Reading Maxim in uniform

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Jack Mehoff said:
When you F-up (and you grey hairs do just as much as us spikies) and are standing infront of the FAA it doesn't matter how nice your hat is you are still getting violated.

Um, is that getting violated with the power tools everyone's writing about?

Tailwinds...

pilotguy733 said:
Reading Maxim in uniform is really tacky. This industry is getting less professional all the time! I'd give you a dirty look if I was sitting near you, and if I was your captain, I'd have a private man-to-man lesson on professionalism.

I'm getting really sick of seeing:

1. Pilots listening to Ipods
2. Pilots wearing backpacks
3. Reading Maxim or similar in public
4. Swearing in public
5. Pants from Sears that aren't even the right color blue
6. Your student pilot flight bag
7. Etc Etc!! I'm sure the FI crowd will come up with more...

Now I'm not a total shmuck - I think its perfectly acceptable to read whatever ya want in the cockpit - AWAY FROM THE PUBLIC EYE. Or, if conditions are appropriate, listing to an Ipod.
I completely agree! And I'm not from the 50s, I'm in my early 20s. There is a time and a place for these things.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
Valid.

I believe B6 doesn't want its pilots using cell phones in public view.

Let's look at it from the public's perception. Realize that the public has a completely niave, superfical impression of flight crews. And thier preception is their reality and...it is their money.

As a culture we accept phone conversations as generally important. (sure there are crews in uniform that don't have professional conversations.... [maybe even with crew scheduling :eek: ]) So how does a pilot discriminate when using a cell phone in public. That is what the professionalism concept is all about. Professionals do not need to be policed.

Sorry, but I strongly disagree.

My personal life does not go on hold just because I'm wearing a pilot costume. The passengers that may (or may not) be offended aren't told that they can't call their loved ones, or manage their lives while they're in public, so why hold us to a different standard? Frankly, I think it's rude when they interrupt me to ask if their flight to Tokyo tomorrow is going to be on time. Passengers are rude, fickle, mindless, trolls when they come to the airport, and they expect us to bend over and kiss their butts just because they shelled out $199 for a transcontintental ticket. They don't own the airline and they don't own us. It kills me when pilots talk of how we have to take care of the passengers because they pay our paychecks. That's management kool-aid. The passengers will fly whoever has the cheapest ticket, period.

I'm also kind of tired of the constant debate about "professionalism". Read the AOPA magazine or Flying and you'll see what I mean. Everyone has their own definition, mostly based on themselves.

John Pennekamp said:
Yes, except that you're the captain's guest, not the FA's. Another story of an FA who think's she's running the show. I would thank her for opinion and go back to reading. What's she going to do, pull the plane over and give you a spanking?

I tell you what she may do..... She will advise the CA that a guest is being diesresctful.

Let me get this straight. You get a FREE ride in someone elses house and you insist on behaving YOUR way? The money you saved on the FREE flight can buy you enough maxim magazines for years!

Jumpseating is not an entitlement.

If a jumpseater distracted my FA, I'd have words with the jumpseater. If he didn't concede and apologize, I'd call his union. If I didn't hear from the jumpseater then, I'd call his Chief Pilot. There is plenty of opportunity for the clown pilot to self correct. IOW the CP doesn't have to be called unless the clown pilot pushes the situation.

By now you are thinking I am a tool. Maybe.

But you come into someone elses house and treat a CA's family (crew) with disrespect and you still insist it is all about you!!!?? Absoultly incredible.

I tell the FA's that the cabin is thier total juristiction. I need to be unified with the crew. I have to work with the FA for hours or days after you have come onboard and disrupted the synergy that has been created. The last thing I need is an FA comlaning about some toolbox jumpseater and how I didn't support him/her.

Who is the tool?

Some pilots when they jumpseat actually stop what they are doing and observe the FA safety briefing..... A show of respect. Others think the FA's are house servants to bring them drinks and take thier trash....

Which one are you?

Last week I helped the FA's get pax carry-ons stowed in the overhead. The lead was so grateful she offered to buy me a beer. I was polite and declined. Civility and professionalism sure makes this job alot better.

