• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PVD closed: Aircraft slid off runway

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As a witness to the aftermath....I flew into PVD as they were loading the plane on the cranes. Make no mistake about it we had 20+ knoks at 100 ft, it was nasty in the Northeast the last couple days. It looked to me as we were taxing down taxi C that the left gear collapsed about 4000 feet down the runway just before TWY C. Just glad that noone got hurt. Number # 4 for a CRJ in the same month.

Any one got a link to the runway incursion a few years back with FedEx, USair, United in PVD...

Classic line from USAir: "We aren't going anywhere till United is at the gate"

The controller was a space cadet...

That clip is one of the reasons I put my foot down to people sometimes. I have mechanics tell me "its ok to fly", I've had controllers confuse company traffic and try to cut me in from of the other company...all while telling them they are talking to the wrong aircraft. "No I'm not!" Then followed by a return to a base them telling me to call the tower and appolgizing because the controller had a bad day. For which I said, just remember us pilots have bad days too so remember that.

That controller should have been fired, her behavior was completely unacceptable. If in doubt just stop everything even if it is a inconvience.

Just had a quick question, the runway incursion was just recently with United???? Because I thought PVD was a ASDE airport???? Tower not using the ground radar or something?

OT here, but I think that incursion has to be quite old. There hasn't been a 5L/23R at PVD in forever, and the taxiway (Bravo) they made the wrong turn onto no longer meets 5R/23L at the intersection with 16. And there is no taxiway Kilo.

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0712/00333AD.PDF

Still a great example of rational thinking (USAir) preventing a possible huge catastrophe.

yes it is old. In fact PVD became the poster child of improvements meant to reduce incursions. Better signage, ground survailance radar, redesign of taxiways/runways and training for ATC.

Latest resources

Back