Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

fr8doggie

Canis Onus
Was AirTran hiring pilots at the time SWA announced the merger?

SWA buddy of mine says AirTran was not hiring and infact had pilots on furlough.

What are the facts?

No, thats wrong. All were recalled late 2009, some bypassed. We have had a few new hire classes this year, but don't know the exact number.

You buddy is beyond wrong. We were running interviews all summer for future aircraft deliveries in 2011. I heard that SWA had a huge pool of pilots and hadent hired since 2008 (I think that one is true).

The reason we were not growing the past 2 years is obvious to us now. All the trimming and schedule optimization was for the Airtran deal. Kind of annoying going through it but now it makes sense.

AirTran has about 30 guys on furlough.
SWA is running 9 classes in the 1st quarter. As someone previously said, we havent ran a class in awhile due to the fact we were saving our cash to buy some gates in ATL.

Last edited:
I thought you were saving cash to by F9. You SWA cats sure are forward thinkers- give yourself a pat on the back for me.

You buddy is beyond wrong. We were running interviews all summer for future aircraft deliveries in 2011. I heard that SWA had a huge pool of pilots and hadent hired since 2008 (I think that one is true).

I do not work for either airline but it sounds like you are trying to build your case. Airtran was interviewing and planning for the growth while SWA was not hiring at all. It will not work. You have to accept the fact that you are just a small pea in the bowl. That is all you were and that is all you would be except for the buyout.

Build my case? Just stating the facts. If they are different let me know. So are you East or West Cactus? Just kidding, I could care less.

There sure are a lot of people jumping into the Airtran/SWA merger threads that "don't work for either airline" but sure have a lot of stuff to say. And it always seems like stuff to set the two groups against each other. Kind of miserable lives you lead if that is your hobby.

Latest resources

Back