Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"she doesn't think" she's working without tools huh? just ignore her

sweptback said:
Ok, a question to all of you who say that a nonrev/deadhead crewmemeber in uniform should not use their iPod: What is/isn't off limits then?

When CommutAir was still operating as US Airways Express, we got a whole pamphlet about uniform standards and behavior, entitled, "Impressions of Excellence." (I'm sure they're still handing it out! Anyone?)

Anyway, the copy I got specifically outlined things you should and shouldn't do in public view. (A lot of it was common sense. You know, things like "Don't sit in wheelchairs at the gate," which for some reason I find really sad that they needed to specify that.)

It addressed listening to headphones specifically: It said don't do it in the terminal (duh), but that it was perfectly acceptable to do so when deadheading in the back.

So there you go, there's one airline's take on it.

I listen to an ipod on the plane and when sitting at the gate as a non-rev, but not while walking through the terminal.

I wouldn't read a Maxim around passengers at all.

As far as the reference to the "diesel" powered vibrator, that reminds me of the first Naked Gun movie where George Kennedy (Capt. Ed Hocken) held up the rubber dildo that was attached to a leaf blower. :laugh:

Last edited:
How is an Ipod in the terminal any worse than the pilots that walk around with the cellphone hands free piece hanging out of their ear and blabbing away?

Spiritflight said:
Analysis on the "Tomb of the Unknowns" email:

http://www.snopes.com/military/unknown.asp

Sopes is always good to verify those emails that sound good. It is a good thing that snopes verifies the Tomb... especially the uniform part....

Thanks!

But really... isn't it about a commitment to professionalism. An internal code that says "I decide how I behave and dress"

Free Will is power....

DoinTime said:
This is all that needs to be said. Jumpseating is no different than being a guest in someones house. If you don't like their rules, tough sh*t.

Yes, except that you're the captain's guest, not the FA's. Another story of an FA who think's she's running the show. I would thank her for opinion and go back to reading. What's she going to do, pull the plane over and give you a spanking?

WMUFLYGUY - I think the Editors of Maxim would be highly dissapointed in you! Their take would be to turn the interest in your reading material by the F/A an opportunity! You should have turned that passive agressiveness right on back around and said, "Hey, its not that bad. Sit down next to me here and take a look!" Quite frankly, the women photographed for Maxim are no less scantilly-clad than those in Cosmo, or even Shape (yeah...Shape, the exercise mag, seriously). You could then ask questions about which women she finds more attractive, one thing leads to another....you get it? The added benefit is crew harmony...

'Course that wouldn't be good if she was a total hag.

Having never had a problem reading Maxim in uniform in public, I always put the magazine away if asked, no questions. Maxim is the guys version of Cosmo, but there are some very antagonistic, hypocritical and prudish people in this world.

As long as it wasn't the UK version of Maxim. I like titties!!!

Tailwinds...

wmuflyguy said:
How is an Ipod in the terminal any worse than the pilots that walk around with the cellphone hands free piece hanging out of their ear and blabbing away?

Valid.

I believe B6 doesn't want its pilots using cell phones in public view.

Let's look at it from the public's perception. Realize that the public has a completely niave, superfical impression of flight crews. And thier preception is their reality and...it is their money.

As a culture we accept phone conversations as generally important. (sure there are crews in uniform that don't have professional conversations.... [maybe even with crew scheduling :eek: ]) So how does a pilot discriminate when using a cell phone in public. That is what the professionalism concept is all about. Professionals do not need to be policed.

Listening to an I-pod is not percieved to be important. Your musical entertainment is not critical to flight safety. Just becuase I-pods are convienent doesn't mean it is a professional image.

Latest resources

Back