• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question About Family Safety While You're Gone

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I believe in a layered defense. Lots of motion lights, security sign at least, Dog. Serious solid door with good deadbolt.

Best advise I ever heard was to install a solid wood door as your bedroom door and a put a good deadbolt on it.

This is my wife's plan if I'm out of town.

BTW this plan only works if you don't have kids:

If you hear somebody in the house DON'T LEAVE THE BEDROOM!" Call 911 on your landline and advise them you are in the northeast corner bedroom and you have a gun. Don't hang up but do throw the phone handset on the bed to "hear" the following events.

Open a window and fire a 12 Gauge round into the ground. You just let the intruder know:
1)You are awake and know about him
2) You have a loaded shotgun in the house

You just elevated the 911 call from "possible" intruder to "shots fired"

You'll never have to confront any scumbags. The intruder WILL leave.... no doubt in my mind. If he doesn't he will have a hard time getting into the bedroom. If he does NO JURY in the world would convict you for shooting him.

Doesn't work so well if you are sitting in the living room.

I heard about this from a home defense expert. What flaws do you see?

Last edited:
Nothing against guns, I own quite a few, but there is a high probability of the Ms. actually shooting you. Turn gets canceled and you show up unexpected at 3am.
I suggest the dog. My Bullmastiff is 160lbs. He is great with kids and a increadible judge of character. Anyone trying to break into our house will most likely lose a limb.

This is where a phone might come in really handy.

I love all the pro gun people here thumping their chest- I'm all for preparedness but you guys don't sound like you want to be just prepared- it's your soap opera trying to figure all the different scenarios- you replay them over and over like a kid shooting hoops in his driveway counting down a game clock- it's crystal clear most of you have never seen a body and blood - and I'd bet half of you at least can't run worth a damn much less defend yourself--

so take the drama out-
1- good loud dog guarantee they're more aware in their sleep than any of us or an alarm-
2- dumb not to have a monitored alarm w/ cameras- this stuff is cheap compared to just 10 years ago
3- self defense and physical fitness- you will have a hard time calming yourself and doing much of anything if it's a struggle just to jog or do a situp and pushup- much less being aware enough to put a gun in the mix-
4- awareness is your biggest protector- get your neighbors in on it and have all of you look out for each other- find family or friends you trust that canstop by and check up- a real criminal will stake you out and if there is a flow of people popping in at random times they will move on to easier targets

love the car alarm idea- I still do this in all kinds of situations-

those are prerequisites before a gun
then if you still want it- hit up your NRA training for every person of age in the home- you take the ffdo course bc you can and take every course available-

Just don't trivialize how killing a person will affect you- it's no chest thumping experience and one you don't want to screw up- anyone that tells you otherwise doesn't know what they are talking about

any current or past cops weigh in yet?

We have had attempted break ins and some casing type activity in our s/d the last few months.

BIG dog and shotguns. alarm system is nice to wake you up but the "event" will be over by the time the sheriffs arrive. make a plan for night time invasions ie: where the kids go, password etc etc.. have a safe room for them to go into and STAY until you come for them. You dont want the kids running around a dark house when you have potential intruders.

still a bit nervous when I'm on trips but I know my family is prepared if something bad does happen.

If you can bid daylines you'd be home at night, though we have had two seperate incidents lately during daylight hours as well.

people are getting desperate.

I love all the pro gun people here thumping their chest- I'm all for preparedness but you guys don't sound like you want to be just prepared- it's your soap opera trying to figure all the different scenarios- you replay them over and over like a kid shooting hoops in his driveway counting down a game clock- it's crystal clear most of you have never seen a body and blood - and I'd bet half of you at least can't run worth a damn much less defend yourself--

so take the drama out-
1- good loud dog guarantee they're more aware in their sleep than any of us or an alarm-
2- dumb not to have a monitored alarm w/ cameras- this stuff is cheap compared to just 10 years ago
3- self defense and physical fitness- you will have a hard time calming yourself and doing much of anything if it's a struggle just to jog or do a situp and pushup- much less being aware enough to put a gun in the mix-
4- awareness is your biggest protector- get your neighbors in on it and have all of you look out for each other- find family or friends you trust that canstop by and check up- a real criminal will stake you out and if there is a flow of people popping in at random times they will move on to easier targets

then if you still want it- hit up your NRA training for every person of age in the home- you take the ffdo course bc you can and take every course available-

