Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CatfishVT9

Anti-Democrat
Well, I didn't expect to have this problem, but here goes.

I was all fired up to head to AirTran next month, but went to a JetBlue interview last week and was extremely impressed with what they have going on. In addition to a great experience at the interview, I got a tour of the JFK facilities from a buddy who is a new JB captain. It's clear that these folks are doing everything possible to get a firm grip on customer loyalty by going above and beyond what I've ever seen at any airline with respect to customer service. Additionally, every employee I spoke with had an incredibly positive attitude about working there. This includes all the gate agents and even ramp folks I met before leaving Tampa. I know that some JB bashers will call these folks "koolaid drinkers", but to me it seemed to be an infectious sense of teamwork and pride.

I thought for sure that I would still choose AirTran for my first pick as a better fit for me based on an ATL base and being able to get in on the ground floor of the 737 program (and not to go to SWA). I even went so far as to buy an airport car a few days ago to drive to ATL for class on 3 June. On the other hand, it looks like JB will have a 190 base in MCO (1+10 min drive from my house). Yeah, pay's a little less but reserve at home would be awesome. Any talk of AirTran basing 737s at MCO?

So here's the problem. I thought for sure my mind was made up. That's easy when there's only one firm offer. But, this morning I got a call from JetBlue with a conditional offer to start with them on 2 June!

Now that I really do have the option of two great companies, it's a little harder to just go with my decision without seeking a little more input and checking out the pros and cons on both sides.

Ok folks let's hear it. Please no flames, just some thoughts from those of you that are already there.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Catfish:confused: :)

What a tough decision! And how lucky are you to have 2 offers for a job! Although Airtran is a better fit for you geographically, I think professionally JB would be the winner in my opinion. I am not a big fan of NY, but you would move quickly and the options with JB are great.

Remember what the experts say about test taking? Go with your first instinct; the majority of the time you will be right.

Not much help I know, but you don't have much time to debate this before you need to prepare for your training!

My gut says JB, what about you?:confused:

Advice

I tell my friends when they are looking at carriers to do the following:

List in your order of preference the 5 or 6 you personally value the most in terms of your ideal company. A sampling

1. Pay
2. Job security
3. Upgrade time
4. Health benefits
5. Commute or not commuting
6. QOL issues, scheduling issues
7. Type of equipment...big metal
8. Type of flying...long haul vs. shorthaul, international vs domestic
9. Stability of managment
10. Retirement plans
11. Business model
12. Relationships between employee groups

There are many more & these don't reflect my order of priority but after doing this exercise make sure your realize that after going to the carrier it is unlikely their priorities are going to change alot so if you're goals/charactertistics change you are most likely to be unhappy since you won't be aligned with the company's goals. A honest appraisal maybe difficult & you don't have a lot of time but you might consider it to find out what you "truly" believe is important & then pursue that company.

cheers & good luck....you are a fortunate aviator but you know that !!

Yes, I'm a little bias but if you're interested in a quick advance to the left seat, JB may be the way to go. I know upgrades are in the 2 year time frame now but that will change quickly with the intro of the 190 next August.

JB is a great place to work and I feel very fortunate to be here.

Congratulations on having to make this decision.

See ya on line,

Stick-N

There are a few of us that were at AirTran first before going to JetBlue. My sim partner at AirTran is still waiting for upgrade. I have been a Captain at JetBlue for over a year already.

Work at one and buy up stock at the other! :D Then you can't go wrong, right?

You can't jumpseat yet, but you need to have some serious beers with buddies at both companies. Bury yourself in the "bad" side to each of them. Then compare.

How bitter will you be if MCO NEVER becomes a hub for JB (not likely).

How disappointed will you be as a 717 FO for 5 years if upgrades don't happen (again..not likely).

Where do you WANT to work? What does your wife think?

Which culture best fits your personality?

Take a look at a bidpack and compare trips. Which look better to you?

Skirt had a great list of variables when she voted with her feet from a major moving over to JB. Do a search and re-read her post...it had some good insights.

Good luck. Everyone guffaws at you, but it really is a TOUGH call when you have to choose between two great choices. Glad you went to the interview, though...

Congrats Catfish...

You say that JetBlue gave you a conditional letter of employment.

Are they still hiring into the A320?

What aircraft did they say you would get?

If it is the EMB-190, then you might want to consider AirTran instead.

1. The 717 pays better than a JB EMB-190.
2. The upgrade time is about 2.5 years....shorter if you want to upgrade to the 737.
3. The 717 is a full size aircraft...the EMB is an RJ.
4. You stated your commute to ATL would be easier than JFK.
5. There is a good chance that MCO will become their next base.
6. There are no 5 year employment contracts to sign at AirTran.
7. AirTran pilots and F/A's are unionized.

I don't work for AirTran, so all of this info comes to me via friends who work there now. They may not be as flashy as JetBlue, but they are on solid financial footing. The choice is ultimately yours. Either carrier would be great. It's basically just a matter of what works best for you logistically and personally.

Those are all some great comments guys (except for the that dadburn RJ debate again)........

I did call a bud with JetBlue that just upgraded to Capt recently and talked for a while. I was unaware that they had a profit sharing program. Airtran doesn't, right? I thought the pay was better at AirTran after about the 7-8 year mark, but that may put JB ahead. Anyone?

I had mentioned Orlando as a base, but FLL is only a 4 hour drive from here too so either would work.

The commute would be equal ATL vs. JFK, but reserve in ATL would be better with family to crash with.

Oh, and Albie, I already own stock in AirTran........

Still thinkin'.......:)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back