• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Psa ta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You have no idea what "just about ALL" mainline pilots think first of all. Many of us came from the regionals and know what its like. We're sympathetic to your cause, but most of us left because we saw this coming. However, it is true that we have little sympathy for those who chose to stay then whine about the inevitable finally arriving, and blaming everyone but yourself for the situation you now find yourself in. Second, sorry if the truth hurts, but until your airline flies with its own name on the tail, under its own code, you are a subcontractor who operates at the whims of its mainline partner(s).

The regionals are going to shrink out of existence. This is a fact. We are already flying 88s and 319s to cities I used to fly a turboprop to at ASA. If you want to take your chances at your "career" regional, good luck. I think all of the big regionals will eventually go the way of Comair as their airplanes become less and less relevant. The 717s will completely replace the flying your 700s and 900s do, and your 700/900s will be replacing the 200s for a few years. Eventually, the 700/900s will be gone and mainline will either fly to the cities it used to serve or drop them and code share with turboprop feeders like Silver or Great Lakes. I really see the industry heading back to the way it was in the 80s and early 90s.

I believe you are right, except I think -700/-900 (just the planes) will be absorbed by mainline due to staffing issues at the regionals. Props may be reduced to 9 seats serving out-lying areas because they are not affected by the 1500 hour rule. The 50 seaters will all but disappear, along with the regional airlines that fly them.

The regional industry will pay the consequences of causing its own staffing issues by treating its employees so badly and discouraging new employees from choosing this profession. The GO will be a dust bowl with a few occ-types and middle managers standing around holding pink slips wondering how it all happened.

Last edited:
This will be sold to the pilot group as job security. The leases on the 200's are up in the next 6 years. This is the replacement plan. If they vote no, there will be threats of PSA shutting down.

Boeing just put out an article forecasting half a million pilots needed in the next two decades. US Airways is not the only fish in the sea.

PSA has a strong pilot group. They did vote down the last 900 deal that kept pay rates the same.

It's a matter of not being influenced by scare tactics. Just my opinion.

Which vote are you talking about here?!?! The first 900 vote or the latest one where I believe they voted in the 900 pay rates, while Mesa was in BK. I believe US/Orenstien used those pay rates as the whipsaw against mesa pilots??!?!

The first vote for 900 pay rates were voted down with the help of the J4J guys that were there on property. After they left, looks like PSA voted in their rates with the rally cry......"Just get the airplanes on property, We can fix the pay rates later"

Is this the same strong PSA group that went around PDT and Henson's back in the original RJ agreement?!?!? Is this the same strong PSA group that voted to give their captains 20-30$ pay raises while giving their f/o's 1-2.00 pay raises with the explanation: We are going to get so many planes you won't be there. Oh and don't worry your pay is capped at 7th yr. "

As to the issue being the mainline guys giving away the RJ flying etc etc.....it really is an issue on both sides. Delta guys said it was beneath them to fly the damn things and only wanted "BIG" airplanes. hence comair came in and provided feed at a nice low rate. That of course started the dominos to tumble. Besides that, show me, besides the comair group, and regional where it's pilots have stood up and said, YES we will fly those aircraft....at the same pay and benefits that the Mainline guys would get.

I think that is 0.

The prognostications will surely change when the prognosticators are declined an offer of employment from their dream legacy carrier.

Crzipilot said:
Besides that, show me, besides the comair group, and regional where it's pilots have stood up and said, YES we will fly those aircraft....at the same pay and benefits that the Mainline guys would get.

I think that is 0.

AWAC's 2001 contract was ratified after Comair 2001 and earlier ACA 2001, building on both of them.

Of course concessions were voted in around 2003...and sadly today that contract is near the top of regional industry work rules and 50-seat compensation.

The needs of the many outweighs the needs of the few. To bad that doesn't work in the airline industry. Senior folks will always sell out junior guys.

This TA will pass by +70%.

Your mileage may vary, but based on my experience at ColPinMesEnd, I think this TA will pass at a narrow margin...Which is even worse, because it will demonstrate how divided the pilot group is. Not a whisper of any future here at EN that I am aware of...other than a letter to S.F. that "we will meet at any time to discuss the future of new airplanes on the property" Sad...

Are there more large RJs that us airways can give out or is this for the merger that may or may not happen?

Latest resources

Back