• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question For The Navy Folks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Back in the good ole days if you DOR'ed you had a two year fleet obligation as a E-3 before commissioning, or three years as a Ensign in any non-flying slot after commissioning

Barney,

As you know, most commissionees earned their degree at the expense of the taxpayer. If he wasn't commissioned through the academy or NROTC he still earned a paycheck in OCS and API. The return on the taxpayers' investment is an officer who pledges to support and defend the Constitution, et al...

I'm not trying to bag on Joey - if he desires to be an officer again and live up to what it entails I fully support him. But I know there have been many who were commissioned, went to flight school, got the NAMI whammy, manned up and became NFO's, and fulfilled their obligatuion of service.

I am just trying to emphasize military servics is just that... service.

Got luck to you, Joey. All of us make decisions which we later regret.

As a guy that got NPQ'd in HS from going to the any of the Academies or doing the ROTC thing, I was pretty crushed. I continued to bust my ass while I was in college trying to get a military flight slot, and eventually luck came on my side and the Navy finally decided to waiver asthma. For every guy like me that finally gets in there are a ton more that didn't. I saw a guy DOR in API and the entire class wanted to kill that guy because he wasted a flight slot, all because he just wasn't that into it and only chose aviation because it sounded cool. I know the NAMI Whammy sucks, but you had your shot, maybe its time to let someone else have theirs.

If for some reason you are blessed with another chance at earning wings of gold, I wouldn't let in on to your DORing to any of your classmates or IPs.

As a guy that got NPQ'd in HS from going to the any of the Academies or doing the ROTC thing, I was pretty crushed. I continued to bust my ass while I was in college trying to get a military flight slot, and eventually luck came on my side and the Navy finally decided to waiver asthma. For every guy like me that finally gets in there are a ton more that didn't. I saw a guy DOR in API and the entire class wanted to kill that guy because he wasted a flight slot, all because he just wasn't that into it and only chose aviation because it sounded cool. I know the NAMI Whammy sucks, but you had your shot, maybe its time to let someone else have theirs.

If for some reason you are blessed with another chance at earning wings of gold, I wouldn't let in on to your DORing to any of your classmates or IPs.

I had 6 guys DOR API(1986) back when Tom Cruise was cool, then reality checked in???? Not one of us wished them well........

I was an aviation guarantee back in '82 ,when I missed 2 letters on the fine print line of the chart,and Mother green,said no P-cola for you,but heres an M16, and a .45 ,if you are interested, I stayed on as a Grunt,did my tour (loved it),and pursued flying civvie side. After reading all the above, I'm siding with the guys who hold that service above self is the higher course here. hey,God bless you if you are given a second shot, and if you get it please make the most of it,but it really isn't about you anymore when you raise your right hand,and sign that blank check for whatever happens down the line. It is an honor to serve, whether at Fl430 breaking mach, or in a fighting hole neck deep, holding the line. cheers,end of rave.

I was an aviation guarantee back in '82 ,when I missed 2 letters on the fine print line of the chart,and Mother green,said no P-cola for you,but heres an M16, and a .45 ,if you are interested, I stayed on as a Grunt,did my tour (loved it),and pursued flying civvie side. After reading all the above, I'm siding with the guys who hold that service above self is the higher course here. hey,God bless you if you are given a second shot, and if you get it please make the most of it,but it really isn't about you anymore when you raise your right hand,and sign that blank check for whatever happens down the line. It is an honor to serve, whether at Fl430 breaking mach, or in a fighting hole neck deep, holding the line. cheers,end of rave.

Welcome aboard NJA/Warrior:)

S/F

Thank you gents !

Latest resources

Back