Just don't trivialize how killing a person will affect you- it's no chest thumping experience and one you don't want to screw up- anyone that tells you otherwise doesn't know what they are talking about

Lol. I had a teenager try to rob me with a pocket knife a few years ago. When he did it, I might have had a few drinks in me. As soon as he pulled the knife, I raised my voice and went after him. He turned around and ran away as fast as he could. Looking back that was probably a really dumb move on my part. I don't think the thought of me attacking him back ever crossed his mind.

so take the drama out-

Dude, can you ever make a post without being condescending? And by your post I take it that you're not a "pro-gun person." What's the old saying? Lincoln made all men free, Samuel Colt made them equal. This is a thread that puts ideas out there to consider, not a thread to have dad tell people what to do.

True enough- that post did sound sanctimonious- apologies-
No- I'm pro gun- surprised?
:)
Many of the posts just seem out of order- you should do all of those things- like the previous poster- a layered approach-
The gun is simply the last of many things- I personally find that self defense with a gun is not that useful if you haven't had self defense training incorporated-
A gun doesn't make you equal automatically- you can be a serious danger to yourself and your family if you don't know what you are doing-
Sorry- but I think basic fitness and ability to carry yourself should come first

Nice post above about solid doors and locks and firing the gun in a safe direction so the intruder knows your there-

Many of the posts just seem out of order- you should do all of those things- like the previous poster- a layered approach-
The gun is simply the last of many things- I personally find that self defense with a gun is not that useful if you haven't had self defense training incorporated-
A gun doesn't make you equal automatically- you can be a serious danger to yourself and your family if you don't know what you are doing-
Sorry- but I think basic fitness and ability to carry yourself should come first

Nice post above about solid doors and locks and firing the gun in a safe direction so the intruder knows your there-

I agree completely with you. You simply cant cover all this stuff on a message board.

I don't think a solution to home security is buying a .38 and keeping it on the nightstand.

I am pro gun but I do believe you are more likely to have an accident with the gun than be a victim of crime if everybody in the house (adults) are not trained and proficient.

I have a friend who killed someone in self defense. It was a 100% "clean" shoot and the guy was a scumbag, but my friend still has problems dealing with it. He no longer carries a gun because of it. So yeah, you don't wanna go there. No chest thumping here.

I still think #1 priority is really solid doors and locks. There is no reason why you should wake up startled with someone standing at the foot of your bed as you grab your .38. That should only happen in movies.

big dog, big gun.

My German Shepherd works nicely. Alot of responsibility, time and effort, but worth every hour and penny.

exactly. an intruder would rather deal with me and a gun than with my gsd.

I forgot, another factor to consider if you are thinking about guns, if the intruder(s) are armed, it could mean a shoot out. No guaranty your wife would win.

a lot better odds than if only the bad guy is armed.

I believe in a layered defense. Lots of motion lights, security sign at least, Dog. Serious solid door with good deadbolt.

Best advise I ever heard was to install a solid wood door as your bedroom door and a put a good deadbolt on it.

This is my wife's plan if I'm out of town.

BTW this plan only works if you don't have kids:

If you hear somebody in the house DON'T LEAVE THE BEDROOM!" Call 911 on your landline and advise them you are in the northeast corner bedroom and you have a gun. Don't hang up but do throw the phone handset on the bed to "hear" the following events.

Open a window and fire a 12 Gauge round into the ground. You just let the intruder know:
1)You are awake and know about him
2) You have a loaded shotgun in the house

You just elevated the 911 call from "possible" intruder to "shots fired"

You'll never have to confront any scumbags. The intruder WILL leave.... no doubt in my mind. If he doesn't he will have a hard time getting into the bedroom. If he does NO JURY in the world would convict you for shooting him.

Doesn't work so well if you are sitting in the living room.

I heard about this from a home defense expert. What flaws do you see?

I freaking love this post.

Latest resources

Back