• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PVD closed: Aircraft slid off runway

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I heard a few days ago that it was an unstabilized approach that resulted in an almost uncontrollable landing. Runway contamination had little to do with this.

Just had a quick question, the runway incursion was just recently with United???? Because I thought PVD was a ASDE airport???? Tower not using the ground radar or something?

When I went through new-hire training at my first airline in March of 2001 we watched a video about the PVD incident.

Talked to a whiskey captain and he was told the FO flew an unstabilized approach, at a few hundo the captain took over, then tried to save the landing. Hit the ground at 1600fpm (hearsay) and that may have collapsed the gear. The weather was not that bad and the runway had good braking.

I'm no expert, but 1600 fpm sounds a little much. I think that would have done more then just collapse the gear.

I'm no expert, but 1600 fpm sounds a little much. I think that would have done more then just collapse the gear.

Yea did'nt the suiox city aircraft (DC-10) hit he ground at 1000 fpm? Look what happened to that.

Talked to a whiskey captain and he was told the FO flew an unstabilized approach, at a few hundo the captain took over, then tried to save the landing. Hit the ground at 1600fpm (hearsay) and that may have collapsed the gear. The weather was not that bad and the runway had good braking.

Yep, heard that the PF was a low time FO on probation. Didn't hear that the CA took over as PF though. The CA would've had while the GPWS was saying 'sink rate sink rate pull up' in IMC inside the FAF. If they had a strong quartering XW at ALT shearing to a basically calm wind on the ground (reported) wouldn't that set up the possibility of getting misaligned with the RWY and high? I think so.

This accident is going to be another wake up call to regional crews everywhere: GPWS 'sink rate' calls in IMC or an unstabilized approach down low means go around; CA's exercise your PIC perogative and fly the plane if you're not completely confident in your FO.

This accident is going to be another wake up call to regional crews everywhere: GPWS 'sink rate' calls in IMC or an unstabilized approach down low means go around; CA's exercise your PIC perogative and fly the plane if you're not completely confident in your FO.

I think you are gonna see more of this with 200-400hr pilots getting hired at the regionals.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back