Jumpseating Tips
· When filling out paperwork, write the time of check-in for first-come, first-served.
· Courtesy goes a long way when jumpseating.
· Make sure you have a Plan B and C.
· Usually only U.S. air carriers allow jumpseating, except air carriers listed in the agreement list.
· Some agreements do not include int’l travel (AA and CAL).
· Consider jumpseating on cargo airlines. The aircraft usually have bunk beds and/or first-class seats.
· Travel light. Big or multiple bags can create problems.
· It is greatly appreciated and respectful to observe the flight attendants’ briefing.
· Do not give or receive money if a pilot offers to use an airline pass that may or may not have a fee.

The FA you're talking about shouldn't be so offended....She should mind her business and let you be. I don't swear in public in uniform, but if I'm deadheading, I think it's perfectly acceptable to listen to an IPOD...As long as you don't fist-pump and air-guitar!

I non-rev'd on a flight from IAD-SAN a few weeks ago (in uniform). I listened to my IPOD and read Guitar Player for most of the flight. The guy sitting next to me said he thought it was cool that pilots have interests outside of just flying. I happened be be reading an article about Zeppelin IV, at the moment.

I read WSJ but I won't simply read it to appear "intelligent" or appease certain strangers on a plane. Be your own person! That doesn't mean be a jerk, though. I want to represent myself and my airline well at all times.

That said, I do think some FA's are way too overzealous sometimes and look for something to make a stink about. If I were the dude reading Maxim (I don't read it), I'd keep on reading. I almost always help my FAs clean up and get the seat pockets in order after flights- we're part of a team. I always volunteer if I'm deadheading or non-revving to do the same. But if I were treated like crap or given a hard time when it wasn't necessary, I'll head right off to do my walkaround or grab my overhead bag and leave. Just my .02.

Snaab

Last edited:
John Pennekamp said:
Sorry, but I strongly disagree.

My personal life does not go on hold just because I'm wearing a pilot costume. The passengers that may (or may not) be offended aren't told that they can't call their loved ones, or manage their lives while they're in public, so why hold us to a different standard? Frankly, I think it's rude when they interrupt me to ask if their flight to Tokyo tomorrow is going to be on time. Passengers are rude, fickle, mindless, trolls when they come to the airport, and they expect us to bend over and kiss their butts just because they shelled out $199 for a transcontintental ticket. They don't own the airline and they don't own us. It kills me when pilots talk of how we have to take care of the passengers because they pay our paychecks. That's management kool-aid. The passengers will fly whoever has the cheapest ticket, period.

I'm also kind of tired of the constant debate about "professionalism". Read the AOPA magazine or Flying and you'll see what I mean. Everyone has their own definition, mostly based on themselves.

Funny, I just repsonded to your other post as you did mine...

JP,

Not sure what your expectations are for this career, but I can tell you that you are going down the wrong path.

Your post above screams entitlement and 'What can I get out of this for me'.

Professionals have an inherent trust in themsleves and in their profession that if they serve thier customers, patients or clients, then they themselves will reap the rewards. It therefore starts with you.

As you continue in this job you are going to find it increasingly unpleasant. You will not realize job satisfaction and hopefully, for yourself and the rest of us, you will find another profession.

If you'd like remain in this profession may I suggest the following

• Servant Leadership
  • Shackleton's Way
  • Nuts
  • The SWA Way
  • Customer Culture: How FedEx and Other Great Companies Put the Customer First Every Day

Last edited:
Rez O. Lewshun said:
I tell you what she may do..... She will advise the CA that a guest is being diesresctful.

Let me get this straight. You get a FREE ride in someone elses house and you insist on behaving YOUR way? The money you saved on the FREE flight can buy you enough maxim magazines for years!

Jumpseating is not an entitlement.
You're kidding, right? Show me where it includes mind control as a condition of accepting a free ride. Let the lad read whatever he wants! Do you give your jumpseaters propaganda to read? Do you screen their reading material?

