• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question for ASA Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Varmit, i feel your pain especially on a 5 leg day through wx in atl. Yet, you are barking down the wrong tree. Dispatch has nothing to do with A/C rotations, aircraft routing and the sector teams do. If you call your dispatcher and request a swap they ask the sector mgr/ aircraft routing to see if it is feasible.

MTC req. dictate aircraft rotations with little to no input from crew scheduling. This is how it is done for most airlines including the majors.
Thank you very much..now I know someone out there knows how the system works. It may not be the best but that's what we have to work with. I can say that I do ask and also try to come up with a plan for the sector manager in order to keep the A/C..we are all on the same team lets try to work together

Flitdspx,

To put your original question into perspective:
The cost to repair a broken aircraft – Thousands
A little professional courtesy - Priceless

No, I never do.....even when I get the 1000th straight release without an alternate when one is required, or has an alternate when one is not remotely required - causing me to bump revenue passengers, or the wrong TLR info, etc, etc, etc.....

I am glad we arent the only ones dealing with this...

...along with the smart comments at the end of EVERY SINGLE call
Haha...Hi pot, this is kettle. Just kidding a little here - we've been known to give it right back sometimes though, right. ;)

Blue moon garnish with a slice of orange and a cigar
I'm disappointed...wasting that cigar. Why not a nice smooth Balvenie! :beer:

Hey buddy, glad to see things haven't changed too much. :)

Last edited:
Haha...Hi pot, this is kettle. Just kidding a little here - we've been known to give it right back sometimes though, right. ;)

I'm disappointed...wasting that cigar. Why not a nice smooth Balvenie! :beer:

Hey buddy, glad to see things haven't changed too much. :)
yea man things have not changed since you left just more interesting. Trust me I will have the Balvenie this weekend. So when are you coming back?

Thank you very much..now I know someone out there knows how the system works. It may not be the best but that's what we have to work with. I can say that I do ask and also try to come up with a plan for the sector manager in order to keep the A/C..we are all on the same team lets try to work together

I throw up the BS flag on the swap crap. I spent five years dispatching at two different national airlines and I know how the system normally works. MX rotation/coordination and the swaps are expected. However, you forget, I have access to the plot now also on ourasa. When you have me in an aircraft that is scheduled to overnight in a non mx station and I am having to swap to an aircraft overnighting in another non mx station there is no reason I shouldn't be able to keep the airplane to keep the passengers on time.

If you don't like pilots asking dispatchers for assistance maybe you need to rethink your job. Your job, and my job, when I am acting in the capacity of a dispatcher is not only to share in the responsibility for the safe operation of that flight, but is to also act as a liason for that flight crew to coordinate operational control issues/concerns on the ground. After all, in the cockpit we don't have half the resources that you do. Do you not agree?

Last edited:
Varmit, i feel your pain especially on a 5 leg day through wx in atl. Yet, you are barking down the wrong tree. Dispatch has nothing to do with A/C rotations, aircraft routing and the sector teams do. If you call your dispatcher and request a swap they ask the sector mgr/ aircraft routing to see if it is feasible.

MTC req. dictate aircraft rotations with little to no input from crew scheduling. This is how it is done for most airlines including the majors.

Swaps can be done at opportune or non-opportune times. Swapping for maintenance or for operational reasons makes sense when there is a natural crew swap (ie the aircraft comes in from a nap...crew goes home and another one takes over). Pay attention to the plot board on ourasa next time you are swapped. You will see that these swaps are occuring more randomly than for mx reasons. We used to have the ability to adjust the plot the day before to keep crews with aircraft and take into account maintenance routing for the next day. Granted, it was not always possible to do, it was possible alot more than it is happening here.

I do have to say things have been getting better the last couple of weeks. I think Brad Holt has been making some changes for the better.

Last edited:
I throw up the BS flag on the swap crap. I spent five years dispatching at two different national airlines and I know how the system normally works. MX rotation/coordination and the swaps are expected. However, you forget, I have access to the plot now also on ourasa. When you have me in an aircraft that is scheduled to overnight in a non mx station and I am having to swap to an aircraft overnighting in another non mx station there is no reason I shouldn't be able to keep the airplane to keep the passengers on time.

If you don't like pilots asking dispatchers to do their job then quit. Your job, and my job, when I am acting in the capacity of a dispatcher is not only to share in the responsibility for the safe operation of that flight, but to also act as a liason for that flight crew and coordinate things on the ground we can't do from the air. That way we can provide the best customer service possible. Do you not agree?

First of all you can throw any flag you like. I am telling you what goes on in ASA dispatch not others that you may have dispatched in.

I don't come to work and schedule crews on aircrafts it's all ready set up and I am sorry but I don't have the time to search every single flight on my desk to see if each crew can keep there aircraft.

What I am saying saying is that when a crew calls in and ask to keep there aircraft we ( dispatchers ) despite what you believe do ask the sector managers if it's possible. sometime looking a the plot one can see if aircrafts are tagged for mtc. Even if it's not tagged by swapping it may run two flights late. So would you rather run two flights late or one?

I really don't know what else to tell you if you think you have a better way, by all means send a suggestion in to the duty managers or better yet the director. I am all for running flights on time.

I agree giving good customer service should be every ones #1 priority, however by looking at the day to day operation I sometimes question just what the heck ppl are thinking

Swaps can be done at opportune or non-opportune times. Swapping for maintenance or for operational reasons makes sense when there is a natural crew swap (ie the aircraft comes in from a nap...crew goes home and another one takes over). Pay attention to the plot board on ourasa next time you are swapped. You will see that these swaps are occuring more randomly than for mx reasons. We used to have the ability to adjust the plot the day before to keep crews with aircraft and take into account maintenance routing for the next day. Granted, it was not always possible to do, it was possible alot more than it is happening here.

I do have to say things have been getting better the last couple of weeks. I think Brad Holt has been making some changes for the better.

Varmint..your still missing the point. Dispatch has nothing to do with the swaps except when we HELP you in trying to keep your aircraft when you guys all in wanting to keep your aircraft.

Latest resources

Back