Q's about Kalitta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

linecheck

I was wondering if any Kalitta pilots could answer a couple questions if you have time. I've done a bit of research on your new contract, and it seems pretty good.

Do you guys view Kalitta as a long term place to hang your hat? Does Kalitta have a growth strategy that you feel confident in? How have management/ pilot relations been lately?

With your monthly schedule, is the company good about getting you home on your last day? When you're on the road, do you know where, and when you're going for that period of time? Or is it like a fractional, where you don't know what the next day will bring. How's reserve for the junior guys?

I'm wondering, what are the hiring plans for 2008?

Thanks for the help. All the best.

LC

Which Kalitta? Kalitta Air (747), Charters II (727), Charters (Lears)?

Kalitta Air is hirng, they are expereincing turnover with major recalls. A good part of their flying is war related. How long will that go on?

If you can handle the 17 days out, you can stay awhile and make 6 figures easily.

You bid for a line of flying like any other airline, you can do reserve like any other place.

I get home on time or early most months. But like every other airline, scheduling dept, is just that.

More airplanes coming. They are in pretty good shape

I think we have the best schedule of most of the 747 operators. Just remember, there always the good, bad, ugly.

Thanks Lr,

The time away doesn't bother me so much, so long as there's a good stretch at home.

When you bid your line, does the line (with your 17 day stretch) include both hard trips and reserve days?

For instance, could you fly to HNL, and then sit on reserve there for 3 days? Or could you sit reserve a few days at home before leaving for a trip? Just tryin' to get a feel for life on the road, and how tough the schedules are.

I noticed on the Kalitta Air website under "schedule" that there are many offices all over the world. Are those locations that you would routinely fly to? For instance, Hamburg, Germany?

Again, many thanks for the info.

All the best,

LC

yes to most of your questions. It is possible at a slower time to sit at home before you actually receive a flight assignment. Most of the time the send you to either EWR or JFK for example and keep you in the hotels there. You are getting per diem during this time. You would normally call in every day to check in for an assignment. a hard line may contain reserve days. since I don't have one. someone else will have to chime in on issues with that.
A typical assignment would be EWR to Leige sit for a day or two then fly to Bahrain, sit for a day, fly to Hong Kong empty, sit for a couple days, the fly to PANC via Khaborask, or Sapporo.
Once you get to any of these destinations, it completely changes. except PANC, you are on your way to the lower 48.

some one else may have some good info....please

Kalitta is an easy gig, other than the 17 days. But the 13/14 days home are nice, and where else in our industry could you be in the left seat of a heavy in 1 1/2-2 years?

Im not a company cheerleader by any means, but there are worst places to be. We have had furloughed guys quit there jobs when they got recalled, soooooo.

But, if you have a family, the 17 days can get kind of long, so just make sure if you do come here, know that the new car smell WILL wear off and there youll be.

Its a good time to get on, we are short crews, and a quick upgrade will soon follow, most likely.

Last edited:
Don't expect to sit at home on reserve, it may happen once in awhile-figure on being gone for the whole bid period. It can be hard especially if you have little ones at home. Most destinations are the same Amsterdam and Lax also. Sometimes pop-up trips which can be interesting.
Hard lines are not supposed to have reserve days they are called layover days in the new contract and you must call in once every 24 hours. You do often sit for 2 or 3 days at the outside stations.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. Much appreciated.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm wondering if the fast upgrade is based on growth, or attrition. If age 60 changes sometime in 2009, how do you think the movement will be?

Do you think senior management's vision is to grow a viable, long-term cargo operation to the likes of Atlas/Polar? (If that's a good comparison)

Lastly, someone said a lot of Kalitta Air's revenue is driven by government contracts. How secure and stable would you say these contracts are? Just tryin' to understand the stability of the business..

Thanks again.

All the best,
LC

Latest resources

Back