• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Q's about Kalitta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
oh i put my stuff in, that is the reply i got...I'm obviously not going to get any jet time anytime soon, just more part 121 turboprop pic time for now...soo suggestions?

Hi!

If they're going to pay me good for hauling rubber dog ********************, I say "LOAD 'ER UP"!!!

Blackberries, car parts, Super Bowl t-shirts, Dell parts, speaker magnets, NetJets engines, dolphins, NCAA teams, Shakira, Obama and Romney...we haul 'em all!

cliff
GRB

The 17 days a month thing may not be for everyone, but neither is commuting every couple of days, either. Personally, I hate commuting. If I can do that twice a month, once out, once back...good deal.

Personally, seventeen days at a crack gone from home...the shortest time I've been away for work...seventeen days...good deal.

See it works both ways. What works for one person may not work for another, but what you don't like may fit my needs just fine. And so on, and so on.

The operator may not be the highest paying player on the field. The operator may not fly the newest equipment. The operator may have unusual hours or schedules. The operator may not be the most prestigious. However, that operator may be just the ticket for one pilot, and to that pilot, more power to you.

If it's not your cup of tea, don't worry about it. There are more than enough pilots who like the flavor.

Guys, if you fly international with 2 pilots and one additional crew member (flight engineer) you can fly 12 hrs a day with an unlimited duty day. No heavy crew needed for this one. The outfit I fly for has a 16 hr duty limit per union contract, but can be extended to 18 hrs for unforseen circumstances. 12 hrs flying in a 18hr dutyday is pretty common. If one leg is empty, everything goes overboard. 13-14 flight hours in a 18hr day are not out of the norm when part 91 flying is involved.
One of the best investments I've made over the last year is a mp3 player. That way I can keep my eyes open in the middle of the night over the ocean or dark africa when everyone else is scanning the overhead. With the idiosynchrasys (sp?) of scheduling you might find yourself up for 30 to 35 hr periods. That to me is the hardest part of the job. Being 17 days gone is not easy, 34 is harder. If you have an understanding family it's doable. Two weeks at home without taking vacation days is not bad. A little creative scheduling and you are home almost a month. Throw in 2 weeks vacation and you don't see a plane for 6 weeks.
I'm happy to be home based and get a lousy ticket to far away places when I see guys standing at the counter begging for a ride after 4 days work, be home one day and spend another day trying to make it back to their crash pad.
Crewmeals: since when is it SOP to bring your own lunchbox for a 4 day trip with the occasional stampede to the food court if time allows? On flights over 2.5 hrs we get catering, sad part is, not some over 65 flight attendant will heat it for us. We still have to do that ourselves. No problem, good chance to stretch your legs.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back