Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

your_dreamguy

Hello Brothers and Sisters,

I live in a good and somewhat affluent neighborhood, so to speak. I just found out from my neighbor that someone tried to break in her home at around 11.30 PM last night, i.e. attempted night time home invasion. The potential intruder didn't succeed. The police were called, they didn't find the alleged suspect but a police report was filed.

Our neighborhood is a bit shook up. In addition to my neighbor, some of the surrounding homes have been broken into. There are some vacant foreclosures and we think criminals are going to the foreclosures, posing as potential buyers, landscapers, utility workers, etc. and are then jumping the backyard fences to adjacent properties and breaking into those properties.

So, I am a bit worried leaving for my trips because I'm worried for my wife and kids. Does anyone have any suggestions? What do you do when your away for your trips?

Please no smartA$$ remarks.

Thx.

No smart as$ answers necessary.

What state do you live in? Look at Castle laws for your particular state.

Too many effin psychotics in America for too many reasons. Mental insanity, job loss, poverty, crime of opportunity, tough economy, you name it. I don't give a sheet what reasons someone has. They have NO right to break into my home with the intent of stealing from me, hurting/killing me, and/or my hurting/killing/raping my wife.

I've been raised by a responsible father who taught me to use both his handgun (a Ruger) and his shotgun (Remington). I'm comfortable with guns. Currently looking for a personal protection weapon (leaning towards Airline pilot discounts deals with H&K Compact LEM and Kahr weapons). My wife has never used a gun, but I will teach her responsibly. Learn, and learn it well.

And for those you naysayers who think this will will never happen to you, please wake up. Look in past history with mass shooting sprees. Virginia Tech shooter. The Amish school shoooter in Pennsylvania, the Omaha mall shooting, Columbine, etc. etc. etc. You know what all of them had in common? The rampage ended only, and ONLY when the gunman decided to turn the gun on himself. No police shot any of these mass murderers. By the time police get there and attempt a rescue attempt, it is already too late.

....don't let it be too late for you. Be responsible, be safe.

If you are comfortable with guns there is NO BETTER home defense weapon than a shotgun. 1st 2 rounds fired are birdshot, 3rd and 4th are buckshot, 5th on up are slugs.

By the time the second shot is fired your boys are either on the carpet or long gone plus the birdshot will not ricochet throughout your house - namely your kids rooms.

Gup

Of course, if you back it up a bit, sometime prior to the shootout..

1. Start a neighborhood watch.
2. Install motion activated outdoor lights and outdoor/indoor security cameras. Electronics stores have these.
3. Get a security system.
4. Then get a gun and make sure the young kids can't access it. Older kids can learn how to use it but be sure to restrict access.

Of course, before you go cowboy make sure it's not just your drunk brother-in-law looking for a spot on the couch...

Be safe!

Criminals hate noise and attention. A dog can be a great deterrent. Even a little yippee ankle biter is noisy but i would recommend a larger breed. There are rescue operations that do a great job of screening the dogs for bad traits and they are usually house broken from their foster family. Look at the Akita and obviously the German Shepard. It may cost a little money to adopt but between a dog and a wife trained to use a shotgun I sleep pretty well at night and I am on day 23 of this trip. Far more days out in a row than most work. The weapons training is more important than anything else by far if you decide to go that route and firearms are not for everyone. One must possess the will and the mindset for a firearm to be an option. In the defense of her children my wife seems to possess both.

Good Luck with a problem we all have had to deal with.

My German Shepherd works nicely. Alot of responsibility, time and effort, but worth every hour and penny.

Noisy dogs and a shotgun - just tell the wife to aim above the dogs. The sound of someone in the dark racking a shotgun is generally enough to send any burglar running, but my wife can't be counted on to operate machinery when under stress. I have a 20ga side by side loaded with buckshot shells that she has been instructed in the use of and, after a few scary moments while living in an under-populated off-season resort area, is willing to use.

Having a choke point barricade near any sleeping rooms is a good line of defense. I live in a Chicago bungalow that has a really noisy, narrow stairway to the second floor bedrooms and requires any invader to make a blind 90 degree turn into the upstairs hallway. There they would be backlit and the wife in almost complete darkness.

Agree on the dog and the shotgun, but make sure the bride is comfortable with a gun. Take her to the range or better yet, get her in a firearms safety course. The NRA has some great courses, especially for women.

Best home defense, dogs that bark. German Shepard, German Short hair, Doberman Pincher (see a trend). Small dog? Pomeranian, Some Chiwawa's (-sp).

Nothing is better than a dog, period. Back it up with firearms and a speed dial on 911.

Latest resources

Back