• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PVD closed: Aircraft slid off runway

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Whether we like it or not, 300 hour FO's are going to continue, for the forseable future at least, to be hired by the regionals.

Age isn't really the problem, however the vast majority of us are "Type A" personalities and with that I think having a bit of an ego is natural. The difference as far as being a bit older is concerned, is that as each year goes by, you realize a little bit more clearly that you're not quite as bullet proof as you think you are when you in your early 20's and full of enthusiasm. With experience, I'd like to think comes a bit more caution and a higher sense of self preservation. At least that's what I have found.

Having said that, if anything AWAC's training has become harder and even a bit more ruthless as the new-hire TT's have decreased. The training dept doesn't seem to be shy about canning someone who's not performing, regardless of whether it's during indoc or by the time they reach the sims. If you have a good attitude, they'll work with you but they have their standards.

As far as I've seen this has been borne out by the new FO's I've been flying with. I've been amazed at just how well they actually fly the RJ. Generally they've taken advice well and asked nothing but insightful and intelligent questions. Sure there's the odd one who turns up with 3.5 stripes and bit of a chip but this profession has a way of humbling you, just when you think you've got it nailed.

The details about the PVD episode will be out soon enough but if what I've heard, from pretty reliable sources, is true. It'll make all of us shake our heads in dis-belief.

Be careful and fly safe

Age isn't really the problem, however the vast majority of us are "Type A" personalities and with that I think having a bit of an ego is natural. The difference as far as being a bit older is concerned, is that as each year goes by, you realize a little bit more clearly that you're not quite as bullet proof as you think you are when you in your early 20's and full of enthusiasm. With experience, I'd like to think comes a bit more caution and a higher sense of self preservation. At least that's what I have found.

Be careful and fly safe

Bingo!

Latest resources

Back