Ram Air Freight Pay Scale Increase

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
IFollowRoads said:
Yes, but to impress an insurance company for a good corporate captain position you'll need turbine time.

Unlike most people I could care less what I fly as long as the mx is good, QOL. is good, and pay is good. So many people will fly a turbine for 15k a year it makes me sick. When will people learn that just because its big doesn't make it cool.

airjake said:
Oh, and you should never lecture freight dogs about PIC authority or provide anecdotal evidence from your banner-towing career. I doubt you ever towed one through ice or thunderstorms in the middle of the night. Just a little advice. Take it or leave it.

I'll take it. I know where I stand and it is quite low on the totem pole. Lecturing freight dogs is not my intent and would be down right stupid. I'm only reflecting on my odd situation. I work for a banner company that is infamous for some shotty old planes. Half the folks that show up to fly just turn around and leave after they see the planes. The deal is, is that they actually are very safe being completely stripped down like they are. Having no electrical systems make the planes simple and it's very easy to find any problems that may arise (no cowling.) Also, the pilots are responsible for almost all maintenance on their plane (the A&P coaches us through of course.) We also put the planes together at the beginning of the season after the engines have been pickled all winter. All I'm saying, is that having learned what I have by performing the Mx and all, is that many pilots unneccessarily freak out about things like oil leaks and dirty old beat up planes. Has absolutely nothing to do with the freight dog category of pilots. It's more about those pilots that like to run around telling other folks that they should never fly single pilot cargo jobs because they all have deadly equipment and they all MAKE you go. I just don't buy it. I could be wrong but I'll find out for myself soon enough. Oh, and not that it really matters, but banners pilots do fly through (or should I say under) thunderstorms and beach fog has proven to be a serious issue a couple days of each week but I know what you're saying. It doesn't compare. Has scared the living crap out of me though!

Didn't mean to jump on you personally mcjohn. It looks like your doing things the right way career-wise. I would much rather have someone with your background where I work than whoever just gratuated from whatever pilot factory. I just laugh sometimes at the so-called advice some people like to give out on here.

Way2Broke said:
Unlike most people I could care less what I fly as long as the mx is good, QOL. is good, and pay is good. So many people will fly a turbine for 15k a year it makes me sick. When will people learn that just because its big doesn't make it cool.

Ease up on me bro!! I was only commenting on insurance companies. As far as QOL issues, I left a 40k/yr gig to move back home with the wife and kids. Now I strap on a 172 every day. I know what you're saying ;)

McJohn it is true a minor oil leak is nothing to worry about. When that oil leak gets to the point where it gets inside the landing gear and causes a brake failure its another story. And be careful flying planes that have minor things wrong with them. Although you (or ram management) may not view it as a serious issue the faa might disagree. Its your liscense on the line not theirs so be careful.

Big Dog is it true this new pay scale was put in place due to a six month contract that Ram has adopted?

I don't trust the FAA. They recently decided to check up on how the banner company I work for "trains" us to go into the nearby airport to refuel "without radios." The FAA gives us waivers to tow banners so they have to come out and observe how successfully we've been trained to pick up and drop banners. That is normal. But it looks like they recently have been contacted by someone back at the field we fly into for refueling. That person seems to have a problem with us flying into "his" field without radios and complained or something so now the FAA has requested that the owner of our banner company send in a write up of how he trains us to go into the other field without radios. I told the owner/boss that he doesn't have to do that and he may want to contact AOPA legal services for some advice on what to do. I mean c'mon! Where the hell does the FAA think that the owner of a part 91 company is responsible for training commercial pilots how to proceed into a nearby field. Unfortunately this has really caused me to lose respect for what I assumed would be the PROFESSIONAL PROCESSES OF THE FAA.:smash:

IFollowRoads said:
Ease up on me bro!! I was only commenting on insurance companies. As far as QOL issues, I left a 40k/yr gig to move back home with the wife and kids. Now I strap on a 172 every day. I know what you're saying ;)
That comment was never directed at you. It is directed at any pilot that has ever taken a job just so that they can say "I fly a jet." I respect people like you for having morals and a real understanding of what is important in life.

Last edited:
mcjohn said:
I don't trust the FAA. They recently decided to check up on how the banner company I work for "trains" us to go into the nearby airport to refuel "without radios."

Come on man, can't your boss buy some handhelds or something. If he is that cheap, how do you ever get anything else fixed. Are you dropping banners and picking them up at this airport?

Latest resources

Back