• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Radio Pet Peeves

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm going to have to agree with NJACapt. We fly into a lot of places that aren't controlled. The big problem both of us have never been there. We don't know what we are looking for. We are trying to figure out the runway, the winds. He's doing a checklist. I'm doing IOE watching his checklist, he's on 2 i'm monitoring 1 and 2. The passengers are up front getting coffee and trying to start a conversation.

Then I hear xyz traffic cessna over old man johnson's farm inbound. "

Where the hell is old man johnson's farm?

please don't use landmarks, or names of lakes, or farms. We aren't usually from there.

Please everytime you go into an airport anounce the airports name. It's so the conversation in the airplane is not "where was he going?"

Oh if those instructors from texas are on this board i enjoyed hearing about the date with the girl from hooters. We laughed for a whole hour.

I was amazed that two people in the front of a jet can make such a mess up, especially an outfit like NetJets. Oh well......

We screw up all the time. It's what we learn from it that makes a difference. Oh yeah and sometimes were just having a bonehead day.

Last edited:
I was amazed that two people in the front of a jet can make such a mess up, especially an outfit like NetJets. Oh well......

We screw up all the time. It's what we learn from it that makes a difference. Oh yeah and sometimes were just having a bonehead day.

Case in point. ARRGH stupid button

Superfueler said:
OK, here is my pet peeve, I think it is limited to the controllers at my aerodrome.

I'm in my little 172, and call clearance for a VFR departure (class C airspace). Nothing. Call them again. Nothing. United calls for taxi, and the controller responds right away. Then I call them again, and they decide to respond. Seems like they don't want to make the effort to wake up unless its a 'real' airplane calling them. Same thing happens when I am in the aviation petroleum transport and delivery vehicle.

Hey... not sure what to say. Most controllers do not know much about GA ... we have all flown on the big 'real' jets and put a face with them, but most don't really know about you guys in the 172's. Some of us have flown GA and always try to go the extra mile for GA, any request we try and work out. I can't say the same for every controller in the system. Try getting a tour of the tower... chat with the controllers. From your stats I assume you're looking to fly bigger and better things. Try mentioning that and what you do around the airport, maybe even offer one of them a FAM trip up in the plane. Next time you (or another GA guy) calls up maybe they'll have a different reaction.

If it makes you feel better it happens to me... I fly every so often with a friend who is a CFI ... got turned down by a sector in my facility for flight following because he was 'busy' ... which I knew was B.S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Pet peeves..

MetroSheriff said:
Many carriers require it per their SOPs. ASA is one, and I am sure there are many others.

Yeah, I knew that, but it doesn't make it any more fun for the guy at the hold short line with all the strobes blazing away.

SkyWest at LAX.

That aircraft was holding in position at night at an intersection. They don't do that anymore.

flx757 said:
It's right between old man johnson's crick and old man johnson's woods.

It works the other way too:

"Podunk area traffic, SexyTwin 243DT is VEEDA inbound on the VOR-A approach, low approach only, we'll be direct to the MYSTIC LOM on the missed. Any traffic in the area please advise."

Right now, all the VFR pilots in the pattern know that someone mentioned the airport they are at, but beyond that, they don't have the slightest idea where you are or what you're doing. Make calls VFR pilots can understand too!

I guess I really don't have too many pet peeves. I kinda enjoy the different dialect oozing threw the headsets. On those long x-country trips it makes for a little entertainment on an otherwise boring trip.

One thing that does piss me off is being dumped off a mile outside of a busy uncontrolled field because of a delayed letdown through a scud layer only to find 6 VFR guys doing pattern work. I think that is by far the most dangerous glitch in the system. It just happened to me at John Tune last week, very scary!

Speaking of radio usage...im sure all of the CFIs out there have some stories about their students (Theres not law about talking about your students, like the patient dr. relationship, right? :)

Cessna 4F: Off of Biglittleville IFR to Smellville

ATC: Cleared to Smellville as filed, maintain 4000, Squawk 4321, Say altitude

Cessna 4F: (Chimes right in with)...Cleared as filed, 4000, 4321, Altitude. (DOH)

Recently i had another...

ATC: Cessna 4F you are 5 from CAPPY turn left to 230 maintain 3000 until established cleared ILS 21.

Cessna4F: Left, Cleared.

?!@?!@
I had to laugh....

and one final blunder...and luckily this wasnt my student...

ATC: Cessna 44R turn right to 210 cleared for takeoff runway 17

....The student repeats the call, and turns to 210 ON THE GROUND, (which just happened to make some sense to him since their was a ramp/taxi lining up with that heading and took off on it! Yikes...

Finally, I would say one of my pet peeves is the "Taking the active" clear of the active...at Non-towered airports.

My $.02 Worth

Here is one that makes my blood boil. I have heard many times when aircraft call ready for takeoff at the departure end of the runway, the tower controllers only response is "ROGER". What exactly does that mean. Hold Short or Takeoff. I'm waiting for the day that I'm on a 1/2 mile final, and a student pilot thought process is....Well I said I was ready for takeoff, the controller said "ROGER" which means "OK", so I guess I will takeoff. When ever they do this to me I always say HOLDING SHORT OF 12R.

Along the same lines, I know the AIM says that turbine aircraft are assumed to be ready for departure upon reaching the end of the runway, but at some airports if one does say they are ready, you will sit. Other airports if you do call ready, you get a lecture.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back