• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question About Family Safety While You're Gone

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Years ago some gangbanger punk broke into my neighbor's townhouse a few doors down, and had a rather unfortunate encounter with a 100 pound Rottweiler named Lars.

Steal an alarm sign from your neighbor?

Yeah, a bit funny. In a thread about protecting your family and home from crime, the suggestion is to commit a crime on your neighbors home.

Bad idea with kids in the house, perhaps the shotgun with birdshot in it would be the way to go. The thing to remember about a gun, besides being potentially lethal to kids in the house, is if there is a breakin and a wife home alone does have a gun, she has to be prepared to use it effectively , there is no guaranty the bad guy won't get it from her. It's essentially throwing a gun into a her vs. the intruder(s) contest with the victor getting the gun.

Typical liberal anti-gun BS. Yes there is a chance that the bad guy can get the gun. The way we see it, without a gun the odds are zero that she can defend herself.

BTW, the Glock is in a gun vault under the bed. You would have to be awake enough to unlock it to get to the handgun.

My wife is trained and very proficient in handling a gun. She has a CCW permit and carries on a daily basis. Frankly, I would not mess with my wife. She, and I, are perfectly willing to use the gun to defend our home and our family.

Last edited:
I'm assuming if you employ a firearm as part of your home defense plan, you are actually committed to killing another human being. It is essential to know what you're getting into as far as local laws, responsibilities and possible consequences (justified or not) of using lethal force. You need to have a general plan regarding safe rooms, communications, lighting, trajectories/over-penetration, legal help afterward, etc. A good defensive firearms course covers this and is a must for all who have access to said weapons. The U.S. Concealed Carry Assn. is an excellent source for information as well as links to various reputable training academies.

Yo Tweaker. I have some #5 buckshot for Pheasants. Are you saying they don't make it anymore? Good call on that new home defense ammo. I had forgotten about that.

I'll wager that it's buckshot? I have never seen that referenced and certainly not on an online catalog for purchase. It has occurred to me that I may not possess complete knowledge about this and a great deal of other topics.

Buckshot is actually rarely used for deer hunting (bucks), as it can really tear up the meat and make a damnable mess for field dressing. Ineresting?

No one has mentioned this, so I will. Especially for a solitary female, but still the best practice for a man, in the event of a suspected home invasion, do not go hunting them down! You have many disadvantages even in your own home. A team with many weeks of training together is the only feasible way to do a home sweep, as the complexities and variables are just to great. Men, do yourself a favor and just do what the ladies should do. Sit tight in the most secure location and cover the entrance. Await law enforcement and make them aware of your location and your weaponry at the ready. It is hard for a man to accept, but this is the advice of those who train professionally.

Get a solid core master bedroom door, deadbolt that thing and prepare a nasty surprise for someone fool enough to come messin' with your mamma grizzly!

Nothing against guns, I own quite a few, but there is a high probability of the Ms. actually shooting you. Turn gets canceled and you show up unexpected at 3am.
I suggest the dog. My Bullmastiff is 160lbs. He is great with kids and a increadible judge of character. Anyone trying to break into our house will most likely lose a limb.

There are 200 homes on my subdivision. Every neighbor knows where the 90 pound Doberman lives. You can't get within 50 of my house without my wife knowing it. If you get past the Doberman. The wife is well versed in the use of the Mossberg 500.

I don't like the motion lights. When an animal walks by the driveway the lights come on. We always leave the front porch light on. That way you can look out any window and see who is at your front door.

Our German Shepherd has great protective instincts. He knows when people are walking down the street, 2 houses down. He's a great protector and friend.

Also, you can't teach your shotgun to fetch cans of beer from the fridge!

Latest resources

Back