PSA to furlough!?

buckdanny

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 25, 2002
Posts
297
Total Time
8000
US Airways laying off workers in Philadelphia

Thursday July 7, 2:01 pm ET US Airways Group Inc. is laying off nearly 90 people from its regional airline operations at Philadelphia International Airport. US Airways (OTCBB: USAIRQ - News) told the Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry in a letter dated June 29 that its PSA Airlines subsidiary was laying off 59 pilots and 29 flight attendants from its Philadelphia operations. One non-unionized employee is also being laid off.

[size=-2][/size]The layoff are scheduled to take place Sept. 1. In its letter to the state, US Airways said the pilots and flight attendants would have the right to bid for open positions in the company, based on seniority.

PSA is a regional airline that US Airways runs that originally flew out of Latrobe, Pa. It operates 35 aircraft and has 220 daily flights to 30 cities.

The PSA Web site says it opened a new crew base in Philadelphia in April 2004, just months before US Airways filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

US Airways is now in the process of streamlining operations and merging with America West Airlines.

Despite reductions, US Airways is still the dominant carrier from Pittsburgh International Airport and regards Pittsburgh as a focus city.





http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/050707/1130079.html?.v=1



If this is happening for real, best of luck to all those involved.


Buck
 

dollacrackho

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 19, 2004
Posts
558
Total Time
30
psa chiefpilots want to chime in on this one ? some distressing articles to say the least.
 

mamba20

Do what now?
Joined
Nov 27, 2004
Posts
1,030
Total Time
000000
I think this is already known and I dont think they are actual furloughs in the traditional sense, but displacements. Sept 1 is the date that our PHL base is closing to us and opening to AWAC. Also if you read in the article it mentions that these people will be able to bid to other positions in the company based on senority. Some are coming to CLT and other are going to DAY. I think this is just the media blowing this out of proportion.
 

BeCareful!

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 21, 2004
Posts
809
Total Time
10,000
mamba20 said:
I think this is just the media blowing this out of proportion.



Yeah, and that hardly ever happens :)


No actual furloughs......just displacements to CLT and DAY. Some people are leaving, though, because they don't want to commute.
 

LearLove

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 27, 2001
Posts
4,451
Total Time
12000+
They mean MDA. Guess I'm one of the 59 pilots. O well, time for the unemployment line.
 

mamba20

Do what now?
Joined
Nov 27, 2004
Posts
1,030
Total Time
000000
PSA? Yes as far as I know. I hear the hiring dept. is gearing up for some significant hiring. But that could just be hearsay.
 

buckdanny

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 25, 2002
Posts
297
Total Time
8000
Thanks for the heads up guys, when I read that article I couldn't believe it! I was talking to a PSA pilot afterwards who said they probably mean a displacement. Nice way for the media to put it in such a dramatic way!

Buck
 

spitfire1500

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 8, 2005
Posts
836
Total Time
Enough
"They have the right to bid for open positions".....this sounds like a displacement not a furlough.
 

PSAChiefPilots

Well-known member
Joined
May 20, 2005
Posts
272
Total Time
>1000
Furlough?!?!?

No, this is not a furlough. PHL domicile closed, All FA's were offered pref. hiring at Air Wisc. or transfer to another base...All pilots were assigned to one of the other domiciles. The one "non Union Employee" was my old Ops Coord., She is from PHL and has a daughter and Family, She was offered a position elsewhere but declined. Air Wisc. would be wise to hire her...She could help with any problems that may need to be handled!

When Air Wisc. gets there, they'll understand.
PSACPSP

THE MEDIA NEVER BLOWS ANYTHING OUT OF PROPORTION! I BELIEVE EVERYTHING I READ THERE.

dollacrackho said:
psa chiefpilots want to chime in on this one ? some distressing articles to say the least.
 

38tango

Flap Operator
Joined
Jan 8, 2003
Posts
107
Total Time
8500
These are just displacements from PHL closing as a crew base. PSA is still hiring...heard rumors (yes, rumors not announcements) that a bunch of hiring is about to happen. Regardless...put your damn resume in if you have the time, what have you got to lose? It's a great company to work for! FWIW
 

Beer&Brauts

This is Oklahoma Football
Joined
Jan 17, 2002
Posts
202
Total Time
Enough
PSAChiefPilots said:
The one "non Union Employee" was my old Ops Coord., She is from PHL and has a daughter and Family, She was offered a position elsewhere but declined. Air Wisc. would be wise to hire her...She could help with any problems that may need to be handled!

When Air Wisc. gets there, they'll understand.

Is she competent and does she speak coherent English? Does she know how to operate a radio?
If so we won't be interested. As anyone who has dealt with our ops in ORD or IAD can attest, we'd much rather hire minimum wage McDonald's rejects!
 

Beechnut

Ndugu's Foster Dad
Joined
Nov 27, 2001
Posts
714
Total Time
1+
"Aircwaft call'n Chacago, Wha choo Want!?"


So tell us newbies to Philly stories. Is it really so bad for delays?
I didn't mind bumping Mesa out at all, but I am sorry this has caused problems and moves to PSA folks.

S.
 

328dude

Still turning two
Joined
Nov 26, 2001
Posts
1,647
Total Time
??????
Beechnut said:
"Aircwaft call'n Chacago, Wha choo Want!?"


So tell us newbies to Philly stories. Is it really so bad for delays?
I didn't mind bumping Mesa out at all, but I am sorry this has caused problems and moves to PSA folks.

S.


Is Philly Bad? My friend, you can have PHL. Just yesterday, they were lined up 57 deep. 2 hours on the taxiway before they finally cancelled us.

It's also a Snoop Dog Convention on the ramp also.
 

buckdanny

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 25, 2002
Posts
297
Total Time
8000
Beechnut said:
"Aircwaft call'n Chacago, Wha choo Want!?"


So tell us newbies to Philly stories. Is it really so bad for delays?
I didn't mind bumping Mesa out at all, but I am sorry this has caused problems and moves to PSA folks.

I am Mesa (but not for much longer) and Philly really is that bad. Not only delays but cancelations too. in the last 5 weeks I had at least one or two cancelled turns. Last night it took 2 hours to reach the runway for take off. 4 weeks ago by day 3 on a 4 days trip we had logged 18 hours block and spent 6.5 in the air. A return to the gate can take 2 hours (one hour to make your way back towards the terminal and another hour to wait for a gate). 4 weeks ago somebody was playing circus music over ops frequency.

Buck
 

olympus593

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 22, 2005
Posts
568
Total Time
15000
buckdanny said:
I am Mesa (but not for much longer) and Philly really is that bad. Not only delays but cancelations too. in the last 5 weeks I had at least one or two cancelled turns. Last night it took 2 hours to reach the runway for take off. 4 weeks ago by day 3 on a 4 days trip we had logged 18 hours block and spent 6.5 in the air. A return to the gate can take 2 hours (one hour to make your way back towards the terminal and another hour to wait for a gate). 4 weeks ago somebody was playing circus music over ops frequency.

Buck

What the problem- We get block or better+full pay for cancellation, I LOVE IT.
 

Beer&Brauts

This is Oklahoma Football
Joined
Jan 17, 2002
Posts
202
Total Time
Enough
Yeah I got two words for that:
CHA CHING!

More important then delays, etc - can you get a good cheese steak in the airport?
 
Top