

I would be willing to re-locate to anywhere in the SouthEast.

And yall are right, I do not want to burn a bridge and I do feel obligated to my employer for 3 more months, then the year expires. I have no contract, but that doesn't change my feelings of obligation toward the company. On another note, my bosses opinion of the capt. isn't the greatest, I know that they don't care for the guy at all and with good reason. I am trying to be respectful with him, but any attempt to speak with him directly has been ignored and if I am any more direct it will simply make the work environment more hostile.

this isnt the first job I have had flying with guys that aren't great. I know it is part of it, but when you fly with a guy 100 percent of the time and room with him on the road, it is a different story. I have tried to get seperate rooms and I cannot get them. I am not a very confrontational person, but enough is enough. ANY LEADS?

CAVOK69 said:
I know it is part of it, but when you fly with a guy 100 percent of the time and room with him on the road, it is a different story. I have tried to get seperate rooms and I cannot get them.

You SHARE rooms? Are you serious?

-Neal

the sharing of rooms is a very sub par deal. extremely weak. you really shouldn't have to put up with that. the guy you fly with will probably "flame out". touble is -you probably won't want to wait that long. i would look for a new job.:)

Last edited:
$40k for a lear 60 and having to share a hotel room? Give them their year for training and get out of there.

40000 for a lear 60 first officer is below industry standard. Sharing a room with the other pilot is also not industry standard. Why not look for another job first and then be up front and honest in your exit interview with the higher ups. I would rather earn less money and enjoy who I am working with than work for a jerk.

Latest resources

Back