• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Which applies to you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
First born son, left handed and am mildly afraid of heights. My father was the second born son, right handed and I don't think heights bothered him. He started skydiving in his later years.

PAPA FOX! said:
Right handed, not afraid of heights and first of two. Check out this article about fear of heights among pilots by Rod Machado. I think it addresses the WHY behind what all of you are curious about! One thing I'll bett iss thatt alll pilotts aree worsee att spppellling thann otherr peoplee!
Great article - thanks for the link. Why are so many of us left-handed and/or the firstborn?

'Sled

2nd born, right handed, quite scared of heights. I can't look over ledges. In fact, I remember going to the Smithsonian some years back and had trouble looking down from the railing. The irony, I suppose.

Lead Sled said:
I have read that among the pilot population there are a disproportionate number individuals that are either firstborn or left-handed. I also understand that a large percentage of pilots are afraid of heights. I'm guilty on all three counts - I'm left-handed, the oldest child, and have a hard time climbing a tall ladder. How about the rest of you? Why would this be?

'Sled
You left out asperger syndrome...hahahahahah! :nuts:

Lefties, go figure. We got a bunch of those where I work at...I'd like to bring in a phrenologist and get to the bottom of all these relationships, but the company wont let me.

First born, right handed, 600 jumps, 3 base jumps and ladder climbings are for people who can't afford to pay someone to go up there and get'r done.

Used to be terrified of heights above 6'. Later worked construction, and got used to them a bit. Am OK if my footing is secure and not above 20' or so. Look over a ledge into the Black Canyon of the Gunnison? I got to hold on to something stout....

Looking Up

Vector4fun said:
Am OK if my footing is secure and not above 20' or so. Look over a ledge into the Black Canyon of the Gunnison? I got to hold on to something stout....

Here's something to try...

Standing close to the edge on a day with a few moving clouds. Lean your head back and watch the clouds move! Vertigo! Ah yeah, love that feeling.

ePilot22 said:
Here's something to try...

Standing close to the edge on a day with a few moving clouds. Lean your head back and watch the clouds move! Vertigo! Ah yeah, love that feeling.

Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!

At the least I have to have a good railing. I'm OK on the Tower Catwalk, 160' up, but I got to have a solid railing. No way I'd walk out there with nothing to hang onto.

Latest resources

Back