• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question About Family Safety While You're Gone

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That's what I love about Florida. You don't even have to drag the armed corpse inside the threshold anymore.

That's what I love about Florida. You don't even have to drag the armed corpse inside the threshold anymore.

You have to love living in the South where the Castle Doctrine is Law in most States. Thank God our States allow us the most basic human right to defend ones life and property. Property is secondary, but the way I look at it anyone who may be bold enough to force their way into my home when my family is in in the dwelling is a real and serious threat to life and liberty.

Bear in mind the 5th amendment does not mean you are hiding anything. It is your defense against an over zealous courts or D.A. All you need to say is "My life was in danger and I would like to speak to my Attorney". Thats is all you should say. No, you have done nothing wrong but let things like race and age enter the picture and a D.A. with bigger political aspirations and you may find yourself in a tight spot. I am no Atty. but I have read much on the subject and you are doing yourself no favors by talking without an Atty. present. The L.E.O's or the D.A. are not your enemies but nor are they your advocate.

Just food for thought given the subject........

A dog is a great companion and intruders hate them.

Second option, shotgun.

One other thing I heard recently. For all you Facebookers and Tweeters, don't post that you are on the other side of the country. Save those comments and photo postings for when you get back home so you aren't advertising your empty home.

I agree with all of the above posters. A good dog will always alert you to intruders. (Boxers are awesome and gentle with the kids) I too live in a good neighborhood that has been experiencing break-ins and other problems, perhaps it accompanies the bad economy. Also, there have been a number of problems with fraud relating to people having their mail stolen. Stay vigilant, there are always dirtbags wanting to steal what you've worked hard for!

I added a home alarm at my wife's request. She didn't like being home alone with the kids while I was on the road, and it gave her some peace of mind. Hopefully the police won't be too far behind if the alarm goes off.

If you don't go with an alarm, steal an ADT or BRINKS alarm sign from a neighbor and stick it in your front yard.

I think that one of our most vulnerable areas of the house in relation to safety and potential home invasions is the garage door. Some close friends of mine got invaded after pulling into their garage. All it took was the garage door being open for 20 seconds for two armed thugs to make it into their house. Maybe making sure that area is close to flood-lit with a motion sensor would help. These folks never saw it coming.

I agree with the post about Facebooking and tweeting your whereabouts when out of town. Good advice-- I will now have to refrain from posting things such as "I just found the best taco stand ever" on my LBB overnights.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back