• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PSA or Skywest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Go where you live, dont worry about upgrade.

Ditto.

IB's laws of aviation:

1. You never know what the industry will do tomorrow.
2. The industry is not what it was yesterday.
3. QOL=Money+(Schedule-commute)+company culture
4. Seniority largely controls money and schedules.

-If you're looking for quick upgrade - you're gambling
-If you're trying to guess when majors will be hiring - you're gambling
-If you think you're going to upgrade quickly, get your PIC time right when the majors are hiring - you're on drugs.
-Imagine the worst case of each decision and be prepared to live that for several years.

So, pick an airline where you'll be happy for many years to come, no matter what seat you occupy.
Pick an airline that will most likely be in business for many years to come.

Good luck.

Bus,

just trying to figure your timeline with OO, and your CRJ CA status. When did you get the upgrade on the jet? I have been here JUST over 5 years as well, and still S.O.L. on the upgrade.

I was thinking the same thing. Has he been at the same SkyWest as I have?

I wouldn't count on much growth based on what's been announced. The US Airways flying is more a reshuffling of -200's out of the Delta and Airtran systems with a few being pulled in from the desert. The Alaska codeshare will probably grow to 20-30 airframes at some point. Either way, that's 30-35 airframes of growth potential at an airline with 3100 pilots already. Percentage wise that is small. The rest rules may never materialize. Bottom line, when acessing a regional for upgrade time, base your assumptions on attrition since explosive growth is unlikely.

Last edited:
Don't come to SkyWest expecting a quick upgrade (which depends on your definition). Most upgrades are going to be because of attrition as the fast growth mode for most regionals is over. SkyWest is over 3100 pilots now and the reason some pilots got a quick upgrade on the Brasilia was because many pilots senior to them did not have the required 2500TT and 1000 crew time to upgrade. This is no longer the case and there are probably 1200+ pilots ahead of you waiting for the upgrade. If I were to wager a guess, I would say 4+ years at least for a Brasilia upgrade for a new hire today.

Not sure we'll even have the EMB-120's for another 4+ years...

They've been saying the bro will be gone in a matter of weeks for about 10 years now. Don't believe until you see it.

They've been saying the bro will be gone in a matter of weeks for about 10 years now. Don't believe until you see it.

I don't know who "they" are, and no one I know has ever said anything about "a matter of weeks"...
However I have heard the EMB herd will probably start thinning out in the next couple of years.

Annnnndddd.... Skywest made the decision for me, cancelling and significantly delaying all classes.

Is the music stopping at SKY as oil hits $93 a barrel?

Annnnndddd.... Skywest made the decision for me, cancelling and significantly delaying all classes.

Is the music stopping at SKY as oil hits $93 a barrel?

Sorry to hear about that.. Nothing is a sure thing these days.

Latest resources

Back