• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

QOL at Redwood

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No worries Bill, we're just here to drink your beer and shag your women. You can keep flying your ratty old jets. :laugh:

never seen a redwood pilot-what is the black uniform you speak of? They wear black shirts?

A free laptop WOW, Is that how you justify working for half the pay of Southwest? If you made a real wage you could go buy the laptop on your own.

Clearly, if any of us had a choice, most of us would have taken a class at Southwest over a class at VX. But that's not really what's going on here, is it? We took the job we could get. Most of us are very happy with our position, me included. Now go punch yourself in the face.

To the OP:

Life is good, hiring about 16/mo for at least the next two years. Junior CA at end of announced expansion has yet to be hired. Made net profit 3rd quarter and CEO still says operating profit for full year. Clean planes, very few MELs, good hotels, good productive trips, mostly transcons. Junior line holders getting over 15 off a month. I don't do reserve but understand the late show on day one and early out on day last is still being used. Reserve is around 2 to 3 months for new hires and upgrades.

Yes, we do wear black shirts, no ties, no hats, black leather jackets. No flight bags (EFBs), company supplied uniforms and luggage. Yes again, we are going to test out the google chrome netbook for a year but not for anything crew related. Just a freebie related to our google tie in.

A free laptop WOW, Is that how you justify working for half the pay of Southwest? If you made a real wage you could go buy the laptop on your own.

Amazing, Virgin is doing just what SWA did not that long ago. They are an upstart and they are paying upstart wages. SWA got its foot in the door paying wages WAY below industry standard, they required a type to get hired to save money along with substandard retirement benefits. SWA pilots flew more than most and earned much less.
I'm not a SWA basher by any means, it's called business and it's how the world works. They competed and it paid off well. Now it appears VA is doing the same thing, it seems to me the traveling public loves them and they are doing a very good job. I suspect they will be very successful, they offer a good product.

The free google laptops do not even have hard drives in them. It has to have an internet connection to work for the most part.

The free google laptops do not even have hard drives in them. It has to have an internet connection to work for the most part.

....and now you have to pay federal income tax on them...you'd get a better deal writing VA a check to keep the dang thing...;)

Amazing, Virgin is doing just what SWA did not that long ago. They are an upstart and they are paying upstart wages. SWA got its foot in the door paying wages WAY below industry standard, they required a type to get hired to save money along with substandard retirement benefits. SWA pilots flew more than most and earned much less.
I'm not a SWA basher by any means, it's called business and it's how the world works. They competed and it paid off well. Now it appears VA is doing the same thing, it seems to me the traveling public loves them and they are doing a very good job. I suspect they will be very successful, they offer a good product.

It's true! I was talking with a couple of SWA pilots and one mentioned that when he started 10-15 years ago the starting wage was like 29 bucks and hour. Ouch! But now they're the coveted place to go. We are such a fickle group, really....

....and now you have to pay federal income tax on them...you'd get a better deal writing VA a check to keep the dang thing...;)

Already taken care of. VA is absorbing the tax liability and Google is fronting the laptops. Well, they call it a laptop. It is really a netbook. It does have a USB port so hopefully it will have some functionality off the net. We do get free internet at all of our hotels and terminals plus for the commuters there is the Gogo internet on the planes if you are so inclined.

Google is giving every Redwood employee free laptops for Christmas. Has that ever happened at Southwest or United? We may not be loved in this forum, but does that really matter? Twice last week, while in uniform, I was stopped by strangers. "OMG, you're a Virgin America employee! You guys are the best! I fly you every time I can!"

You guys look like waiters in those black uniforms. Are you sure the strangers didn't ask for more water or extra bread?

Latest resources

Back