Reading Maxim in uniform

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I-pod in the terminal

Well I find it acceptable, if I'm on one of the splendid airport appreciation breaks to lsiten to my MP3 player while sitting or eating lunch.

I don't think it looks good to walk around with it on, but I wouldn't get bent out of shape over it.

I walked around with it on a few times and got some dirty looks form paxs and other crewmembers so i knocked it off(I guess I look young and have had people question me about my age, so i try to not look like a punk ), but if i'm on a break and just sitting around, I will listen to it.

Last edited:
ReverseSensing said:
The majority of pilots I fly with are younger than me, and I just don't see in-the-public-eye professionalism as being primarily an age issue.

I agree with you more than is probably apparent.

Outside the context of this board, I'd say my experience is much the same as yours and I think we would be on the same page.

But within the confines of this thread, I see a real dividing line. Hence the qualifying statement of "younger".

See my next post for an example.

Well. I wear my Ipod and listen to it when I walk from C to D in ATL I hope it is not a big deal. I am aware of how it looks and you know I say it is my five minutes of peace between flights I am on duty, however I have the hat on and turn it off if someone asks me a question.

Jack Mehoff said:
you know prog2/2... Your ranting reminds me of my first corporate job. The Cheif pilot told me on my first day "what is your job as an F/O?" I told him I thought it was to perform the duties outlined in our SOP's. Provide all useful information during WX/emergency information ect. (Keep in mind my shoes are always shined shirts and pants always drycleaned and pressed.)

He told me I was wrong. I was very confused at this point and asked then what was my job. He responded "To make the Captain look good!" "If you do that, then someday you will have an F/O to make you look good no matter how much you screw up. A Captains job is to look like he knows what he is doing."

Guess what. Your first Chief Pilot belonged in a red Craftsman box. Top drawer next to the screwdrivers.

He was about 50 something and came from that golden era mind set of always the Capt's leg, get the coffee, and suck my _____. Your ranting reminds me of that retard. alot of your 40-50 something capts feel like you are heros no matter what and anyone that isn't in their 30's is a scumbag.

How you got that out of what I posted, I can only guess.

you feel we all need to have a 1950's haircuts, shined shoes, and a hat or we are not worth dirt.

I don't. The public at large just might, though.

Look at pilot skills and attitude before you judge the younger generation buddy. When you F-up (and you grey hairs do just as much as us spikies) and are standing infront of the FAA it doesn't matter how nice your hat is you are still getting violated.

You're gonna prove my point for me right here.

I get to look at your skills and attitude, as you do mine, and that helps us make a judgement about one another as professionals.

The average schmuck walking through the terminal gets no such peek at the "inner you". All he sees is what is in front of him, and he makes his judgement of your professional standing based on that.
-----

I would be insulted if someone had to tell me how to act or dress. It is almost insulting that my FOM tells me that I cant wear "facial jewelry". I am insulted that my employer would think that I would wear a nose ring. I am insulted that my company has to tell me, via the FOM, that I must wear black shoes and blue socks. I am insulted that they dont think I know how to dress myself. I would be insulted if a FA had to tell me what was inappropriate reading material.

Dont get me wrong, I have one of the foulest mouths away from the airport. I only wear shorts or jeans, away from the airport. I like to ride motorcycles and snow ski, but you would never know that while I was at work.

Dress appropriate. Act appropriate. = Dress professional. Act professional.

John Pennekamp said:
You're kidding, right? Show me where it includes mind control as a condition of accepting a free ride. Let the lad read whatever he wants! Do you give your jumpseaters propaganda to read? Do you screen their reading material?.

Show me where it says you are entitled, deserve or earned a free ride. I don't screen thier reading material, but I screen their attitude and behavior. Bad attitude means no jumpseat. What I look for in a jumpseater and how I try to behave as a jumpseater is with: humilty, repsect (both self and of others), a request, proper docs, a positive attitude and gratittude.

John Pennekamp said:
Yes. You, sir are a tool. Tattle all you want, we're talking about a stinking magazine here! .

No tattling here. Plenty of opportunity for one to self correct. Poor behavior was highlighted. Consequences of not recognizing poor behavior and apologizing where indicated. Thus giving the offending free ride pilot an understanding that HE does not run the show on anothers ship.

