Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JoeyC

Hi All....

I was just wondering if you can return to flight training in the Navy if you previously DOR'ed?

Heres the situation....I commissioned in 2004 and was an SNA selectee. Then, I went to NAMI (Naval Flight Physical) and got the ol' NAMI WAMI. I was pissed and hurt since I had come so far.

I was offered an NFO slot....started API but It just didn't feel right....I guess I was bitter so I DOR'ed.

At that time, then Navy was overstaffed with junior officers and pretty much anyone that DOR'ed or was attrited was going to be sent home. And thats what happened to me.

I'm still in the IRR and lately have been regretting that decision that I made 3 1/2 years ago. just wondering what the process would be or even if its possible to go back?

I'm flying for the regionals now and its just not as exciting as I thought it would be.

Thanks for any input,

Joe C.

Hi All....

I was just wondering if you can return to flight training in the Navy if you previously DOR'ed?

Heres the situation....I commissioned in 2004 and was an SNA selectee. Then, I went to NAMI (Naval Flight Physical) and got the ol' NAMI WAMI. I was pissed and hurt since I had come so far.

I was offered an NFO slot....started API but It just didn't feel right....I guess I was bitter so I DOR'ed.

At that time, then Navy was overstaffed with junior officers and pretty much anyone that DOR'ed or was attrited was going to be sent home. And thats what happened to me.

I'm still in the IRR and lately have been regretting that decision that I made 3 1/2 years ago. just wondering what the process would be or even if its possible to go back?

I'm flying for the regionals now and its just not as exciting as I thought it would be.

Thanks for any input,

Joe C.

From my experience and my .02........ I would say no bro. What busted you at NAMI that wasn't caught in your inital Flt Phys chk during your selection process?

my .02

I'd say fat chance, but rumor on the street is the OCS aviation slots were upped by almost 300%. Anything is possible. You'll never know if you don't try, however you were a commissioned officer, and resigned. Pretty big strike against you, the military isn't in the habit of rehiring quitters as harsh as that sounds.

I'd say fat chance, but rumor on the street is the OCS aviation slots were upped by almost 300%. Anything is possible. You'll never know if you don't try, however you were a commissioned officer, and resigned. Pretty big strike against you, the military isn't in the habit of rehiring quitters as harsh as that sounds.

SIG

Your intel on 7599 slots. Is that AOCS or OCS, or both?

Foley: Mayo, I want you D.O.R.
Mayo: No sir. You can kick me outta here, but I ain't quitting.
Foley: Get into your fatigues, Mayo. By the end of this weekend, you'll quit.

Foley: You can forget it! You're out!
Mayo: Don't you do it! Don't! You... I got nowhere else to go! I got nowhere else to g... I got nothin' else.

Concur with SIG 600. Motivated officers is what we are looking for. Competition is tough.

Umm... I am gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there. These days the navy will be glad to have anyone that will volunteer for 12-15 months in the litter box.

But, it's unlikely they will take a guy that DOR'd back. Trust me bro, if you love wiggling the stick you will never be happy as a FO. You got it right the first time.

PS- Rez, that was pretty gay.

PS- Rez, that was pretty gay.

no...Richard Gere's face when he said I got nowhere else to go was hilarious....

no.... this is gay... very gay in fact...

Maverick: So you were there?
Viper: I was there. What's on your mind?
Maverick: My options, Sir.
Viper: Simple. First you've acquired enough points to show up tomorrow and graduate with your Top Gun class, or you can quit. There'd be no disgrace. That spin was hell, it would've shook me up.
Maverick: So you think I should quit?
Viper: I didn't say that. The simple fact is you feel responsible for Goose and you have a confidence problem. Now I'm not gonna sit here and blow sunshine up your ass, Lieutenant. A good pilot is compelled to evaluate what's happened, so he can apply what he's learned. Up there, we gotta push it. That's our job. It's your option Lieutenant. All yours.
Maverick: Sorry to bother you on a Sunday, Sir, but thank you very much for your time.
Viper: No Problem. Good luck.

no...Richard Gere's face when he said I got nowhere else to go was hilarious....

no.... this is gay... very gay in fact...

Maverick: So you were there?
Viper: I was there. What's on your mind?
Maverick: My options, Sir.
Viper: Simple. First you've acquired enough points to show up tomorrow and graduate with your Top Gun class, or you can quit. There'd be no disgrace. That spin was hell, it would've shook me up.
Maverick: So you think I should quit?
Viper: I didn't say that. The simple fact is you feel responsible for Goose and you have a confidence problem. Now I'm not gonna sit here and blow sunshine up your ass, Lieutenant. A good pilot is compelled to evaluate what's happened, so he can apply what he's learned. Up there, we gotta push it. That's our job. It's your option Lieutenant. All yours.
Maverick: Sorry to bother you on a Sunday, Sir, but thank you very much for your time.
Viper: No Problem. Good luck.

I think it's more gay you can quote that entire scene.

Don't bother Joey.. If I see you in my squadron I will bash you back to the regionals. I know plenty of NFO's that stuck it out and deserve a CHANCE at a pilot slot.

You QUIT!!!! Anyone else, with or without military experience, deserves a student slot before you.

One of my best buds that wanted a pilot slot initially got NAMI'd and then became a trusted ECMO and freind. He got rejected a second time for pilot just because there were not enough slots. He is still an valuable ECMO today.

If he doesn't get a slot, then you don't deserve flying anything other then from A to B.

....my drunk .02

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back