Rez O. Lewshun said:
If a jumpseater distracted my FA, I'd have words with the jumpseater. If he didn't concede and apologize, I'd call his union. If I didn't hear from the jumpseater then, I'd call his Chief Pilot. There is plenty of opportunity for the clown pilot to self correct. IOW the CP doesn't have to be called unless the clown pilot pushes the situation.

By now you are thinking I am a tool. Maybe.
Yes. You, sir are a tool. Tattle all you want, we're talking about a stinking magazine here!

Rez O. Lewshun said:
But you come into someone elses house and treat a CA's family (crew) with disrespect and you still insist it is all about you!!!?? Absoultly incredible.

I tell the FA's that the cabin is thier total juristiction. I need to be unified with the crew. I have to work with the FA for hours or days after you have come onboard and disrupted the synergy that has been created. The last thing I need is an FA comlaning about some toolbox jumpseater and how I didn't support him/her.

Who is the tool?
Still you, apparently. I too tell my FAs they own the cabin. I also expect them to treat MY guest courteously. If this happened on my airplane, the FA would get a lecture, not the jumpseater. Bottom line, the FA was out of line.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
Some pilots when they jumpseat actually stop what they are doing and observe the FA safety briefing..... A show of respect. Others think the FA's are house servants to bring them drinks and take thier trash....

Which one are you?
A little of both, I guess.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
Last week I helped the FA's get pax carry-ons stowed in the overhead. The lead was so grateful she offered to buy me a beer. I was polite and declined. Civility and professionalism sure makes this job alot better.
I'm nominating you for the Award of Excellence! You too can go rub elbows in the Caribbean with your management buddies! Thanks for playing. Chalk one up for another pimple faced Riddle kid who thinks they know it all after 5 years in the industry.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
Funny, I just repsonded to your other post as you did mine...

JP,

Not sure what your expectations are for this career, but I can tell you that you are going down the wrong path.

Your post above screams entitlement and 'What can I get out of this for me'.

Professionals have an inherent trust in themsleves and in their profession that if they serve thier customers, patients or clients, then they themselves will reap the rewards. It therefore starts with you.

As you continue in this job you are going to find it increasingly unpleasant. You will not realize job satisfaction and hopefully, for yourself and the rest of us, you will find another profession.

If you'd like remain in this profession may I suggest the following

• Servant Leadership
  • Shackleton's Way
  • Nuts
  • The SWA Way
  • Customer Culture: How FedEx and Other Great Companies Put the Customer First Every Day

Don't talk to me like your child. I have more time in this profession than you have wiping your bottom.

I bust out my Michigan Out of Doors (Basically a conservastion/hunting/fishing in an equal mix,) and proceed to relax and read. I hear "I don't like hunting," out of the trashy whores mouth, and I mummble a reply to the effect of "oh that's too bad, or sorry you don't." She got visably upset at that comment and goes on how since she didn't like hunting I should have the decency of not reading about it front of her, blah, blah, blah. I told her to not like hunting in one of the rows aft of us, and I'll go on not liking her right here. Seemed to work, never heard anorther word out of her.
I was scanning the channels in the crew room the other day and came across a hunting show. They were shooting geese and the flight attendant sitting with me about came unglued! It was hilarious! I kept it there long enough to get a rise out of her and then turned the channel. As I was scanning the channel, CNN came on with an old report of the Pope getting shot. She didn't freak out so I had to ask her why she doesn't get all bent out of shape when a person gets shot, only birds. "Well, the birds are innocent and cannot protect themselves." O.K. and the Pope can stop a bullet?

xjmnpilot said:
WMUFLYGUY - I think the Editors of Maxim would be highly dissapointed in you! Their take would be to turn the interest in your reading material by the F/A an opportunity! You should have turned that passive agressiveness right on back around and said, "Hey, its not that bad. Sit down next to me here and take a look!" Quite frankly, the women photographed for Maxim are no less scantilly-clad than those in Cosmo, or even Shape (yeah...Shape, the exercise mag, seriously). You could then ask questions about which women she finds more attractive, one thing leads to another....you get it? The added benefit is crew harmony...

'Course that wouldn't be good if she was a total hag.

I get it, but no way I was going to jump on that grenade.

Latest resources

Back