Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Professional pilots pay and non professional immigrants pay.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nindiri said:
Unfortunately, from their perspective it makes sense. Why spend several years flight instructing for 15K or flying beat up Barons around at night for not much more just to build experience wnen you could take a part 121 jet job for 18K and move up the career ladder that much faster?
Because your slitting your our throat. First of all you have no right to have humans in your plane with less than 1000 multi. 9 time out of 10 they will be bitching about the job in a year because they have no other job in aviation to compare it to. If they weren't willing to work for nothing the industry would be forced to up the wage, simple supply and demand. ALPA needs to start its education at the college level so young pilots would realize they spent 80k on education and shouldn't work for free.
why does a 2 year nursing degree pay 50-60k? because there is a high demand and the job isn't considered fun so they have to pay you to do it.

Salty Pirate said:
First of all you have no right to have humans in your plane with less than 1000 multi.

That may be a good opinion, but no more valid than the young guy who says 200 hours multi is enough. Is there objective evidence of it being true, or is it just a number that you and I might like? There is no moral obligation for the young pilot to accept our opinion just because we want to boost average pay.

Is he hurting average pay and benefits for the profession? Maybe, but again his first obligation is to advance his own career, not to sacrifice it for the good of others who already have a job.

Not saying it's a good system, just that I can't blame a guy for taking a job that will benefit him personally over the long-term.

Nindiri said:
That may be a good opinion, but no more valid than the young guy who says 200 hours multi is enough. Is there objective evidence of it being true, or is it just a number that you and I might like? There is no moral obligation for the young pilot to accept our opinion just because we want to boost average pay.

Is he hurting average pay and benefits for the profession? Maybe, but again his first obligation is to advance his own career, not to sacrifice it for the good of others who already have a job.

Not saying it's a good system, just that I can't blame a guy for taking a job that will benefit him personally over the long-term.
of course the guy with 200hrs says he's ready, the guy with 50hrs says they are ready. FAA puts a number on just about every position except 121 fo. I think they should require ATP or 135 mins. They aren't helping they're career they are hurting it by turning a position that should be the start of a new career into an entree level job. Don't you think you should be able to have a family and move out of the basement when you are an airline pilot? If the faa won't let you fly checks in a 210 why can you cart around grandma and gramps in the rj.

Well, no one ever accused the FAA of being overly intelligent. Honestly, though, I don't see how a few hundred more hours of multi is going to make that much difference in an FO. I can fix any technical mistakes my FO makes, but what I'm more interested in is his attitude and willingness to learn.

Nindiri said:
Well, no one ever accused the FAA of being overly intelligent. Honestly, though, I don't see how a few hundred more hours of multi is going to make that much difference in an FO. I can fix any technical mistakes my FO makes, but what I'm more interested in is his attitude and willingness to learn.
they're not there to learn, this isn't school, I'm not doubting your skill but nobody can fix any and all mistakes. They are supposed to be a crew member who has the capts back and aids in decision making, not a student. Is the fo at any mainline up there learning. Why do the lcc flying 100 seat aircraft require 1000 pic turbine to ride right seat. It isn't fair the the folks in the back to have somebody flying who can't get insurance on a high performance single, and would be dangerous w/o an autopilot and fms. Many guys that I have flown with complain about inexperienced fo's, I think you should make your mistakes when the stakes are a little lower.

Last edited:
se1776 said:
Non professional Immigrants working illegally in this country makes more money than professional Pilots.

My friend came illegally from Central America two years ago.

the first year he made $34,000 as a truck driver helper

working Monday thru Friday 8 to 5 He doesn’t even read and write Spanish. Not to say the English language.

The sad thing is that a pilot spent all that money in training to make $19,000 to $21,000 the first year and $24,000 to $32,000 the second year.

Why?
Then go be an illegal immigrant---simple enough

BE LEGAL or ILLEGAL is not what my point of view.

the point is the pay that you US Citizen pilots get for flying those birds.
been a US Citizen you should get way more than that.
Why make $19,000 when you know that's bull sh!t.
in the near future the airlines will pay $10,000 to fly a 737.
The sad thing is that some of you guys will do it.
Soon it be better to volunteer at the airlines than work just like the fire dept or the hospital.
Come on guys stop screwing yourself with those rates.this is a career
I mean a great career not a game.

I meet a retired Concord Captain he flew 13,000 in his career he retired rich he have a big house here in the NY area.. He said that he is really disappointed with the way those airlines pay their pilots.

Latest resources

Back