Question for RJ drivers without VNAV

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Always deferred

A lot of the new optimized STARs in the NAS are being designed as Optimized Profile Descents, with at or above, at or below, and window altitudes designed to minimize level segments. (ex: FRDMM, TRUPS, EAGUL, etc)

Obviously these are more easily flown in VNAV, autothrottle equipped AC. My question for you drivers of CRJ 200/700 and legacy ERJ aircraft, how are you managing descents on these STARs while complying with the myriad constraints?
Is there a good rule of thumb, or are you pretty much flying the V/S wheel and hoping to make the restrictions?

Thanks
AD

Last edited:
3-1 rule still works great. The "banana" is a nice back-up.

We have VNAV on the CRJ200/700/900. It's not autopilot coupled so its technically called Advisory VNAV. It makes ODPs simple and easy. We just follow the "snowflake" down using V/S

Right but if you have several consecutive constraints, aren't you doing a lot of "diving and driving" to make the next constraint? In otherwords, in an A320 for instance, you get a "descend via" clearance and you dial in the lowest alt on the arrival and the VNAV and A/P fly the aircraft to make each constraint. I would imagine in the RJ, you would be doing a lot of tweaking with the VS wheel making sure to hit at or below, at or above etc.

The VNAV advisory on the CRJ's is a LOT better than the one in the Boeing (or at least the old faithful rig I fly) there is no "diving and driving" in neither the arrivals nor in non-precision approaches. The only negative as someone posted is that you have to tell the autopilot to do what the advisory is indicating, but I can assure you it is a lot better.

The "snowflake" looks at the entire decent profile while the VNAV info displayed on the PFD looks at the next waypoint. Fly the snowflake and it should all work out.

Right but if you have several consecutive constraints, aren't you doing a lot of "diving and driving" to make the next constraint? In otherwords, in an A320 for instance, you get a "descend via" clearance and you dial in the lowest alt on the arrival and the VNAV and A/P fly the aircraft to make each constraint. I would imagine in the RJ, you would be doing a lot of tweaking with the VS wheel making sure to hit at or below, at or above etc.

The A320 does not have VNAV, if you have an arrival and set in the lowest altitude, the aircraft will keep on trucking along at your cruise alt until you push to managed the decent. True VNAV aircraft will start down on their own when VNAV is engaged.

It will give you the down hockey stick and tell you to decelerate when at TOD. but again will maintain cruise alt until you tell it otherwise.

Sucks if you ask me.

Latest resources

Back