• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Really CAL vs DAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I somewhat agree with your sentiments here.

First, this guy was in his 40s and felt there were just too many pilots in front of him to stand in the way of an upgrade before age 56-58... plus he said he would never upgrade on anything larger than a 737.

Second, I have been to and lived in DXB as well. I agree, the 115+ degree wx during the summer months can be brutal.

Last, while the pay at EK sucks, their net take home is usually more than ours since they 1) don't pay taxes 2) don't pay for housing 3) don't pay for schooling (lots of kids can make this expensive) 4) Shower crew with a host of other benefits. So while the pay is low there the net take home and lifestyle is pretty much the same here... save the fact that their in the Middle East.... then again, with PC taking over our society and culture, we're living in a jail of sorts ourselves these days. But that's another thread.

One more thing, while Sheik Maktoum controls EK and can change things, the likelihood of that happening is slim to none. By contrast, another price war decimating our business here in America is considerably more likely to happen. Further to this, with Open Skies, Foreign Ownership and age 65 now given up by ALPA and the democrats, our business is going to be nothing but a rough ride for the next 10 years here in America. EK, by contrast, is insulated from all this.[/quote]

It's true that this business has changed and may continue to change. That being said, airlines like CAL and DAL are diversifying their flying by adding more international routes which will be less competitive and improve margins (at least help to compensate for lower margins in the US). If anything, I would say airlines like SWA and JetBlue are in danger given their inability to adequately hedge fuel costs (that impacts everyone but they don't have international to compensate) and the increased proliferation of LCCs - both Skybus and Virgin America may not last long but they could inflict damage on margins if they compete in similar markets. Where will AirTran put its 75 737-700s it has on order? What about JetBlue's 60+ A320s/E190s? What about Spirit's 30+ A319s? At least Spirit is diversifying to more Latin American destinations as a way to reduce domestic exposure...

Regardless of the tax-free pay package and benefits at Emirates, you are still living in a foreign country and you lose any legal rights you would be afforded in the US. On top of that, your family (if he has one) has to live in Dubai and be located far away from friends and grandparents, etc. Sure, you get to fly shiny 777s - who wouldn't want that? However, at Delta, there are numerous open slots for 767-300/400 positions that can take you to Europe and Africa if you really want that flying. Plus, if he really wanted to see Dubai, he could have stuck it out as an FO and bid the 777 which serves Dubai. What's wrong with getting some FO time in the 777 at Delta and then bidding the 737-800 or 757/767 seniority permitting later? That way, you fly the 777, you hit all the glamorous destinations and you get to live in the States. After 11 years at Delta, I am sure he could have bid 777 FO or at least a senior 767ER FO position. With potential E190s coming on line in the next year or two, he would have easily had a Capt slot had he wanted one.

In the end, you make decisions and you have to live with them. Hopefully things will work out for the ex-Delta pilot. For those considering US airlines, Delta and CAL are both good choices. Personally, if I were looking to return to 121 flying, I would definitely focus my efforts on Delta which has some very strong growth prospects going forward now that the bankruptcy has been completely successfully and the decks cleared (reduced debt, increased cash, expanding high-margin international route network, new aircraft ordered or about to be ordered - that 787 will be very nice)...

Last edited:
It's real hard to ignore the starting pay and benefits EK offers F/Os. If I am not mistaken, is it about $70,000? That is tax free and they provide you with housing, all medical benefits paid for, and they pay a lot of your bills (water, electric, etc.) When you factor all that in, does it not put you close to the $100,000 mark. I am not saying EK is the way to go, but I can understand pilots making the jump from US legacies. How long would it take for an F/O at CAL or DAL to bring home that kind of money?

It's real hard to ignore the starting pay and benefits EK offers F/Os. If I am not mistaken, is it about $70,000? That is tax free and they provide you with housing, all medical benefits paid for, and they pay a lot of your bills (water, electric, etc.) When you factor all that in, does it not put you close to the $100,000 mark. I am not saying EK is the way to go, but I can understand pilots making the jump from US legacies. How long would it take for an F/O at CAL or DAL to bring home that kind of money?

It will take longer to make that money at CAL than it would at DAL. CAL's starting salary is ridiculously low (its lack of medical benefits for the first 6 months is an insult to hard working employees with families). I have been told that you can make around $70K in your 2nd or 3rd year at DAL - I don't know for sure. What I do know is that starting pay at Emirates also includes living in Dubai and enduring the disrespect and lack of personal freedoms inherent in that region. Sure, you make some good tax-free money but you are living in an expensive sand pit surrounded by people who hate your home country's foreign policy. Sure, I'd rather make a little less working for a growing US legacy and living in the States. Check out the exodus from Emirates on www.pprune.org (Middle East section) if you are interested - you will change your mind.

You need to look at the long term - do you really want to spend the rest of your career in the Middle East? You can visit the Middle East (Tel Aviv, Dubai and maybe Cairo in the near future) if you fly for Delta and you really need to visit that part of the world.

Talk it over with your family. Make a decision and don't let any one on flightinfo.com sway you.

Good Luck.

One way to look at it is decide whether you want to fly out of EWR or LGA. Newhires at CAL tend to be based out of EWR most of the time and a lot of newhire DAL pilots are flying the MD88 out of LGA or the 767ER out of JFK.

The lack of medical benefits during the first 6 months of employment at CAL is pretty lame........

On the subject of our 737's our 800,900's pay the same as the 757 and the those aircraft will be more then half our 737 fleet so the money is there on the 737.

They pay a 757 pilot the same as the pay a 737 pilot.

And this is a positive for CAL?

How about they pay a -800/900 pilot more than a -300/500/700 pilot, and then pay a 757 pilot more than a -800/900 pilot?

How about they pay a -800/900 pilot more than a -300/500/700 pilot, and then pay a 757 pilot more than a -800/900 pilot?

I suspect that this pay arrangement was made so that the senior pilots who want to do domestic have the option to do so without going on a lower payscale. At least that's my guess. And no, I'm not defending it. I think it's a well-beaten point that the CAL contract has many shortcomings.

"Yeah" and DL pays a B767 the same as the B757!

We pay the 76 more,,, so what's your point? Both airlines pay the same to two different size airplanes; you call that a positive for DL?

How about they pay a B767-200 (when they had them) and the -300 pilot more than a B757-200?

"Yeah" and DL pays a B767 the same as the B757!

We pay the 76 more,,, so what's your point? Both airlines pay the same to two different size airplanes; you call that a positive for DL?

How about they pay a B767-200 (when they had them) and the -300 pilot more than a B757-200?

I thought the Delta pilots brought the 757 wages up to the 767 wages? That would be good, right? They also have more 757s and 767s than Continental, and have orders for more widebodies too. Looking at Airlinepilotcentral.com the pay rates for Delta are much better than Cal's, there are no scabs, and the bases are better. Easy choice.

I thought the Delta pilots brought the 757 wages up to the 767 wages? That would be good, right? They also have more 757s and 767s than Continental, and have orders for more widebodies too. Looking at Airlinepilotcentral.com the pay rates for Delta are much better than Cal's, there are no scabs, and the bases are better. Easy choice.

What are you reading at that website? On order, we have 25 B787's ordered, as a percent, how does DL have more than coming?

CAL B757 12yr CA $163, B767-200 $186

DAL B75/B76 12yr CA $158

Read my previous, I told this person I too would choose DL.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back