Question For Colgan Saab Capts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Joe Schmo

Anyone captain out there at Colgan got a better way to describe the differences between an MEL item, CDL item, and a DMI?

Don't work for colgan but I'll take a shot at it anyway. Is there some reason why the definitions would be unique to colgan?

CDL - Something is physically missing from the airplane, but you can still go (vortex generator, static wick, etc) under certain conditions.

MEL- Somehing in the airplane is inoperative, but you can still go, (pax seat, anti-ice valve, etc.) under certain condtions.

DMI- An item not covered by the MEL or CDL but Mx control can authorize the aircraft to be dispatched without it, inoperative or slightly damaged. For example, possibly a cracked piece of plastic molding on the side of the cockpit, a scratched up windshield, a ripped up seat cushion, etc.

Last edited:
Joe Schmo said:
Anyone captain out there at Colgan got a better way to describe the differences between an MEL item, CDL item, and a DMI?

Nope. All just cleaver letters for "It ain't gettin' fixed for 10 days."

Alchemy said:
Don't work for colgan but I'll take a shot at it anyway. Is there some reason why the definitions would be unique to colgan?

Thanks, wasn't sure if DMI and CDL were industry wide terms or just company specifics. Thanks for the help

DMI is a Deferred Maint. Item, this normally brought about by a compliance with the MEL. I.e. Anti-skid inop, this can be deferred with operational restrictions and the airplane returned to service with a logbook entry. Maintenance would then carry this as a DMI

I think a CDL item is also a DMI item, correct me if Im wrong, but it still has to be written up and signed off by MX. Maybe its not a DMI like an MEL with a sticker, I dont remember. For alot of things(small doors, etc) there is no where in the cockpit to put a sticker, but they are still written up. Also CLD is manufacturer based/FAA approved, MEL is owner/operator developed/FAA approved, and DMI items are part of the MEL and are FAA appoved for Cat A-Immediate, B-3 Days, C-10 Days, D-120 Days.

At Colgan, MEL and CDL items are listed on the release. DMI items are not - they are found only in the DMI log in the can.

We have the same thing at Mesaba but we call them SFWI, or short fuse watch items. Not an MEL or CDL and not on the release.

appreciate everyone's input, studying for upgrade, and its nice to have an alternate explanation on somethings.
thanks again

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back