• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question for AirTran Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If someone bypasses furlough IAW his CBA, then for any merger process, he should be consider on LOA/Present for duty, and not on furlough. The idea that AirTran has pilots on Furlough while SWA does not is absurb and narrow minded.

The problem is that even guys who voluntarily bypass represent pilots who will be included in the transaction, but don't bring work with them. Basically AirTran has more pilots than they have pilot positions.

buzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!! You lose.

You do have pilots currently on furlough. If you dont believe me look at the official seniority list. I've got a buddy who is furloughed right now.

Anyone that shows up as FUR on the seniority list is because they bypassed recall due to [insert personal reason here].

They wouldn't need a new hire class if the 20 guys they already hired were working and flying AT airplanes.

I don't care why they bypassed the point is you have more pilots than you have work thus the FUR status.

You don't seem to understand how fuloughs/recalls work. All furloughees have been recalled, but some of them took other contract positions or returned to active duty and have been bypassing their recall accordingly. In fact, you very well may see "FUR" next to their name on the combined list. How do ya like them horse apples? :laugh:

The issue isn't how furloughs/recalls work--the issue is whether a pilot on voluntary furlough is considered to be an active pilot or not.

If the integration is a staple, I'm sure roughneck will concede to whatever position you're trying to claim :)

If the SLI is not, roughneck's (and many other pilots' position) is that the VF's shouldn't count because the VF is basically a furlough out of order. If the VF is slotted into the list, everyone from his company gets moved down one position on the SLI from the VF's side of the pile.

doesnt matter......those who voluntarily took a LOA or furlough to help out their brothers and sisters are still on the list, and will accordingly be placed into the senority list where they currently stand. They have only lost "longevity" with regard to pay, as CBA states they retain their senority.
This whole SLI thing is what it is. I like many others will be convinced it is fair and equitable if everyone is a little upset in the end. No windfall for either side, and lets just all get to work.

doesnt matter......those who voluntarily took a LOA or furlough to help out their brothers and sisters are still on the list, and will accordingly be placed into the senority list where they currently stand. They have only lost "longevity" with regard to pay, as CBA states they retain their senority.
Moderator hat off:

I have a good friend who is on Voluntary Bypass until his corporate training contract is up who had asked the same question. The answer above is EXACTLY what the MEC has told him. If you were on INVOLUNTARY furlough, you could expect a staple. If you are on VOLUNTARY BYPASS, it's treated much the same as military leave per our CBA that was in effect BEFORE the deal was announced, and their place in the seniority pile is held.

Granted, a couple caveats for you:

1. These people are WAY down the seniority list. Seriously. Like in the bottom 150 people out of 1800+. I don't think they're going to be pushing too many people down the combined list at the end of the day.

2. There are so few of them left that it is almost-inconsequential. Seriously, if you're in the bottom of the combined list, what do you care if it's the bottom 40 or the bottom 60 of over 8,000 people? No,,, seriously?

3. The whole idea that this in ANY way would have precluded hiring is farcical, at best. We hired more in the FIRST class than we had on bypass. We were hiring over 100 people. The bypassing pilots can come back at any time there is a vacancy, and there's been one every month for the last 4 months. The whole "there wouldn't be jobs to hire for if there weren't people on bypass" argument is more than a little perplexing to those of us here...

If this discussion was started to simply discuss where those people would fall, there's your answer. If this discussion was to try to see if there was a vantage point to be had from "who had people on furlough and who was hiring", well, as anything else on FI, it's up to your own personal interpretation that will only be vetted by time and the actual results sometime late next year or early 2012. At which point Nostradamus says the world is going to end anyway, so I guess we should get off the computers and go live it up! ;)

Latest resources

Back