Professional Pilot Salary Study 2005

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GVFlyer

Does anybody but me think that the Professional Pilot Salary Study 2005 is skewed way to the low side? Since I left the Big G, I earn significantly more than what they are showing even as high salary for a chief pilot and thats before counting what I get for consultant work from my former employer and the stock options I get from my present one. I don't think my experience is atypical; I know other G550 and Global captains whose base compensation is at least $175K. I think a magazine article such as this that low balls salaries does us all a disservice when our respective human captial departments go out looking to see how much to give us for our annual raises, bonuses and other perks.

GV

I did not look at the JokePilot salary survey yet this year.

However, I dont know many GV/GLEX pilots making over 175K. Most I know are in the 120-160K range before the laundry list of perks...a few with private owners seem to be near the top, most with large companies seem in the previous range....

What kind of gigs are we talking here? spend 6 months/yr in Saudi, fly 800hrs (2 pilots) no thanks.....are you talking regular Fortune XX decent jobs?

If the norm to you and your friends starts at 175K and well North of 200K is normal, I am certainly hangin out in the wrong places.....and I hate that thought.....please PM me with any hiring contact info you can. (Im not kidding.)

Thanks!

Last edited:
GVFlyer said:
Does anybody but me think that the Professional Pilot Salary Study 2005 is skewed way to the low side? Since I left the Big G, I earn significantly more than what they are showing even as high salary for a chief pilot and thats before counting what I get for consultant work from my former employer and the stock options I get from my present one. I don't think my experience is atypical; I know other G550 and Global captains whose base compensation is at least $175K. I think a magazine article such as this that low balls salaries does us all a disservice when our respective human captial departments go out looking to see how much to give us for our annual raises, bonuses and other perks.

GV

I'm with you, GV. We also make north of 200k once everything is added up. If our HR department looks at that magazine they will be telling us we're over compensated.

Well when you have idiot, suck up, ass kissing scabs such as Clay Lacey writing for your Magazine what else would you expect?

The 135 #'s are better than what I make. Looks like it evens out! Honestly, I'd love to have a chance at one of those gigs.

Looks like the senior Gulfstream captains at NJI are making about $10k more than the average NBAA G550 captain while I'm making about fifteen grand less than the average NBAA Citation X captain...

Go figure.

I agree with G200 100%

What kind of gigs are we talking here? spend 6 months/yr in Saudi, fly 800hrs (2 pilots) no thanks

I think the real question is "What's in a salary?"

I look at those salary numbers all the time, and of course none of it means anything to me for a while because I'm still in that "Lucky to be here, so don't bitch stage" :) The thing that applies though is where the salary comes from.

I don't know where anyone is based and can only speak for myself, but a $180k salary is just as bad as a $40K salary if I would have to live, say in TEB or in the middle of absolute nowhere. Granted enough vacation would ease the pain, but with today's housing market, the traffic up there, and everything else is it really worth it to have a couple higher numbers in your paycheck to deal with it everyday?

I understand most of us have mouths to feed and we all don't share the same personality and might like to live in places like that, but it wouldn't be worth it to me to be miserable everyday for money. I think that we should be happy that we all do what we love everyday and are lucky enough to get paid half way descent for it. Look at a teacher who loves kids, or a marine biologist who loves animals both are rewarding jobs that don't pay dik. We get to fly all over the place an chase women and eat at nice resturants on the company dime, to most of my friends on the outside that is the coolest thing in the world. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

By all means I am not flaming anyone, it's just a different perspective. I would love to make the numbers that are in there, I could use a bigger boat and a new truck, but the huge salary numbers usually come from places that I would not want to live and schedules I would never want to have. Granted I see where everyone is coming from, a G-V is a G-V no matter where you live and takes the same basic knowledge and skill to fly one. (Although no one else has the near wizard-like wealth of knowledge about it like GVFlyer;)) And the pay should represent itself equally most of the time.

Success is the only word that really doesn't have a definition, it is self defined. Again, I can only speak for myself, but there is an awful lot of wealthy miserable people out there, and I wouldn't want to trade my life for theirs. A good schedule, good place to live, not wearing a tie, and getting treated pretty good are worth more to me than money. I still am human though and making a lot of money on top of all that would be tre' sweet, but its not the only thing in the world.

Good Luck with the increases this year, hope everyone can be made happy:D

Gearmunky said:
I'm still in that "Lucky to be here, so don't bitch stage"

...aren't we all :)

...living in the NY area isn't as bad as you make it seem (although i don't live there anymore). there are a lot of nice places to live there. and traffic is only a hassle on the one or two days a week you might fly- and then it is not during rush hours. 200k would go a long way to ease the pain of a little traffic- although i think that number is a tad inflated. :)

You can do just fine in the NY/NJ area on 180-200K.

Traffic is also easier here than places like LA, San Fran, DC, South Florida, etc...its really not bad - especially with a corp schedule. If I have to be on the road at rush hour 3X a year thats a lot.

Does money go as far as the South? probably not...but one can do just fine on 180K.

A nice benefit - when your job goes away (oh they all do) you are in a great area to job shop..If you are GIV/GV/GLEX qualified and cant find SOME kind of flying employment in the NY area in a reasonable amount of time - there is something very wrong...

but to each his own.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back