Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Professional pilots pay and non professional immigrants pay.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So what are we supposed to do?

Obviously I am new, and my perspective is not/has not been warped yet.

So what is the solution to our low wages?

Pilot salaries will probably never go back up to the historically high rates they used to command. Although you may wish to compare the pilot profession to that of a doctor, lawyer or any other high-paid professional which it ranks along with, the compensation will not achieve parity. This is due to the economic, psychological and sociological dynamics that govern the aviation industry and all those who work in it.

Airline travel is not what it used to be, either is being a doctor for that matter either. They are short-changed all the time with the increase in HMO's and the insurance companies stingier payment plans. It's becoming less economically feasible to attend medical school with the lowered salaries and increased malpractice insurance premiums.

Airline travel will increase in the coming years. I'm pretty sure of that. We've become more global and flying has become more routine. The economy is cyclical. REGARDLESS of who is in the Whitehouse. There will be more flying jobs, but pilots will be paid less. They’ve realized that this is a profession that can and will be exploited.

Green said:
Call me crazy but I just don't think 90k is anything to write home about these days. That should be on the low end of fo pay. We should be in the 200-300k range for an airline captain. I keep bringing this up on the boards but the AVERAGE ATC pay is 165k per year including benefits. Now lets assume benefits are worth 30k/year (high end) then that means the average air traffic controller makes at least 135k year cash! Pilots aren't even close to that on average. Airline pilots should be able to afford to buy a house in San Francisco, Lax, Sea, San, NY, Bos, etc just like all the doctors, lawyers, real estate agents, etc that live in those areas.

Dude,

Have you been paying attention to the state of the airline industry? Do you think that the current economics can stand to pay those type of salaries? The answer is no and you are seeing it in action and if an airline tried, another will take advantage of that prospective carrier's cost structure and take business away from it. Pilots made these salaries back in the days when they were in SHORT SUPPLY and the industry was GROWING. Right now we are plagued with excess capacity and with folks willing to become pilots by paying huge $$$ for training and or enrolling in these PFT contracts. Barries to entry to this profession are virtually non-existant, so long as you have $$$.

We are not Doctors or Lawyers nor can we compare our profession to theirs. And we are not FAA controllers (government job) For entry into those professions is better protected than ours. For example, our written pilot exams, such as the ATP, are a joke. Compare that to taking the Bar Exam or taking the USMLE. There are no GLEIM or ASA Pubs to pass these professional exams. If we had a real ATP or Commercial Pilot exam akin to what these professional exams demand we would not have as many certificated pilots in the work force, and the SHORT SUPPLY of these would fix our depressed wages.

This is what we, as professional pilots should focus on and what our unions should focus. The wages will fix themselves. Just look how the AMA does it for its Doctors.

Regards,

Uhhh the JAA ATPL exams are no joke, but the bar is getting lower and lower in Europe (peeps paying for there A320/737 types left and right)

FD

Republic Airlines Gets FAA Certificate
Tuesday August 30, 4:44 pm ET
Republic Airlines Gets FAA Certificate; to Fly US Airways Express Passengers in September

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Republic Airlines on Tuesday received an operating certificate from the Federal Aviation Administration, and said it expects to begin flying passengers for US Airways Express beginning in September.
The unit of Republic Airways Holdings Inc. said it plans to operate 28 aircraft for US Airways.

"This is an important milestone in the development of our company and will allow us to continue to grow and expand our business with the Embraer 170/190 family of aircraft," said Bryan Bedford, Republic Airways chairman, president and chief executive, in a statement.

Shares of Republic Airways closed down 19 cents at $13.09 on the Nasdaq

190 for 19,000 a year. great job

se1776 said:
190 for 19,000 a year. great job

And who is forcing these jobs on our pilots? Last I knew this was a volunteer career. As long as guys keep taking the low pay it will only get worse. And to those who agree to the low pay and want to complain about it a year later........ STOP THAT!

Typical pussification. We all want to blame someone or something else. If you get into aviation for a living at a given payrate, then that was your decission and only you are responsible for that choice.

Latest resources

Back