Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

buckdanny

US Airways laying off workers in Philadelphia

Thursday July 7, 2:01 pm ET US Airways Group Inc. is laying off nearly 90 people from its regional airline operations at Philadelphia International Airport. US Airways (OTCBB: USAIRQ - News) told the Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry in a letter dated June 29 that its PSA Airlines subsidiary was laying off 59 pilots and 29 flight attendants from its Philadelphia operations. One non-unionized employee is also being laid off.

[size=-2][/size]The layoff are scheduled to take place Sept. 1. In its letter to the state, US Airways said the pilots and flight attendants would have the right to bid for open positions in the company, based on seniority.

PSA is a regional airline that US Airways runs that originally flew out of Latrobe, Pa. It operates 35 aircraft and has 220 daily flights to 30 cities.

The PSA Web site says it opened a new crew base in Philadelphia in April 2004, just months before US Airways filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

US Airways is now in the process of streamlining operations and merging with America West Airlines.

Despite reductions, US Airways is still the dominant carrier from Pittsburgh International Airport and regards Pittsburgh as a focus city.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/050707/1130079.html?.v=1

If this is happening for real, best of luck to all those involved.

Buck

I think this is already known and I dont think they are actual furloughs in the traditional sense, but displacements. Sept 1 is the date that our PHL base is closing to us and opening to AWAC. Also if you read in the article it mentions that these people will be able to bid to other positions in the company based on senority. Some are coming to CLT and other are going to DAY. I think this is just the media blowing this out of proportion.

mamba20 said:
I think this is just the media blowing this out of proportion.

Yeah, and that hardly ever happens :)

No actual furloughs......just displacements to CLT and DAY. Some people are leaving, though, because they don't want to commute.

PSA? Yes as far as I know. I hear the hiring dept. is gearing up for some significant hiring. But that could just be hearsay.

Thanks for the heads up guys, when I read that article I couldn't believe it! I was talking to a PSA pilot afterwards who said they probably mean a displacement. Nice way for the media to put it in such a dramatic way!

Buck

Latest resources

Back