Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Professional pilots pay and non professional immigrants pay.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Prop2Jet said:
J bar, THIS ONE IS 4 U!

Thanks for your professionalism and true erudition regarding my comments. I do not think you grasped the point of my posting. It clearly shows that during a career in the airlines you will make more money, even more than a truck driver. Not once did I ever state that I enjoy nor did I ever condone making the wages I am earning now. Do I think it sucks, yes. Do I feel underpaid? Yes. BUT, I know that I can't get something for nothing and it will require years of work to get their.

As for your comments regarding my self valuation, you are far from correct. I have seen both sides of the pay scale and with an advanced degree I have the option to pursue again the buck instead of actually enjoying my job. There are some things in life that are just more important to me than the tax bracket I fit into. Judging by your posts and your attitude I can tell you are young and do not yet realize what commitment and sacrifice will bring you in the end.

I could sit here and call you a rash of bad names which demean you but as I can tell this would only incite more negativity. If I am a moron, by the way that is correct spelling not MORRON, (funny how that works) then I guess after I get my "2 hours" so you say, I will figure it all out just like you. O wait your still flying, so what is it I am supposed to figure out?

P2J
P2J,

No you really are an idiot. If you have an advanced degree why would you not demand more for your services. I bet you advanced degree is in something aviation related. You are a classic case study in sjs. Those big buck figures you post are IF you make it to a major, If the contracts at majors are worth a crap when you get there, IF,IF,IF. The reason we are in the situation that we are is that people like you put up with the pay because they love the job. F------ing ridiculous. The sacrafice that you talk about should be made flight instructing, slinging freight, pipeline patrol, skydivers, and anyother crap job that you can think of. Not at the airlines. You don't have enough time to have a opinion or perspective. Pop your cherry and then we will talk.

p.s. please don't bother to point out any typos or spelling errors because no one cares.

Salty Pirate said:
If you have an advanced degree why would you not demand more for your services.

Why don't you spend the rest of your life DEMANDING higher pay and let the rest of us know how it turns out for you. Ignorant @ss.

I've been doing the regional gig for almost ten years now, and I make 80K per year.

I love the job though, and truth be told, I'd do it for less (50k is my personal bottom limit).

If I wanted to make lots of $$$ and be miserable, I'd have stayed in law school. For all those who only care about $$$, I'd strongly suggest you look into another line of work.

For those who just want to fly, decide what's the lowest you care to work for, be realistic about what the airline future looks like (it's gonna get worse before -- IF -- it gets better), and decide if OTJ happiness is worth more than your paycheck. For some it is, for some it ain't.

.02 cents.

FreedomAList said:
I've been doing the regional gig for almost ten years now, and I make 80K per year.

I love the job though, and truth be told, I'd do it for less (50k is my personal bottom limit).

If I wanted to make lots of $$$ and be miserable, I'd have stayed in law school. For all those who only care about $$$, I'd strongly suggest you look into another line of work.

For those who just want to fly, decide what's the lowest you care to work for, be realistic about what the airline future looks like (it's gonna get worse before -- IF -- it gets better), and decide if OTJ happiness is worth more than your paycheck. For some it is, for some it ain't.

.02 cents.

Just imagine, if there weren't people like you in this industry willing to fly a mainline-sized aircraft for regional pay, we'd all be richer and better employed. But you HAVE to fly. I have so many more priorities in my life including famliy and my self respect as a professional than pay too.

Anyway, the employment satisfaction versus pay debate is not the scope of my post; it is rather, I enjoy seeing the FNGs and the guys with a few years under the belt doing the profession duke it out. Up and comers should pay attention to their seniors (except to the above qouted azz and a few others)and learn a thing or two and keep self respect in the back of their minds... or we are all F-ed.

Tailwinds...

Last edited:
g159av8tor said:
Just imagine, if there weren't people like you in this industry willing to fly a mainline-sized aircraft for regional pay, we'd all be richer and better employed. But you HAVE to fly. I have so many more priorities in my life including famliy and my self respect as a professional than pay too.

Anyway, the employment satisfaction versus pay debate is not the scope of my post; it is rather, I enjoy seeing the FNGs and the guys with a few years under the belt doing the profession duke it out. Up and comers should pay attention to their seniors (except to the above qouted azz and a few others)and learn a thing or two and keep self respect in the back of their minds... or we are all F-ed.

Tailwinds...
amen brother,

flying is so far down on my list of priorities that I need a GI scope to find it. The only way I can respect myself is to do cdo's, fly 30 hrs a month and get paid for 80. That way my hourly rate is respectable. Then I call in sick 3 times a year to get some extra vacation time. Pretty sad that the only way I feel right about my job is by dodging flights and working the system. When the rest of you clowns figure out that the pilot gig doesn't boost your game any and that you still can't score chicks and the glow in your parents eyes dims and they get sick of subsidizing there 27 year old kids career and ban your piehole from the icebox a paycheck might start to look appealing. Wait I already know the answer, I just love to fly!!

Dorks

I've been in the industry plenty long enough to know what's in my best interests; 15 years total, about half at an airline, and I'm quite happy with my 90K and 16 days off. I suppose I could have gone into a different occupation like medicine or whatever, but why would I want the stress and long hours that go with them? My job is easy, I never take work home, I have the time and ability to travel wherever I want for free. Life is good.

You say I should refuse to work for so little? I should drive a truck instead? lol :D Sorry, but I didn't choose this profession to make it better for someone else; I chose it to make myself happy. Not to worry, though, if you're bitter about your career expectations of 300K pilot pay fading, there are still plenty of those glamorous 50K plumber jobs. :)

I don't think anyone should make 300k a year either thats insane and unsustainable. I've been in the industry long enough, I don't feel that its right to take a 40% paycut from flying a 310 when you move to the airlines. My beef is with the fresh off the boat guys that are willing to whore themselves out for nothing to avoid building time and experience in GA. That is what lowers the bar and keeps us perpetually bent over

Unfortunately, from their perspective it makes sense. Why spend several years flight instructing for 15K or flying beat up Barons around at night for not much more just to build experience wnen you could take a part 121 jet job for 18K and move up the career ladder that much faster?

Latest resources

Back