• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question For The Navy Folks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Tough sell, but your timing is good: my Naval buds in TRACOM say the Navy is winging anything with a pulse. Attrition, in the jet pipeline at least, is rare.

You'll have to submit a packet requesting it, and anything is possible, but if I were on the board reviewing your packet, I'd vote no. I've only been retired from the Navy for a little over a year but I'm pretty sure most of the guys and gals still serving would vote the same way. I had more than my share of tying it up w/ NAMI, almost from the word go, and trust me, a motivated positive attitude from the start goes a long way toward saving a flying career in the Navy.

The lead F-14 pilot during the filming of the movie Top Gun (first one listed in the credits), was a guy who busted the eye test to be a pilot...became an F-14 RIO...then re-treaded as a pilot.

Best line I remember from my F-4 days, spoken by a RIO who went on to 4-star rank: "Never fly with a RIO that doesn't wear glasses...'cuz then you don't know what the hell's wrong with him!"

The lead F-14 pilot during the filming of the movie Top Gun (first one listed in the credits), was a guy who busted the eye test to be a pilot...became an F-14 RIO...then re-treaded as a pilot.

Best line I remember from my F-4 days, spoken by a RIO who went on to 4-star rank: "Never fly with a RIO that doesn't wear glasses...'cuz then you don't know what the hell's wrong with him!"

Yes, but what is going to be the hurdle for the original poster is his DOR after he had the NFO slot.

ditto

You'll have to submit a packet requesting it, and anything is possible, but if I were on the board reviewing your packet, I'd vote no. I've only been retired from the Navy for a little over a year but I'm pretty sure most of the guys and gals still serving would vote the same way. I had more than my share of tying it up w/ NAMI, almost from the word go, and trust me, a motivated positive attitude from the start goes a long way toward saving a flying career in the Navy.
All they can do is say no. Look into the other services, USMC, maybe even Army flight training, I know guard units have open pilot slots. Volunteering for an ACDU IA to the sandbox with follow on orders might also work. Of course assuming our new pres. in Nov has any affection for the military.

I say give it a shot -- they are indeed "winging everything with a pulse" and better yet, they are giving everybody hornets in the jet syllabus (no matter how much they suck). Sad to say, but from my peers still flying in the reserves, it's true.

Naval Aviation is changing my friends. Business school took charge of the program and it's been going downhill ever since. Pretty soon, we will be the Air Force.

Bjammin -- you're a d1ck. Give the guy some slack.

Last edited:

Hell, I used to get some ribbing for wearing contacts (eyes went about 4hrs after my winging to about 20/70 -- must have been that Absinthe I drank all night long at the old NMM O-Club). But having seen many-a pilot squinting to see something off in the distance, I always told my RIOs -- "Look, do you know how many pilots need "cheaters" but don't wear them because their ego won't let them? Trust me, more than you know. Well, is that the pilot you want bringing your fata$$ back aboard the ship at 0300 in pitching seas after a 7 hr mission?"

All they can do is say no. Look into the other services, USMC, maybe even Army flight training, I know guard units have open pilot slots. Volunteering for an ACDU IA to the sandbox with follow on orders might also work. Of course assuming our new pres. in Nov has any affection for the military.

pilotyip: no disrespect sir, but the corps would never take a DOR......

Bjammin -- you're a d1ck. Give the guy some slack.

If my ECMO buds that i've served with for years don't get a slot why should I let a quitter get his pilot wings before them?

There are NFO's with tons of real world experience that stuck it out just for the chance of getting a slot. Most of them never even b1tched. Tell me how Joey deserves a slot before them?

Latest resources

Back