• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question for RJ drivers without VNAV

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The way ASA has us doing it by dialing in the lowest hard altitude and following the snowflake really bothers me because you are setting in a lower altitude then you are cleared to. Works great until you get distracted and try to catch up. There is nothing to stop you from descending below the min altitude except the snowflake. People will bust altitudes with this method without a doubt!!

The way ASA has us doing it by dialing in the lowest hard altitude and following the snowflake really bothers me because you are setting in a lower altitude then you are cleared to. Works great until you get distracted and try to catch up. There is nothing to stop you from descending below the min altitude except the snowflake. People will bust altitudes with this method without a doubt!!

If you follow the snowflake you will not bust an altitude. As far as getting distracted, that's why we get CRM drilled into us every recurrent

I love when people like 777 say that they cannot get distracted, won't be a month until you are covering your a$$ with an asap. I have seen people forget to descend on a mandatory altitude I can't count how many times. So let's say you do, even though I know you are a super pilot and begin to descend at a higher rate to catch up. Throw in a single chime, no big deal and you start to address it. You are now descending faster than you should be to catch the snow flake and you forget for like 60 seconds to adjust. OOPS!!! You went below a min alt. You have to be kidding me to think because you took a crm class you can't seriously F UP!! I prefer to know that I can and will so I don't set the lower alt until I cross the fix that allows it.

Right but if you have several consecutive constraints, aren't you doing a lot of "diving and driving" to make the next constraint? In otherwords, in an A320 for instance, you get a "descend via" clearance and you dial in the lowest alt on the arrival and the VNAV and A/P fly the aircraft to make each constraint. I would imagine in the RJ, you would be doing a lot of tweaking with the VS wheel making sure to hit at or below, at or above etc.

Sometimes you have to put the sammich down and do some of that pilot stuff.

If you follow the snowflake you will not bust an altitude. As far as getting distracted, that's why we get CRM drilled into us every recurrent

Seriously?!?! You'll be one to bust an altitude thinking it will never happen to you.

Here’s the official definition of Advisory VNAV from AC 90-107

a. Advisory Vertical Guidance. Vertical path deviation guidance indication that is
generated by any means, but is only an aid provided by some manufacturers to help pilots meet
altitude restrictions. Advisory vertical guidance is an optional capability implemented at the
manufacturer’s discretion; not a requirement for positioning and navigation equipment.

NOTE: It is the pilot’s responsibility to use the barometric altimeter to
ensure compliance with altitude restrictions, particularly during approach
operations. Advisory vertical guidance is not approved vertical guidance like
that found on approaches with lateral navigation (LNAV)/vertical navigation
(VNAV), LPV or instrument landing system (ILS) lines of minima.

Latest resources

Back