Professional Pilot Salary Study 2005

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
hotwing said:
I am curious, what are the real salaries for a large corp flight department that has an all Gulfstream fleet consisting of G550(s) and G450(s)...

I know two large banks out of HPN and I would be very, very surprised if they had more than 3 or 4 regular line captains making over $150K, my guess is that niether has a regular line pilot over $175k.

I remember last year a good buddy of mine interviewed at Citi, they were looking for a Global Express & F900 captain (dual qual). They called my buddy back for a sim ride and told him that they were starting at $90K. He said asked if that was FO and they said, "no that's captain". He asked about a raise or if they were negotiable, they said, "no".
He told them to save the sim money because they needed it more then he did. He now has a $175K G4 job at the same field and they got what they paid for.

Moral of the story, The jobs are out there if you look but for every descent job their is some dirtbag operation that will try to under pay you to work 17+ days a month if you let them.

I Wish

Flying Illini said:
If that's the percentage you ended up with, what did you start out asking for?!
You must have some weight to throw around to be able to bargain for that much...what do you have, pictures of the boss with his mistress? :)

I wish I had pix of owner/mistress. No, it was a sound business decision. I was not typed in the aircraft so owner paid for school. My starting pay was somewhere in between that of Frac and NBAA salary with the understanding that after one year I would have a progressive salary increase over two years to come into parity with corpoate salary for right seat. The second year I upgrade to left seat for part 91 segments and at the end of two years renegotiate for captain salary.

A fair and equitable salary, type rating, rapid upgrade and other considerations made this an excellent avenue for me to super-mids. I couldn't be happier.

I would think that some are high and some are low. In my case, though I haven't seen the 2005 study, I have seen others and they always say I am way underpaid. I guess it's one of those "Your Mileage May Vary" situations.

aeronautic1 said:
I wish I had pix of owner/mistress. No, it was a sound business decision. I was not typed in the aircraft so owner paid for school. My starting pay was somewhere in between that of Frac and NBAA salary with the understanding that after one year I would have a progressive salary increase over two years to come into parity with corpoate salary for right seat. The second year I upgrade to left seat for part 91 segments and at the end of two years renegotiate for captain salary.

A fair and equitable salary, type rating, rapid upgrade and other considerations made this an excellent avenue for me to super-mids. I couldn't be happier.

You act like the school and type rating is part of your package.

"but they paid for my school"

aint that special!

:( .

From my limited exposure to corporate, I'd say there are a few really great, high paying jobs out there. But they inevitibly go away. If you get one, great but don't count on spending 30 years there.

I'm sure there are exceptions.TC

AA717driver said:
From my limited exposure to corporate, I'd say there are a few really great, high paying jobs out there. But they inevitibly go away. If you get one, great but don't count on spending 30 years there.

I'm sure there are exceptions.TC

True, but I think it's really all on how your viewed by the powers to be.

Some (few) companies are there to realize that your responsible for the safety and lives of the board members, and to safely transport them from A to B with no hassles. Thus, helping the business and keeping the airplane safe.

The other view is "Hey, we want this airplane and the status it brings to our image and the convenience of our own plane, but were gonna need a couple of pilots. Well, these guys work a few hours sit for eight and work a few on the way home, hell that ain't no job what a bunch of cocky lazy pricks." These are the people who work you to death and don't pay squat. After all your only "working" four hours a day:rolleyes:

If they only knew

Ace-of-the-Base said:
They got what they paid for? What did they get? Are you saying they have a bad pilot?

Ace

My buddy has an MBA, former fortune 50 experience, former military, plenty of flight time with time in both types.

What they got was a lear pilot with no time in either type, half the total time, no MBA, and no big fortune flt department experience. I am sure he is a great pilot and a great guy.

My point is that his resume was no where near the best in the pile but it was the best that $90k will get you.

If you were the CEO of the largest bank in America who would you want as your next captain?

I am not saying that this is the case, since I have no first hand knowledge but I have seen this all to often. Our folks are paid with in the top 50% (of the companies I choose) and our turn over rates are within acceptable limits (when compared to other departments with in the company, not other flt departments). Their are all to many flight departments that are willing to hire lower time pilots with no type ratings because they will fly for whatever you offer. In a lot of the major departments the training budget is seperate from the salery budget. So, downtown never picks up on the fact that you are paying twice what the average department spends at FSI because your people only stick around for the free types and the experience, then move on. Downtown just looks at the salery survey and how much the aviation manager is saving them.

Last edited:
I cant even make over 35K

If you were the CEO of the largest bank in America who would you want as your next captain?

Most CEO's didnt get to where they are by paying high salaries when they can pay lower salaries.

Most of the richest people I deal with are very tight with their money. They didnt make it by spending all

Latest resources

Back