Yeah we are talking about a magazine, but we are really talking about offensive behavior. What do hope to gain by offending a crew you are getting a free ride. Is your ego that important that you have to have it your way? Besides what is so important in Maxim mag or any entertainment mag that it must be read on a jet. Can't it wait till you get home? Or go to the LAV and read it.

John Pennekamp said:
Still you, apparently. I too tell my FAs they own the cabin. I also expect them to treat MY guest courteously. If this happened on my airplane, the FA would get a lecture, not the jumpseater. Bottom line, the FA was out of line.

Translation to your FA's: You own the cabin, but if a jumpseater offends you and I, Capt. John Pannekamp, agree with the jumpseater, then I will lecture you. You can only be offended if I say so. I will tell you how to feel. I, your Capt, will control your mind as part of you accepting employment here and agreeing to serve under my command. :rolleyes:

FA's in my crew come before jumpseaters. They show up before the jumpseater and stay alot longer than jumpseaters... I am comfortable with this priority schedule. I am not going to sacrifice a FA's postive attitude or offend her so some clown can read an entertainment magazine. :rolleyes:

John Pennekamp said:
A little of both, I guess..

I don't guess. In this situation I know. FA's don't have to do anything for jumpseaters. I don't expect them to either.

John Pennekamp said:
I'm nominating you for the Award of Excellence! You too can go rub elbows in the Caribbean with your management buddies! Thanks for playing. Chalk one up for another pimple faced Riddle kid who thinks they know it all after 5 years in the industry.

Boeingman, DAngelo, Dave Benjiman, Sig, Fins etc..... I am being accused of being pro-management! If I were in the carrib with management they'd see my ALPA ink. (no, I really don't have an ALPA tattoo! :rolleyes: )

Man attitudes like yours indicate, when an emergency hits you are the first one out the door. Stepping over old ladies and kids. You're a real gem.

It is incredibly clear that you are disapointed with your job and career. Your expectations aren't being met. This issue is a tip of the icebeg with your problem. Call your buddies up, buy a six pack and let it all out man!

Last edited:
Funny story, I was swapping planes with a friend of mine...He was wearing His backpack during His post-flight walkaround. I said, "NICE backpack, DUDE". He said, yeah, my gun's in there...I figure leaving it sitting unsupervised would be a bad thing. I said(feeling pretty dumb for calling him out), "Oh, yeah, so how was that FFDO training?" We commenced a short convo about FFDOs. If a man has a gun, he can wear a backpack in my book:). Anyway, all of this discussion is a result of the post-modern mindset. Basically, "I'm not going to do something because you said so, or because it's "right"...I'll only do something because you prove, empirically, it is the correct thing to do" Since things like etiquette and professionalism are currently up for debate(due to post modern thinking), this issue will NEVER be resolved. BUT, continue arguing, it's fun to watch...

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

xjmnpilot said:
WMUFLYGUY - I think the Editors of Maxim would be highly dissapointed in you! Their take would be to turn the interest in your reading material by the F/A an opportunity! You should have turned that passive agressiveness right on back around and said, "Hey, its not that bad. Sit down next to me here and take a look!" . . . . . . . . . . .. You could then ask questions about which women she finds more attractive, one thing leads to another....you get it? The added benefit is crew harmony...

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! Thanks for playing.

Rez, you and I are usually on the same page on this stuff, but I've got to disagree with you here. I agree that the Maxim is inappropriate to be reading in uniform (I won't even purchase one while in uniform), but the FA is out of line to be telling the jumpseater what to do. She can politely request it, but that should be as far as it goes. If any demands are going to be made of the jumpseater, they should be made by the Captain of that flight, not the FA.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
If a jumpseater distracted my FA, I'd have words
with the jumpseater.

I look at it the other way around. If my FA gave the jumpseater (MY guest) a hassle, then I would have words with the FA. I will not put up with FAs being rude to a jumpseater that is there as my guest.

I tell the FA's that the cabin is thier total juristiction.

This is one of my pet peeves. The entire airplane is the Captain's jurisdiction.

Latest resources

Back